Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tri Tip on the Mini

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I look pretty closely at the tri tips at the grocery store even if I don't need one as every once in a while I find one that just looks so much better than the others and screams "buy me"!  

This one said just that to me:

Brushed with EVOO & rubbed with Rub Co Original & Santa Maria:

Put it on the Mini Egg which was cruising along at about 335 with a chunk of red oak for some smoke:

I love searing on the Mini so after IT hit about 118, I seared it a minute per side:

Temp in thickest part when pulled was about 128-129 and during the rest it peaked out at:

Sliced & served:

It was delicious with a little buttery taste!  I'm so glad this one called out to me.

Thanks for looking!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA

Comments

• SandBillySandBilly Posts: 224
    Man, that ain't right, looks great..
  • Fantastic pictures. Thanks for posting.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,696
    That looks incredible and cooked perfect! A friend from Cali raves about the Tri Tip as I here it's a very popular cut there. It's finally making its way to Texas and readily available.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Fabulous pictures, looks awesome.  Amazing, over 2lbs. of meat for just over $8.  I need to move.  
  • medic119medic119 Posts: 80

That looks incredible!  I wish they had Tri-Tip on the east coast.

Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    They do, I get it at my butcher.  Get a good meat man/woman and they should have it.  
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,893
    Wow. You are the man. Cook & pictures.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,102

Finally offered here in my town (Ontario) for $10.50 lb. ... I can buy whole tenderloin for $8.99 lb.

I don't get it?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    Looks great.

XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,230
    Squeezy said:

Finally offered here in my town (Ontario) for $10.50 lb. ... I can buy whole tenderloin for $8.99 lb.

I don't get it?

$4.99/lb here.. thats outrageous.
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    $10.50Lb ???!!! Did they price it correctly?  I would be asking someone directly about that.
  • LitLit Posts: 5,031
    Tri tip is now $7.49 a pound at Costco in Georgia. If you buy the whole bag untrimmed it goes down to like $6 a pound but you have to buy 15-20 pounds. I would eat nothing but tri tip if I could get it for $3.99 a pound that looked like that.