Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My wings are good but...

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
not great.  The meat is tender and juicy but seems to cling to the bone, doesn't release without a good tug.  How can I get that "fall off the bone" wing?  I cooked indirect at about 275 for a little over an hour, till 160 degrees.  The skin was sort of chewy as well which I know I can remedy by letting the wings dry out in the fridge and add a little corn starch.  I didn't have time to do that today, so I guess I can fix that part at least.  Thanks in advance.  
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I like them direct, on a raised grid. They seem to be more "gummy" when I do them indirect.
  • jls9595
    guess I'll try raised direct next time, thanks
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited July 2013

Check out the following link-scroll on down to the 30-20-10 process:  Works great every time-

http://www.nibblemethis.com/p/recipes.html  And I find it too hard to mess with temp with wings-hard to over-cook and working a thermo in that quantity of food is too much of a supervisory adult beverage challenged event :)>-  YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Indirect. High in the dome. Higher than the felt line.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Try them raised direct @250 for about two hours turning once or maybe some of them twice. They will fall off the bone and had a nice crispy skin. Keep them on until they look right to you.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Indirect @ 450F for 40-45 minute and you'll have nice crispy skin with fall off the bone meat. I never really tried the corn starch trick. I usually sprinkle the wings with some rub before placing the wings on the egg.

There's so much cartridge and other stuff in a wing that it makes it near impossible to over cook unless its burnt. At least that's my opinion. The more you cook it, the more those hard parts seem to tenderize and melt to nothing.
    NW IOWA
  • jls9595
    Awesome, thanks for the comments.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    160 is under done.  There is a lot of collagen that you need to break down.  Take them to 175-185ish and they'll come out much better.  Even if you overshoot, they're pretty forgiving.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Cazzy is being modest, he is a wing expert - his soft wings are among the best we've had, cooked at our house at least every two weeks. They are not crispy, but they are excellent....
    I like raised direct at 350-400º or indirect at 400-450º. 
    @paqman - give the corn starch or baking powder dusting a try for crisp skin. Don't need much, then your rub before the cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2013
    I cook my wings much hotter than 160.  They're dark meat and need to be cooked to 180-190-ish to be tender.  I don't bother with measuring the temp (although I have).  Just take a bite out of one when it feels tender.  No better test than tasting.
    +1 on cooking a little longer.  I cook at 350ish on a raised grid indirect for about an hour until the skin looks the way I want.  I will check them with my thermapen sometimes if they are really meaty and they usually end up in the 180-190 range.  

I also prefer cooking whole wings as opposed to the pre-cut wingettes and drummettes. The cut wings are fine, but I find when you cook the whole wing they come out extra juicy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    wings are a white meat that you cook like a dark meat or thigh meat. juicy in the upper 180's but i like them better cooked into the 190's
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jls9595
    Good info guys, thanks again. Not sure why I thought 160 was the target, the first time I cooked them they were great and I couldn't remember the time and temp I cooked at. Probably hotter and longer than I did the past couple times. I didn't have a thermapen back then but i bet they were closer to 180-190 IT range.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I do them 350-400 raised direct. 30 minutes then flip for 20 minutes,then pull them off and sauce and back on for 10 minutes to tighten up the sauce. Always good.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    wings are a white meat that you cook like a dark meat or thigh meat. juicy in the upper 180's but i like them better cooked into the 190's
    I concur....I was wrong to say they're dark meat.  But they do have a lot of connective tissue and benefit from the breakdown.
    I do my wings at 400 dome and a raised grid to felt level. 30-20-10. I dust with seasoning. cook for 30 minutes. flip and cook for another 20 minutes. Remove and toss in sauce and back on for another 10. I have had tons of compliments on this style of wings especially from a guy who eats wings constantly and from every restaurant. He finally said to me cook me some wings and ill see if theyre as good as you say they are. He came over for some wings and he said these were the best hes ever had anywhere.