Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting charcoal

Anybody ever use a rapidfire chimney starter to start charcoal in egg?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Used to use a chimney starter with the Weber kettle, then changed to an electric starter with the egg. Chimney starter worked really well with briquettes, not so much with lump unless you choose (get your hands dirty) and pick the pieces. Big advantage for a chimney is using the side burner on the gasser to start it. 
    Much easier to dump the lump, shove in the electric starter and in 8 minutes, good to go. Others use starter cubes, paper towels soaked in oil or a torch. Whatever works. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I've used a chimney to start my lump plenty of times. Works great if you are cooking burgers or chicken but is too much fire for a low and slow
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Used to use a chimney starter with the Weber kettle, then changed to an electric starter with the egg. Chimney starter worked really well with briquettes, not so much with lump unless you choose (get your hands dirty) and pick the pieces. 
    Much easier to dump the lump, shove in the electric starter and in 8 minutes, good to go. 
    Same here.  Just found through experimentation that an electric starter in the egg works better than anything else I've tried.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Ts 4000 bernzomatic works good for me 30-40 sec per spot and up she goes!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Bge electric starter , don't knock it until you tried it. Beats maap !
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Wagner heat gun... If you're in a hurry, don't egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CANMAN1976
    I'm sure the electric starter works great but so does the torch .Its all good!!!
    Just happens I had the torch before the egg!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I like MAPP torch for the large.  For me, it's too sparky to use on the mini, so there I use 91% alcohol.  That's also a very good way to get the lump going.

Started out with the electric starter, didn't particularly like it.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • CANMAN1976
    Curious about the alcohol... Works well does it?

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I use something like this:  http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/fuel/starter-logg-firestarter/p-135064-c-6855.htm

I just break off a small cube, light it in a couple of places and build a "tent" of lump.  In 10 minutes or so, the fire is up and roaring and I add my new lump.

I can buy 4 of the sticks at Kroger for like $2.50 and each of the sticks breaks into several cubes big enough to start the fire.  Very cost effective.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

@CANMAN, yes, it does.  You can either buy a 60cc plastic syringe (cheap, available at any pharmacy) and use that to inject the 91% alcohol into the lump pile, or just pour a similar amount on the lump.  Give it about 20-30 seconds, that will let the alcohol sink into the lump without loss to evaporation.

Light a match, drop it in, step back.

Works pretty quickly, and is very inexpensive. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I jam a paper towel in the middle of my pile of lump. Pour a little bit of vegetable oil on it and light. Sounds too simple but works every time no problem. Lot cheaper than starter cubes.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    Use a BGE electric starter and have been completely satisfied. Picked up an industrial heat gun thru an auction at work for $7, can't beat the combo, 8 minutes to get it going and the heat gun to really get it up to lava-like.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    I was using the cubes, but recently got the electric started and am very happy with it.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I jam a paper towel in the middle of my pile of lump. Pour a little bit of vegetable oil on it and light. Sounds too simple but works every time no problem. Lot cheaper than starter cubes.

Same here only I save my old frying oil, so it's even cheaper. I used to get fire starters at tractor supply. 144 for about $12, and u can break them into smaller pieces. The paper towel is quick cheap and easy.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    SkinnyV said:
    Bge electric starter , don't knock it until you tried it. Beats maap !
    Had one sold it on CL.  Mapp is the way to go IMO.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    I've been using a chimney upside down and it works great. I adjust the amount of lump I start based on how hot I want my fire.
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    My third year using a Looftlighter. I love it. :)>-
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Nothing like a weed burner....!!
  • Chimney works great for me. I like to leave my lump low in the middle. Pour my chimney lump in the low spot. I have control of keeping it in the center or spreading it around.
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    I use a twisted paper towel with olive oil on the paper towel. Also i put a little alchohol on the lump some times. I always get a good fire going. Pick a technique you like and start that fire
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    If you have a deep fryer, this is a great way to use the old oil that was destined for the garbage anyway. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • A lot of methods here. I'm still on my first box of BGE fire starters that came with the Egg. One question I have is-if the lump charcoal is supposed to be better and chemical free for burning, do some methods (alcohol, oil & towel) run contrary to that?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'