Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Bones aka Beef Back Ribs

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I have started to buy bone in Prime Ribs at work. I cut he bones off prior to cooking and bring them home to cook on the EGG.

I have done a couple, and they haven't really turned out well for me . I do them low, 250-270 for up to 5 hours. No foil.

I find they are tough, unlike my pork ribs that I would like to think I have pretty much locked down. I am doing another rack today. Just lit the egg.

Any advice on getting a better final product?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    these ribs are not great to low and slow. They do much better work left attached to your prime rib when you smoke it. What you want for BBQ is Chuck ribs. They are much meatier than the "ribeye" ribs. My butcher told me that Chuck ribs are what he uses to make short ribs but he keeps them whole in the back. Tey are a totally different rib altogether. Very meaty and velvety texture like a brisket point. Delicious

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Hard to find chuck ribs around here. 2" Short ribs are bountiful though which are the same thing. Can those be done in the same manner as posted earlier?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited July 2013
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Hard to find chuck ribs around here. 2" Short ribs are bountiful though which are the same thing. Can those be done in the same manner as posted earlier?

Right- but they are cutting the short ribs from the chuck ribs. Just ask the butcher. They keep them in the back around here and put the short ribs out. My guy had like 20 packages of them in the back. It's best to get them on the rack instead of cut down to short individual ribs. If they have short ribs, they will have chuck ribs to cut them from.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Right- but they are cutting the short ribs from the chuck ribs. Just ask the butcher. They keep them in the back around here and put the short ribs out. My guy had like 20 packages of them in the back. It's best to get them on the rack instead of cut down to short individual ribs. If they have short ribs, they will have chuck ribs to cut them from.
    i just put on a rack of these, did just as cen-tex said asked if they cut their own, and if so could i get some uncut ones.  he looked at me like a nutcase (it was 8 am and i was drinking moonshine all night last night) but came back with a cryo of 2 racks about 10 pounds.  He asked which one I wanted and I said both.  put one on for dinner tonight with applewood just like centex does.  ok actually oak, so we wil see I'm pretty excited about them.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What Cen-Tex said.  The long ribs have the meat (and not much of it) between the bone.  I cooked some up last night for the heck of it.  Taste is good, but it's mostly bone after the fat renders off.

The short ribs and chuck ribs have meat over the bone.  Also, there's a lot of variability in how much meat - really depends on the quality of the cattle and age.  I
    Options
    Just wrapped them in foil about 45 minutes ago. pulling them off to  check in about 30 minutes more. If they taste and aren't chewy like they smell.................Im in for a treat.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    All of this beef rib talk this weekend made me smoke a rack today. 

Currently have it foiled for a bit, but yes, I like cooking beef back ribs hot and fast, 325 or so.  I pretty much follow Adam Perry Lang's temps/times from BBQ25 for beef ribs. 

It has been a while since I've done short ribs and Cen-Tex has me craving them so I'm looking forward to doing one of those next weekend. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Looks good. Ill let you know about taste and tenderness.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Love the beef. Qfc here carries the chuck ones cryovaced.
    Picked up some today.
    Seattle, WA