Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

someone explain how the maverick et732 works?

It looks like the maverick is one of the favorites and I'd like to purchase one. Can someone tell me how it works? Where the cords run through the egg? Where the dome probe goes? Any detail would be greatly appreciated and I love pics!

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Basically lets you monitor both a grill temp and one IT temp. You can set min and max ranges for the grill temp you're monitoring and a target IT temp. I use mine for low and slow cooks like briskets and pork shoulders. It eliminates the need to list the lid to check meat temps. It has a remote unit that you can use (I think the range is 300ft.) so that your not tied to the egg.

I wrap foil around the cords and try to run them over one of the plate setter legs.

The grill temp probe is clipped onto the grid that my meat is on.

The Maverick does not help control your egg temp.

If you do low and slow cooking I'd say having something like the Maverick is a must.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Make sure the chords are protected inside the egg by wrapping them in foil, or keeping the lines over the legs of the platesetter.

You'll want to put the dome probe as close to the meat as possible, and also be sure that it is over the platesetter when going indirect. If the grate therm is over the gaping platesetter hole, you'll get an inaccurate temp read. The BGE version comes with a clip that easily attached to the cooking grid, so I'm sure the mav is the same.

It works wirelessly after syncing the two devices together. It's really easy to use and accurate as long as the probes are placed correctly.

The only way you'll get inaccurate reads is if the grate probe is over the platesetter hole, or if the meat throbe is touching a bone or all the way though the meat and also reading the dome temp.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• so both cords run in between the top and bottom? on top of the gasket? no airway leakage?

LBGE 2013

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Sorry... yes, I run them between the top and bottom. No airway leakage that I've seen.The wires are pretty thin so, even if you got some leakage I doubt that it would have any real affect on things.

I've read where some run them through the top of the dome. And, one post asked about drilling a hole in the dome... whatever you do don't drill a hole in the dome.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    BTW, I've also used the meat probe to keep track of IT temps during long(er) FTC's.

LBGE 2013

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Usually the side. Guess it would depend on your set up and where you want the base unit to sit.
    just slip them in between the gaskets, i dont foil, dont wash the cables, DONT LET ANYONE WASH THE CABLES OR PROBES, keep the directions, as if its similar to their earlier unit, its not beer friendly, you have to set the high and low temps and then you have to turn the alarms on. i cant tell you how many times i forgot to turn on the alarms at midnight
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Probe wires will not allow an air leak if you have a gasket, the gasket is soft enough it will "form" around the cables. 
    Make sure you put the probe plugs into the transmitter unit with some force, make sure they click into place. I think the seating is "water resistant" as the unit can be used in the rain. Also, I plug in the probes, turn on the receiver unit,  then the transmitter - for some reason, my unit does not want to sync if tried any other way. 
    Use it for indirect cooks only, as noted above - protect the probe leads. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Probe wires will not allow an air leak if you have a gasket, the gasket is soft enough it will "form" around the cables. 
    Make sure you put the probe plugs into the transmitter unit with some force, make sure they click into place. I think the seating is "water resistant" as the unit can be used in the rain. Also, I plug in the probes, turn on the receiver unit,  then the transmitter - for some reason, my unit does not want to sync if tried any other way
    Use it for indirect cooks only, as noted above - protect the probe leads. 
    This is what I understood the printed instructions to read.

I run mine across the gasket - wherever they happen to fall.   I don't foil anything, when I am using a maverick, its not that hot.

Water does more damage - no washy.

Cookin in Texas
  • exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    I agree with @boatbum. Heat is generally low when I'm using the Mav. I put the send unit in a ziplock to keep rain off. Never washed it.
    Randomly I get 'LLL' or 'HHH' on the dusplay when I get started. I unplug, power off/on and then we're good to go.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Video on setting the Maverick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUDemmmubs

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    While accurate, these posts make it seem like the Maverick is hard to use.  In fact, it is incredibly easy to use.  It'll take you 5 minutes to set it up the 1st time, and then you'll be an expert.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I have had my Maverick for three years now and never had any problem with the probes.  In my opinion, there is no need to wrap the lead wires in foil for protection.  I have washed the food probe and just dry it with a towel immediately after.  I do try to avoid getting the wire leads wet though.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Can't tell you how much the Maverick revolutionized my cooks. I even use it with spatch chickens. Being able to go about your business without any worries or need to check really makes a huge difference. It's easy to use, too. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    If I'm looking for dome temperature I just put the BBQ probe through the same hole as the dome OEM thermometer. The hole needed to be reamed out just a bit to fit, but that took all of five seconds. Otherwise I just run the cords through the gasket and (when there is gasket there) the gasket forms around the wire pretty much sealing it up.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

When I bought mine, it worked great for about four months.  Then it went wacky, giving me temp readings way above realistic.  By the time I contacted the company, it was well out of warranty, but they replaced it, no questions asked.  The replacement is just perfect, no problems.

A very good product, sold by very good people.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon