Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless skinless chicken breasts

I think I'm going to cook about 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts indirect with plate setter feet up with water pan. Anyone tried this? I like my chicken breasts very moist. Thoughts?

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Mine come out very moist without a water pan.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Brine them for an hour or 2 and cook direct. Water pan is not going to help you and an indirect cook will produce a longer cook time which is not good for chicken breast. If you brine them, Juice will be pouring out all over your plate. You can also hot tub/ sous vide them for an hour then quick sear. Very juicy as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2013
    The key to a moist breast is internal finish temp, simple as that.  I cook them direct and make sure you remove them at the proper time, I pull breast meat at 160.  I'm sure brining helps too, I just never bother, gotta try that some time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I never cooked boneless/skinless until I helped my dealer out. I was nervous cooking to sell a grill for him. But to my surprise they came out moist. I even reheated one a bit.
    The Egg came through better then expected.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115

I pounded them down to 3/4in,brined at least 4hrs,direct, high in dome, 400.

Snellville,Ga.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I seem to be somewhat in the minority it prefer mine unbrined. I cook them at about 350-400 on a raised grid. Usually use a rub although sometimes various marinades. I agree with Choke. Removing before they are overdone is key. Good luck.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Brine them for an hour or 2 and cook direct. Water pan is not going to help you and an indirect cook will produce a longer cook time which is not good for chicken breast. If you brine them, Juice will be pouring out all over your plate. You can also hot tub/ sous vide them for an hour then quick sear. Very juicy as well.

Totally agree with Cen-Tex - Go direct and brine them first.  I do 350ish.  You can also butterfly and stuff them with some goat cheese, etc.
    Milton, GA.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

I seem to be somewhat in the minority it prefer mine unbrined. I cook them at about 350-400 on a raised grid. Usually use a rub although sometimes various marinades. I agree with Choke. Removing before they are overdone is key. Good luck.

same. I'm lazy,I don't brine. I do boneless breast alot.
  • Thanks a bunch for your suggestions. I brined for 2 hours. Pushed all of my coals to one side. Brought dome temp to 350 and put them on opposite side from coals. When the internal temp of the breasts came to 160 I pulled them off. The best chicken breasts I've ever cooked. I could almost cut them with my fork