Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help purchasing a Kitchenaid Mixer

2»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    edited July 2013
    I have their pasta rollers, (it was a choice between them and an electric motor for my existing Atlas manual-crank machine).  It's so easy and fun to use, I normally make fresh pasta weekly throughout the colder months.  
    Glad I went with the KitchenAid  attachment rather than upgrading my Atlas for a couple reasons:  the KitchenAid rollers are about 12" above the countertop, giving you lots of room for your hands and the sheets of dough (the Atlas rollers were about 4" above the counter).  Secondly, the Atlas was extremely fiddly trying to attach it to the counter, and often came loose while I was hand-cranking it.  With the KitchenAid, I just slide it out and rotate it 90 degrees; its heavy enough that it doesn't go anywhere.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    brianbala said:
    michigan_jason - in the spirit of RAKit last week, feel free to apply your discount to the nice 70" Samsung smart TV I've had my eye on for my new man-cave...  KCCO 
    I am all about random acts! I will see what I can do!

KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    At $100... BUY!!! BUY!!! BUY!!!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I have the 600 pro series as well. Cant say one thing bad about it. I have a meat grinder and a shredder as attachments. I also want to get the grain mill attachment. Go for it guy, you will be happy.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    DO NOT BUY THAT MODEL!!!  You want one with the bowl that screws into the bottom of the mxer.  I had this model with the arms that support the bowl and hated it.  Wobbled and was not a good fit for some of the whisks etc...  Ended up selling on craigslist and getting the better one
  • I'll help ya Jason. Just give me the coupon code...
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I found you one at a bakery I was at today.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Big Ragu said:
    DO NOT BUY THAT MODEL!!!  You want one with the bowl that screws into the bottom of the mxer.  I had this model with the arms that support the bowl and hated it.  Wobbled and was not a good fit for some of the whisks etc...  Ended up selling on craigslist and getting the better one
    Out of the box, our 600 had an issue with the whisk rubbing on the bowl.  After reading the instruction book, I found 2 things that helped.  There is a clip in the back of the lifter mechanism that holds the bowl in place.  There is also an adjustment procedure that explains how to adjust the bowl so that the attachments do not rub on the bowl.  After following the adjustment and using the latching clip no problems.  The adjustment was very easy and was completed with a straight blade screwdriver.  Apparently after shipping it needs to be set up.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I had no alignment problems with my 600 KA out of box.  As noted, there is a strong clip/spring mechanism at back of bowl so you have to push back of bowl down and it snaps/locks frimly in place--if you don't snap it in, then bowl is tilted toward front and attachments will hit the bowl when in use.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I have the 5 qt artisan series and I have every attachment except for the meat grinder and ravioli maker. I really like the ice-cream maker (makes 2 quarts at a time which is a much higher capacity than my stand alone ice-cream maker) the pasta roller / cutter is very handy if you want to make homemade pasta. The slicer / shredder works ok and was much cheaper than getting a new food processor. I think you will be happy with the 6 quart one especially for that price. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Have the 600 Pro, 6 qt bowl, been on the counter for years. You can mix cement in this thing, or make pizza dough for a single 14" pie. 
    The most used attachments are:
    Grinder - makes excellent ground beef/pork/turkey.
    Shredder - makes a mountain of slaw for pulled pork events. 
    Never used the pasta maker, son's MIL is Italian - she looks after that for us. 
    Great buy, happy mixing!
    +1  Same get up except no Italian MIL....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Wow. Y'all are serious about your mixers. If money was not an issue, I'd probably have one too. No way am I spend that on something I would rarely use.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Solson005 said:

I have the 5 qt artisan series and I have every attachment except for the meat grinder and ravioli maker. I really like the ice-cream maker (makes 2 quarts at a time which is a much higher capacity than my stand alone ice-cream maker) the pasta roller / cutter is very handy if you want to make homemade pasta. The slicer / shredder works ok and was much cheaper than getting a new food processor. I think you will be happy with the 6 quart one especially for that price. 

So do i not buy the slicer/shredder seeing as how last week we bought a Cuisinart Elite 14 cup food processor? Going to get the 600 pro series today with the meat grinder and pasta roller. Pretty excited to grind fresh meat for burgers.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Solson005 said:

So do i not buy the slicer/shredder seeing as how last week we bought a Cuisinart Elite 14 cup food processor? Going to get the 600 pro series today with the meat grinder and pasta roller. Pretty excited to grind fresh meat for burgers.
    Get the Ice Cream Maker Attachment too! :D

I wouldn't get the slicer/shredder...no point...your food processor will do a better job.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Like @Cazzy says, if you have a Cuisinart Elite, the shredder attachment is not needed. I've found the shredder attachment works better than my old food processor which is why I bought it, the cabbage pieces are almost jullienned, out of my processor the pieces are too small. 
    Good tip is to weigh the meat you grind, fat and lean. First home ground burgers were too dry, mix was prolly 95-5%, once closer to 80-20%, much better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Yes your cuisinart will do a better job and it is a cheap accessory if you want larger pieces than your food processor. 

I go through each notch of the pasta roller twice before going to the next size. Get ready for some great meals! 

I also use Jamie Oliver's Pizza dough (by weight)  (by cups) and the kitchenaid works great. (I use semolina and 00 flour) 
    For the mixer we did it on speed 1 till it formed a ball, let it rest for 10 minutes, and then 5 minutes on speed 4, then 2 more minutes on speed 1.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Buy it for 100 and I will give you 125 and you make 25% in fifteen minutes   Cant beat that return these days!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2013
    My wife wants a new KA mixer so i did some looking around after reading this.

I found the KA pro 600 series at kohls for 449.00  when i put it in the cart it show 404.00 then i found a 20% off coupon online  FAMILY20 i can get it for 343.43 tax include with free shipping which i think is still a pretty good price

oh i forgot plus a 50 mail in rebate from KA brings the price to 293.43
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM