Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

State alcohol laws

2»

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    henapple said:
    People pervert and screw up bbq... I merely do it my way... Just like my faith. That being said, I respect everyone's beliefs and opinions. Church hates me... No one understands me.
    If I told you I believed in almighty thor and his mighty hammer would you respect my beliefs? I think you wouldn't. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Foghorn said:
    People pervert and screw up bbq... I merely do it my way... Just like my faith. That being said, I respect everyone's beliefs and opinions. Church hates me... No one understands me.
    Is that why you try to buy our friendship with Ozark Oak?
    Who knows...in 500 years you might see henapple on the holy bag of lump at the holy church of latter day lumpists.  That is how this stuff gets started.

Foghorn said:

henapple said:

Is that why you try to buy our friendship with Ozark Oak?

Who knows...in 500 years you might see henapple on the holy bag of lump at the holy church of latter day lumpists.  That is how this stuff gets started.

I hope my offspring go to that church.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Merely helping folks out...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    I'm just trying to get my post count up
  • travisstrick
    I'm just trying to get my post count up.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    You don't say.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Actually, me too.  I guess I can come out now.  I'm actually Pope Francis.  My BGE handle is nolaegghead.  New Orleans is the only Catholic city, so I set up the bogus life of nola so I can vicariously live through all you eggers.  It gets pretty stuffy here in Vatican City.  Sorry peeps.  Don't tell any of the Bishops.

henapple said:

If I told you I believed in almighty thor and his mighty hammer would you respect my beliefs? I think you wouldn't. 

More like almighty whore and getting hammered... I can respect that.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Growing up in Texas and spending lots of time all over the state, I've seen the laws get quite a bit more lax and quite a few dry areas become wet, at least for beer and wine.  Except for the still totally dry areas, I have little problem with it these days, but used to have a big problem.  I remember all of us having to load up and drive 40 miles from our hunting lease at night because we ran out of beer and that was the closest place even though we went through two towns and several stores to get there......three liquor stores, two of 'em drive through, all lit up in the middle of literally nowhere.  Like a neon oasis in the middle of the dark Texas night, quite a sight.  Cool memories anyway.....

Louisiana always kind of seemed like its own country to me.  I remember drinking under age there and no one really seemed to care, cops drinking in uniform in bars and strip clubs in the Quarter, and occasionally beating the crap out of someone who they thought got out of line.  Also remember a trip with a girl I was dating at the time.  Went to NO for a few days, then to Galveston.  We were checking out early one morning to make the drive to Galveston after a late night in the Quarter and passed the hotel bar and it was full......at 7:30 in the morning!  And no one was drinking coffee.

Last thing.....went on a ski trip to New Mexico with some college buddies in the early '90s.  Flew in to Albuquerque, rented some SUVs to make the trek up to Taos.  We stopped in Santa Fe to load up with some beer, only to find out that you couldn't buy any alcohol of any kind over the counter in New Mexico on Sunday (WTH?), only in bars.  So we stopped at some dive bar in Santa Fe long enough for everyone to get soused, then finished the drive north.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    NC is the same as TN.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • claybrn
    claybrn Posts: 31
    South Carolina has some weird ones.  I was there on business a few years ago, and the bartender had to pour liquor out of the little airplane bottles.  
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    henapple said:

For some time restaurants could serve but no alcohol sold in stores. On the outskirts of town there was warehouses with 5 drive through bays... Looked like Vegas at night.

Lubbock Texas

Ahhh. The strip. Brings back memories from my days at Tech.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    biznork said:
    For some time restaurants could serve but no alcohol sold in stores. On the outskirts of town there was warehouses with 5 drive through bays... Looked like Vegas at night. Lubbock Texas
    Ahhh. The strip. Brings back memories from my days at Tech.
    i lived there for a few years....nothing better than getting loaded up with booze and getting gizzards at Pinkys

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    If I go back far enough (to the mid-'50's)I can remember when Oregon legalized liquor by the drink in restaurants and "clubs". before that it was bring your bottle to dinner in a paper sack and pay for mixer "setups".  Finally, you could go out for dinner and order a drink!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    I've lived in four places in Arkansas and only one was wet - Fayetteville.  Some areas only allow beer and wine, and in some you can buy anything, but in some - you gotta drive a bit.  In the county where I grew up, the southern half of the county was dry and the norhern half was wet.  No sales on Sundays, unless you're a place that makes the wine.  Places like Wiederkehr Wines in Altus can sell on Sundays at their site (and just about all they sell on Sundays is whatever has the highest alcohol content).  In restaurants, you frequently have to obtain a membership to the restaurant, as if it's a private club, to be able to drink (never thought of Applebees as a private club).
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    NC- ABC stores for booze and closed Sunday.  Beer and wine in grocery stores, etc no sales from 2am-7am and sunday not until after church.  Still a few dry communities but what do you expect from a state where their state drink is milk :)
    Greensboro, NC
  • All hard liquor in Virginia is sold only in state-run Alcoholic Beverage Control stores, which are open 7 days a week (10am-9pm M-Sa and from 1pm-6pm on Sundays).  Beer and wine is sold until midnight in regular grocery stores, which are never far from the ABC stores (at least in Fairfax County, where we live).

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    NY: liquor stores carry wine + booze. No beer\wine coolers\hard cider
    Beer\wine coolers\hard cider can be bought at the "corner store" or in supermarkets. Also not in Sunday morning till noon, but bars are open till 4am.
    NJ was weird for me. 
    NJ: Beer\wine coolers\hard cider can be bought in liquor stores?!?!? And some supermarkets have liquor store sections with everything. 
    Bars only open till 2, but, you can buy a 6-pack at some of them 
    No alcohol Sunday before noon.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Until about 8-10 years ago in Wyoming, you could buy a mixed drink from a drive-thru liquor store in a to-go cup.  Go Cowboys!!

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    LDR said:
    I've lived in four places in Arkansas...    In restaurants, you frequently have to obtain a membership to the restaurant, as if it's a private club, to be able to drink (never thought of Applebees as a private club).
    Huh, I thought utard had been the only place with that "private club" nonsense, and we finally got rid of it a couple years ago.  The "streets bathed in blood" that some locals screamed were coming, never materialized...  :-??

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• When I saw this thread, I thought henapple ran afoul of the law and was looking for free legal advice.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

When I saw this thread, I thought henapple ran afoul of the law and was looking for free legal advice.

Run like hell...
  • nolaegghead
    It's not what ya do but who ya know.  I got a buddy that'll get any y'all misfits outta trouble if ya get outta hand in NOLA. 
    I'm lucky to have Shock Trauma Center license plates. "Have a nice day" is the worst thing that has happened to me getting pulled over.