Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Boston Butt potential DISASTER

Options
Please help, I placed the 8.39 lb butt on the egg last night @ 9:30, got up at 6:00 a.m. and the dome temperature was @ 123 degrees. Is the pork bad, the temp is already rising but I have no idea how long the temp was that low. Would love your advice, thanks in advance!
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What is the temp of the meat itself?
    Greensboro, NC
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Butt is probably fine. I did a few experiments where i shut the egg down on purpose, and marked the time it took to cool.From 145, nominal safe temp to 120, nominal unsafe was 15 min. If your cool down was similar, you were only in the "danger zone" for a few min.

FWIW, the outside of the meat was clean within a few minutes of being in the Egg. Not much chance it would re-infect.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Wolfpack, the meat temp was @ 109, now at 111

• Aquacop
    Options
    Temp is now @ 230
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That temp is in the danger zone- if it were me I don't think I would risk it. Since you have grill hot you could run to store and do a turbo and finish around the same time.
    Greensboro, NC
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    You are good and you'll get a huge smoke ring

Options
    I'm gonna brave it and see what happens, temperature is staying steady @ 225 with and internal of 152 degrees. What temp do you recommend pulling it and FTC? 
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Next time try a higher temp, easier to maintain. I like 250* to 265* F even if it gets done early it can sit wrapped up in HDAF and towels in the warmed cooler.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are fine. The "danger zone" is relative to your conditions. Your egg is pretty sterile compared to a commercial kitchen which is what the guidelines are made for. Even in a commercial kitchen you can allow things to be in the danger zone for 4 hours and still serve them to anyone (including babies, sick people, and old people with compromised immune systems). The government guidelines for safe food handling are made with worst case scenarios in mind. Your home and especially your egg are well on the plus side of the worst case scenario that the guidelines are created for. You are totally safe to fire it up and eat/serve your butt to anyone.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't pull it by the temp but by the tenderness. Probe glides effortlessly, bone pulls easily, stick a fork in it and twist, etc...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    i agree with Cen-Tex and Paqman, all is good. If you were going to pull the meat with an internal of 135º there might be a concern. Because a butt will be pulled at +190º the meat will be held in the safe zone for more than enough time to be OK. 
    As Cen-Tex says, the egg is kinda its own semi-quarantine area, it is somewhat isolated from external infections. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    You have no way of knowing how long the temps were dicey. If you told your I guests that the pork was hanging out for an unknown number of hours at an unsafe temp do you think they'd dig in? Would you if someone told you that? Bet if you offered them 'maybe safe, maybe unsafe pulled pork' or for sure safe burgers, ribs or brats you'd have a bunch of pork left over...I know which I'd pick if given an option and full disclosure...food poisoning isn't a nice parting gift, and if folks do get sick you are gonna feel like a turd. It isn't cool to play with food safety for others. If you wanna play Russian Roulette, save it for yourself for later but cook them something else...or as was suggested, turbo a new one.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You have no way of knowing how long the temps were dicey. If you told your I guests that the pork was hanging out for an unknown number of hours at an unsafe temp do you think they'd dig in? Would you if someone told you that? Bet if you offered them 'maybe safe, maybe unsafe pulled pork' or for sure safe burgers, ribs or brats you'd have a bunch of pork left over...I know which I'd pick if given an option and full disclosure...food poisoning isn't a nice parting gift, and if folks do get sick you are gonna feel like a turd. It isn't cool to play with food safety for others. If you wanna play Russian Roulette, save it for yourself for later but cook them something else...or as was suggested, turbo a new one.

All good points but this is far from Russian Roulette. I would eat it and serve it without hesitation. It's totally safe. I am certified in commercial food safety and know what is safe and what isn't.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yeah, but you wrap your brisket... :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Yeah, but you wrap your brisket... :D

Wrap one brisket and all the sudden you are labeled for life.
  • Aquacop
    Options
    Well as for guests, they will only be members of the family, soooo, I guess we will find out if there is a bullet in the chamber. Thanks to everyone for the comments.