Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI skillet pizza

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Heat the ci first?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    not with the recipe I use. dough has to rise in the pan for an hour or two. For that matter, even before I found that recipe, I never preheated.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The recipe I used calls for you to pre-bake the crust before adding toppings:

However, I plan to try Carolina Q's recipe next time I do it.  He posted some pics that looked stellar; and it seems easier.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    edited July 2013
    The recipe I used calls for you to pre-bake the crust before adding toppings:

However, I plan to try Carolina Q's recipe next time I do it.  He posted some pics that looked stellar; and it seems easier.  
    I do the pan pizza (linked above, Pizza Hut-ish only better) in the CI. 

Pan Pizza (CI)...

For a Chicago style Deep Dish, it's a COMPLETELY different recipe/result. For that, I use a cake pan. No pre-bake for either. From a bag of flour to finished pie, under 2 hours! Mix with spoon, knead by hand for less than 2 minutes, cover, let rise for an hour, maybe a bit more.

Had one just last night. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I oil the skillet, throw in the dough ball, push the dough out to the sides of the skillet. Top with toppings. Make sure cheese goes all the way to the edges, cook at 500 indirect for 25 mins or so. Easy and tasty. Been doing it this way for a long time.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    I'm doing one on the stone and one skillet... Put the skillet on the stone?
  • Chubbs
    I got PS legs down, ceramic feet, and then skillet on the ceramic feet for airspace.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I go plate setter legs up, regular BGE grid, then skillet. I dont preheat or precook anything. I take the dough ball out 2-3 hours before hand and put it in the skillet and then set it in the oven. The oven is not on. When I get ready to cook then I finish spreading dough out and then make the pie. I put olive oil in the skillet before I put dough ball in. I also put a little olive oil on top of dough after spreading out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited July 2013
    Can terracotta pot feet used in place of the BGE feet, I didn't get any with mine.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • shtgunal3
    jls9595 said:
    Can terracotta pot feet used in place of the BGE feet, I didn't get any with mine.

Yes

• Carolina Q
    jls9595 said:
    Yep. I've been doing it for 4 years. Up to 900°. 'Course, with my luck, there's prolly lead in 'em. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Thanks, I thought I had read that somewhere before. I'm always paranoid things I put in there are going to either blow up or kill me slowly.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Carolina Q
    you an also use copper plumbing elbows or Ts. or balled up alum foil.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    No need to pre heat anything. As chubs said, I throw the dough in press it all the way on to side, let it proof like that 10 min, then build the za. 350-400 indirect for bot 25 min. I go raised with the pswoo 3 and regular grid on top. Don't open the egg and let the top get nice. Also, get the cheese all the way to the sides.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Oh and also, for pizza, let the egg run and get hot for at least an hour before you put the pie in.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a kilo of Tip 00 dough that I made last week in the fridge.  Anyone know if it would work for a pan pizza or would it be not worth it.  I'm planning on starting a brisket tonight on the large egg I usually use for pizza.  I don't have the rig for the medium.
    Never tried it. The Kenji (slice) pan pizza I posted above uses bread flour so That's what I use. Too much trouble to get 00 flour just to try it for a pan. Save it for the hot fast Napoletana pies. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    What works for me... PS legs down, deep dish stone upside down, feet under skillet, 400 degree's 28 mins and I rotate the skillet 180 degrees at the 14 min mark.

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    End results

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• nolaegghead
    I have a kilo of Tip 00 dough that I made last week in the fridge.  Anyone know if it would work for a pan pizza or would it be not worth it.  I'm planning on starting a brisket tonight on the large egg I usually use for pizza.  I don't have the rig for the medium.
    Well, I went and used the tipo dough anyway and it came out freaking delicious.  I've never made pan pizza before.   I included some of the smoked andouille sausage I made last week.  Insanely good.   Kept checking if it was cooked enough since I have no idea what I'm doing.  Good think I did because they took a lot longer than I was used to.  No doughyness at all.
    imageimageimage
    How big of a dough ball fills a 13" CI skillet?

They look great Nola!
  • nolaegghead
    I have no idea....I think these were like 10" skillets.   I just dug a big wad O dough out of a giant bag that I made last week and worked it a little to get it to relax.  Then coated the skillet with a generous dollop of EVOO and plopped the dough in.  I guess there was about a half inch.  Pictures don't really do it justice...it was really good.    Fresh onions, mushrooms, fire roasted tomatos, home made smoked andouille, provolone and 3 other kinds of cheese, spices, maybe some other stuff....I dunno, I'm drinking.  ;)
    Pies look damn good Nola.

• shtgunal3
    @hapster the round skillet in my link above is a 12". I used a 16oz dough ball.

• nolaegghead
    thanks man.  We almost finished the round pie.   I popped out the square one, wrapped it in foil and I'll try to sneak it out of the house in the morning for work.
    Nola, that is one fine lookin' pie!! Really!! 

What dough recipe did you use?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    Another epic fail
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What happened?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    I think I rolled the dough too thin... I was pissed. The family liked them... I didn't.
  • Chubbs
    Cook it in the skillet? I don't roll anything if I do skillet. Drop it in, give it a few mins and then push it out.