Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grid?

Options
I see a lot of posts about cooking on a "raised grid".  What is that?  I have a large egg and have been cooking on it for a year.  Do you have to purchase an accessory to have a raised grid?

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Raised grid is just that.  Basically get your cooking grid to even with the felt line or even higher.  There is more even heat there and it is easier to get your spatula in there as well.

You can do this with a few products namely the swing rack from ceramicgrillworks.com or the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com.

You can also buy a grate from your local big box hardware store along with some washers nuts and bolts and build your own 2nd raised grid.

Firebricks are another option for raising the grid.

The only official eggcessory i believe is the grid extender.. this is junk...IMHO
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • chainsaw19
    Options
    You can use bricks, cans, any number of homemade devices to raise the grid up near or above thef felt line.  On top of that there are a couple of popular accessories that can be purchased.  One is the swing grate from Ceramic Grill Works and another is the Adjustable Rig which is from the Ceramic Grill Store, which you pick is a matter of preference.  You can find You Tube videos on various sites that show these products in uses and if you have questions on either just ask and youll get all kinds of info from those that use them.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Raised direct is positioning the grid at the felt line, not on the fire ring, which is considered direct. There are a number of ways to get the raised direct arrangement, bolts and nuts to raise the grid, using a Grill Dome extender, using an adjustable rig, one grid on the fire ring, some empty beer cans and another grid balanced on them, etc....

Idea is to increase the distance between the burning lump and the cooking grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Here are some links to cover what everybody has said already 

Ceramic Grill Store Woo

I have a woo for my small egg and use firebricks split in half on my large, cheap and I got them at home depot. Here is a shot showing how where to put the bricks.

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Solson005, that looks awesome. Could you share the recipe and cook? Thanks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Options
    sure @henapple here is my post: Paella on the LBGE! 

I followed Naked Whiz Paella Guide and tweaked a couple of things. Its pretty easy, delicious, and makes for a awesome presentation. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Here is what I did.  Works great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • biggreeneggie
    Options
    @solson005
    Thanks for the picture - doing my first cook using raised direct and I didn't know how to use the firebricks with just the one grate.

• Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Beer / pop cans is the way I go.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • Jamieoro
    Jamieoro Posts: 180
    Options
    @solson005 how did you split the bricks evenly?
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    Options
    If you already have a place setter, you should checkout a woo rig. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html
  • Solson005
    Options
    @Jamieoro the bricks I used had a split on the backside of them so I just took a chisel and with one smack of the hammer they split perfectly in half. I think they are just called split fire bricks. I got them at home depot or lowes for a couple dollars.