Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carcinogen risk?

Ok,so my mother asks me how the egg is as she hasn't seen or eaten from one yet and I say say its awesome and  that I cook on it almost every day.
Her second question was is it safe to eat off charcoal that often? Doesn't it cause cancer ? I said no but then I saw the notice on the royal oak bag stating burning lump charcoal is a known cause of cancer in California.So whats the story here is it ok to be eating off the egg a few times a week? Should my kids be eating this food? Yes I know we are all going to die from something right?

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Only an issue in California-just like auto emissions and most other heavily regulated things :)  just an opinion-as I was there during the current gov's first time in the chair...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Just the black char and/or the thick white smoke (voc's) thats bad??
    Whats the issue with the charcoal?

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    If I tell you it's bad for you are you going to change your habits?

XLBGE 
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Everything causes cancer...at least that's what my federal overlords tell me. In all seriousness that was something I looked at too...seem to be the char that is the issue not smoke flavor.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Figured it wasn't too much of a concern around hear.Its not like I was going to quit drinking and egging anyways.
    I'll go take the for sale sign off the egg I guess lol!!!!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I think it is deadly, I am to far gone to care so you should just sell me your egg :))

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    booze will get me before my beloved egg does
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • hapster said:
    Look... ya' got die of something right? Why not make it some of the best tasting stuff on earth? Lighten up and enjoy your food...

The **** they put in processed foods will kill you way faster than anything your doing on the egg to fresh proteins and veggies with fire and smoke
    Amen! It's all that crap that you can't pronounce that is supposed to make things last weeks or months that should last days that are going to kill you. We have been cooking over wood and fire for thousands of years and life expectancy keeps getting longer. Can't be that.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    The death rate is holding steady at 100 percent. Enjoy! :)

Ps: zombies.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    mb99zz said:
    I bought a new set of pedals for my mountain bike and was shocked to see a label on the box say "contains contents known to cause cancer in California". I laughed. My first thought was (no offense to CAs): only an idiot from California would try to eat a bike pedal.

Lived in CA for 11 years....Fallen off my Mtn bike several time, only eaten lots of dirt......uh, I wonder if there is a cancer causing label for eating the dirt.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183

mb99zz said:

I bought a new set of pedals for my mountain bike and was shocked to see a label on the box say "contains contents known to cause cancer in California". I laughed. My first thought was (no offense to CAs): only an idiot from California would try to eat a bike pedal.

Lived in CA for 11 years....Fallen off my Mtn bike several time, only eaten lots of dirt......uh, I wonder if there is a cancer causing label for eating the dirt.

Too funny. Well I fell on a ride a couple years ago and broke my arm. So, my bike needs a label warning me for that too I guess.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Most of these warnings are a result of the overly litigious mindset in the US and are just an attempt to mitigate potential product liability claims
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    ToTN speaks the truth. Ever wonder why there is Braille on the drive up ATM or at some gas pumps. CYA in full mode.
    CA labeling laws border on the insane. While we lived there MTBE was mandated as a gasoline additive there was a warning label for gasoline but not for MTBE....go figure.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hopefully, you are not Egging in the presence of sunlight, also a know carcinogen.
  • Kain
    Kain Posts: 21
    The mortality rate of BGE owners eventually equates to 100% which, coincidentally, is the same for non-BGE owners.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm working on a cargo/loaner bike - tough part is to make it cancer free for Californians.   (bought SWMBO a new bike the other day, turning her old bike into a fun bike).

i have a 12 pound lead fishing weight that according to california may cause lead poisoning if swallowed.
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Hell, ya can't even fart in cali without a permit. I guess that I break the law quite often every day. :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

ToTN speaks the truth. Ever wonder why there is Braille on the drive up ATM or at some gas pumps. CYA in full mode.

CA labeling laws border on the insane. While we lived there MTBE was mandated as a gasoline additive there was a warning label for gasoline but not for MTBE....go figure.

I read about the braille thing a few months ago. It is actually done because it is more cost effective to have only one type of touchpad produced since most uses are quite
    similar in function.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I'm working on a cargo/loaner bike - tough part is to make it cancer free for Californians.   (bought SWMBO a new bike the other day, turning her old bike into a fun bike).

If you want it to be fun, add a banana seat and streamers. VI can help with that part.
  • Braille thing is as good as the picture graph signs for the library for those who can't read.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132

That's a cool limo, is that a Trek kit or did you build it?
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Bonar
    Bonar Posts: 28
    Wow, I will make this part of my master plan if I ever want to leave this world. I will begin a delicious regime of BBQ 3 times a day plus BBQ snacks till I go to BBQ heaven. At least this way I can control when and how I get my cancer verses waiting for it to choose to attack.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Life is bad for you, in the end, you'll die from it. Relax, don't worry, fire up the egg and crack open a cold one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bullibe said:

That's a cool limo, is that a Trek kit or did you build it?
    Some parts salvaged from an old Trek.  xtracycle.com free radical kit, plus other parts I bought.
    Grilling isn't bad for you....burning your food is! 

Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) are made when fat burns.  That isn't happening much when you are cooking correctly on an Egg, in my opinion.  

But when you see people with an inferno while grilling chicken on their gas grill...that's a different matter :0   Buy an Egg, save a life ;)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This