Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip on the Mini

Heading to friends cabin in Wisconsin this weekend. Bringing my Mini and a 2lb Tri Tip I had the butcher specially cut. I am looking for ideas, such as, time, temp, direct, indirect, to sear or not to sear, etc. Thanks so much!
Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cook it raised direct, slow with some oak.  When it hits about 115-120 internal, take it out, stoke up the fire (maybe 500-600), then throw it directly on the coals for 30 seconds per side.   Let it rest on a cooling rack (don't tent) for 10 minutes.  Then slice it across the grain (it's funky).  Use the juice as gravy.   Season any way you want - garlic, salt and pepper are perfect in my book.
    Season and food saver or put in a large zip lock and suck the air out. Put it in a water bath submerged in hot water from the sink at about 110 degrees and add water several times and leave in the bath for about a half hour. Get the egg hot and sear a minute or two per side till nicely seared then add wood and close vents way down to get some smoke to it. Leave on till temp gets to no more than 128 and then foil to rest. Make sure to slice across the grain.
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, a perfect cut for hot tubbing because it's thick in some areas, thin in others. 
    Is Hickory or Mesquite okay?
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Hickory is ok not mesquite. Only put a chunk as it will finish quickly. If you hot tub then sear you will be at 110-115 internal already so may another 10 minutes and it will be done. If you can find some oak its better than those woods. Don't use mesquite its over powering.
  • nolaegghead
    Like Lit said - oak!  Oak is magical for brisket and tri-tip. 
    Oak it is! Thanks much!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Red oak is the traditional wood used in Santa Maria but I'd say any kind of oak before hickory or mesquite.

Tri tip is pretty versatile in how you can cook it. I'm partial to a reverse sear and here's a link to how I cook them now: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/tri-tip-tutorial

Here's an older post of a 2 lb tri tip I cooked on the Mini: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137396/tri-tip-on-the-mini

I don't do the indirect roast portion of the cook quite as hot as I used to. Nowadays I shoot for about 275 and start checking internal temps around 35 mins in and pull it at an internal temp of about 115.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA