Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Mounting a Flat Screen TV to Stone Fireplace?

Options
rholt
rholt Posts: 392

Hello all,

After much internet searching I realized that there is a lot of conflicting reports on mounting a Flat screen TV to a Stone Fireplace. I have a 55" samsung LED TV that I plan on mounting but I need to know if I should mount directly into the stone or into the Mortar. I have heard both. It is already wired for my needs and I just want to make sure the TV isn't going to fall off the wall. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    I've done both. And they were back in the day when TVs weighed a ton. 

I mounted a 42 LG LED outside on the back of my fireplace with a box surround and used these Red Head anchors (http://www.lowes.com/pd_41068-2191-11021_0__?productId=3033202&Ntt=concrete+anchors&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dconcrete%2Banchors&facetInfo=) to mount the box to the fireplace and then the TV to the box. You basically drill a pilot hole, tap the anchors in, and tighten the nut which expands the other end grabbing the brick/stone.]

TVs these days don't weigh very much and are MUCH easier to mount...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Personally I would locate the studs behind the stone and lag bolt into them providing the stone is a faux stone. Real stone... I would go into the stone. You might consider attaching a 2x12 into the stone... It would be easier to plumb and level. If it's real stone over cinder block.. Try butterfly bolts.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i would say the stone would be more solid but you then have to live with the holes in the stone later if the tv comes down. you could also mount it to the ceiling or up off the mantle or do what i did and stand the 55 inch flat screen up on top of the broken 50 inch box tv
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Is the stone real? Like henapple notes - if it is faux stone, find the studs. if not, into the rock.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I was just researching methods to mount TVs above fireplace and bumped into this gem http://www.comfortvu.com/.  No idea if this could work with stone, but watch the video, its pretty damn cool.  

I am not much help, but good luck.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    My patio has a 48 inch mounted with anchors into the brick wall. Couple of things to remember, TV's are not that heavy anymore. Also, the brackets are designed such that the predominant load is vertical, not pulling out. In other words, the bracket is pressing against the wall, so, the load on the attachment is pulling sideways - not out and down. The actual load on an individual anchor is not that high. Less than hanging a mirror in sheetrock.
    Cookin in Texas
  • rholt
    Options

Thanks guys. I am leaning toward drilling into the mortar as I could easily patch them should the TV come down. The TV is surprisingly light so I think the mortar would hold. I would just need to make sure I go deep enough into the wall. The stone is very real and very thick averaging about 6 inches in depth. Should I do a standard flush mount with a little angle or do the full motion arm thing?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd drill in the mortar and use some red heads.  If it's a real fireplace it'll be solid brick, no studs or cinder block.
    Options
    Be careful with the mortar.. Not very strong.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Those plastic Twist-N-Lock anchors hold 50 pounds each in nothing but drywall.  If the red head seats well in the mortar, it ain't goin' nowhere.
    Options
    Good to know. Thanks fellas.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    go into the stone for more strength
    Cookin in Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    boatbum said:
    go into the stone for more strength
    Correct.  That's the way they designed cars back in the 60's.  Mechanical components were over-designed, and the act of over-designing made them so heavy they broke prematurely. Tread lightly in design.  If the TV weighs more than a hundred pounds, and the cantilever put stress on the structure that type N mortar (750 psi likely but could be as much as 2600 psi - note, drywall is much, much less and it will hold said TV), then go into the brick, or if you don't care about the holes, drill in the brick.
    Options
    I'm with you Nola, Mortar it is! Can't bear to see holes in my precious stone fireplace!
  • rholt
    Options

@Joelee ,

I can't seem to find the original message you sent me in my inbox. I have looked everywhere. The form has been acting up lately it seems to me.

• eddiepro
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    Options
    Good luck! I had the fortune to have my mason lay the stone around the tv mount without going through the stone. Either way, don't worry about it being high, the picture and experience is totally worth it! Finished this in December with a 65 in Samsung and a Enviro Pellet stove
  • rholt
    Options
    Thanks @eddiepro. I will let ya know how it turns out.
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options

Tapcon screws.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)