Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Brisket at Costco

I went to Costco (Rockwall, TX) this afternoon and was shocked to see they had Prime. They had 10-16 lbers. I haven't ever seen this in the past but then again I haven't shopped for a lot of briskest there. Does anyone one if they carry them on a regular basis? image
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
image.jpg 1017.3K

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I've never seen a packer brisket in any grade in the Costcos out here in CA. They only carry choice flats here. At that price/lb for prime, I'd stock up!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Dang-if you have the choice between lucky and good-take lucky every time,  Quite the deal-flats only are now upped to $4.99/# (within the last couple of weeks) in the land of Kentucky Jelly.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Best brisket I have ever cooked was excel prime. That price is a joke (in a good way). I would buy as many as you are comfortable with.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Choice flats in IL. I'm jealous!
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Here in the Phonix area (Glendale) Costco has been carrying CAB prime briskets for about a year. Thats what we are using for our practice briskets. They run about $2.35 $2.45 a pound.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Flats only in SoCal and about $4-5/#. I'd scoop up as many of those as I could possibly store at that price. Worst case have them ground for burgers (which is not a bad option at all )!

Cheers

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Here in Albuquerque costco only sells flats :(  would love to find one
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Atlanta Costco's only sell flats for 4.99 a pound as well. Fergusons Meat market in Cumming usually has nice packers priced reasonably.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Austin costco had prime today. $2.99/lb. They were huge. also had choice for $2.49/lb.
  • Which one?  South or North?  Dang, it's going to be hard to get there from Bastrop.  Might well be worth the effort though.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Yeah, the prices were the same here. Why would anyone buy choice to save .50/lb? I'm going back tomorrow to stock up.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Just choice flats here in Bay Area,,
  • Which one?  South or North?  Dang, it's going to be hard to get there from Bastrop.  Might well be worth the effort though.

our Randall's in Lakeway has excel choice for $1.79 per lb. HEB in bee cave had prime today for $3.99. The 1.79 excel choice are a steal. Check your Randall's and see if they have them. The flyer says "ranchers reserve" which are all select but in our store they had 100% excel choice.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The south costco on William cannon.
  • North Austin Costco has prime for $2.69.  Choice was $2.45  The meat cutter said they will continue stocking prime briskets @ $2.69 as a normal item.

Cedar Park, TX
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    I picked up two this weekend from the Costco in north Austin and was told the same thing as @hoffmand.  I'm glad I asked, because at that price I was going to buy all they had, then purchase a huge freezer.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Need to check my Costco, $2.69 for prime brisket is great. Hope this is the case in PA.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Good looking out.I live in Greenville. Que n brew what kind of lump are you using?and where are you getting it?

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156235/i-bought-a-brisket#latest

They were 2.65 per lb a few weeks back.  Definitely still a steal though.
  • Do you guys just see these in the tray? I swear we only have small briskets at the local Costco. The pork butts are huge, but the briskets? Not so much. May just be an NC thing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • hoffmand said:

North Austin Costco has prime for $2.69.  Choice was $2.45  The meat cutter said they will continue stocking prime briskets @ $2.69 as a normal item.

I hope that is true. I'll buy that all day and twice on Sunday.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • texaswig said:
    Good looking out.I live in Greenville. Que n brew what kind of lump are you using?and where are you getting it?

I am using RO and get it at WalMart. I tried some different brands earlier this year when the RO I was getting was mostly small pieces. The only one I liked was OO but it was $13/bag so I only used one bag. The RO I've been getting lately has been great...a lot of big pieces. The only problem with RO is that WalMart doesn't seem to think people cook on their smokers except for the summer months and it is hard to find in the Fall/Winter. I just bought (4) more bags this week.
  • And yes...since my first post, Costco had dropped the price of the Prime briskest to $2.69/lb. They are only .20 more per lb than choice! Crazy!!! @JohnInCarolina...they are in the meat section right next to the choice briskest. There is also usually a good size selection from 8-16 lbers depending on what you need.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    This thread is ticken me off. All you folks out there getting prime brisket. Finding a packer round my neck of the woods is near impossible and $7-8 per pound if I want to get choice. Are these prime briskets Packers or just flats? I'm about to complain to my Costco either way.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Will Costco let you shop without a membership? Maybe a one time trial or something?
  • TEggSun
    yzzi said:
    This thread is ticken me off. All you folks out there getting prime brisket. Finding a packer round my neck of the woods is near impossible and $7-8 per pound if I want to get choice. Are these prime briskets Packers or just flats? I'm about to complain to my Costco either way.
    They are full packers.  I've smoked two thus far, and they are phenomenal.

• TEggSun
    Will Costco let you shop without a membership? Maybe a one time trial or something?
    Travis,

Unfortunately not.  You can get your membership fee refunded at any time, however.

• I am an hour and a half from the nearest Costco...sucks.  Looks like I am going to have to have my brother do some shopping for me.
    Albion, PA
  • I'm 50 min from the north Austin Costco. Looks like I'll be getting a membership tomorrow and making the long drive.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @travisstrick

If you know someone with a membership, you can piggyback on them and make purchases. You just can't write a check. Cash, Amex, debit.

I do recommend getting one though. Around me, buying a gallon of milk there per week pays for the membership with the savings over the local grocer.