Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Farkin' brisket...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Done too early! More details when I'm more awake. Temp went up to 360 or so instead of 250. Butt done at 5 am instead of much later. Lunch is at 2 or 3. Am I okay to FTC until then? That's about 10 hrs. Yikes.

Back to bed. I'll post details of the debacle later.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    You might be okay for that long... I would test cut it to see how it turned out first.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    That's a long time but I think it would be fine. I have heard of 8 hrs with it still being hot when sliced
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    'Rest' it in the oven foiled at something above 140F?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I have also done this... in a foil pan, covered with foil, and then layered with towels. I think I had the oven set to 170
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    hapster said:
    I have also done this... in a foil pan, covered with foil, and then layered with towels. I think I had the oven set to 170
    @hapster... what was the purpose for using the towels in the oven?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Maybe it's me, but it seems like there are a lot of recent posts (and it happened to me too) is that briskets are cooking much faster than anticipated - like an hour per lb or less. Maybe the old 2 hrs or 1.5 hr per pound should not be the baseline....even at a temp of 275.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Are you checking temp/tenderness in several places in the flat? I thought mine was going to be done cause the Mav showed 190 but then when I did the poke test I found some spots were still in the low 180s. I'll be checking for tenderness now about every 30-60 min now till it is done.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options

check out Whiz's spot- he had some good info on how long to keep stuff FTC

Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    10 hrs is a long time Cali. I've done a butt for 12 and a brisket for 8 and they were both hot. The butt after 12 was 155 degrees when I pulled it. Didn't measure the brisket after 8 but it was hot to the touch. Good luck man. Lots of towels. And beer. Beer really helps. Everything.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips. I ended up wrapping in HD foil really well and then popping it in the oven @170°F after a few hours in the cooler. 

So the details - Plan was to put it on before going to bed. 13# packer, had to hunt all over for it since the vultures had snapped up all the briskets at the stores near me. Slathered with mustard and a combo of rubs, since I was trying to finish some - Habanero Death Dust, SM Cherry, SM Pecan, SM Sweet and Spicy, and SM Peppered Cow. I know, it was kind of a kitchen sink approach to the rubs. 

Set it up indirect with a water pan underneath. Had the temp stabilized at about 250°F. Was setting up the maverick since it was time to turn in. The eggware vent cap was cracked open just a bit, so I slid it open some more to place the pit probe in the vent. Then the beers in me made me forget to set it back to where it had been. Then the beers kicked in again in the middle of the night when I turned off the alarm on the mav and went back to sleep. Just happened to wake up at 5am and looked over at the mav and had an oh sh!t moment. Went outside, probed the brisket and it felt like it was about done. Flat was 193-195° all over. Figured it would finish cooking during the FTC time. 

Separated the point and saved it for later. Just found out that SWMBO loves burnt ends, so i'll make some this weekend. Sliced up the flat around 3pm, and it was pretty good. Juicy, tasty, soft, easy to cut.  I was aiming for the famed "Salado Brisket" texture, and nearly made it. Cen-Tex has said before that the FTC rest time is important, and I think that is what I was skipping all this while. Sorry for the lack of pics, but I was hungry (and so were guests) :)

What I learned:
    - when the cook is marinated, he has to pay extra attention to what his cooker is set at before falling asleep.
    - whatever you do, don't turn off your thermo's alarm!
    -pull the brisket when it probes tender about 195°F or a bit higher. 
    -wrap that brisket tight and FTC for a few hours. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    - when the cook is marinated, he has to pay extra attention to what his cooker is set at before falling asleep............easier said than done
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    whatever you do, don't turn off your thermo's alarm!................I hate those things. No alarms here. We fix tonight's problems tomorrow. I will need sleep for this so no alarms. Ever.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    -pull the brisket when it probes tender about 195°F or a bit higher. -wrap that brisket tight and FTC for a few hours. ................yes on both. Glad it turned out
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All's well that ends well.  Nice job.  FTC is not necessary.  If you're ready to eat immediately, let it cool on a cooling rack and dive in.  But the way you used it given the circumstances, smart.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I am in the no alarm camp. Just set the mav on the bedside table and open one eye at a time. If it is effed up some guy named @Mickey invented turbo method as a recovery method. Nice recovery.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I never use alarms. I use a mav and keep the remote by the bed. If I wake up and check, fine. If I don't, even better. I almost never wake up. If I ever screw up brisket supper (hasn't been in edible yet), it only takes an hour to spatch the best chicken anyone's ever eaten.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Here's my 16 lb packer at 5 am this morning. Got up to check it and it was butter, 210F all over. It went on at 7 pm last night at 260F. That's ten hours for 16 ibs. Party starts at 2 pm today. Am I sliding safely into home or out at third? I'm going to check its temp a couple times later before 2 and if it drops below 140F it goes in the oven until then. For now going to crawl back in with my lovely wife.
  • caliking
    Options
    Here's my 16 lb packer at 5 am this morning. Got up to check it and it was butter, 210F all over. It went on at 7 pm last night at 260F. That's ten hours for 16 ibs. Party starts at 2 pm today. Am I sliding safely into home or out at third? I'm going to check its temp a couple times later before 2 and if it drops below 140F it goes in the oven until then. For now going to crawl back in with my lovely wife.
    I thought the oven idea was the safer one, so I went that route. Just wrap it tight with 2 layers of foil, with the brisket juices included.

• SteveWPBFL
    Options
    Agree, its 'resting' in the oven now at 180F.