Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket

Options
JenGang
JenGang Posts: 91

Started it last night about 9pm, had the temp. stable at 240° and for some reason temp. was down to about 180° this morning and we ran out of charcoal around 9am this morning.  Reloaded and got things going again.  I ended up wrapping it in foil for about the last hour or so because I felt like the bottom was getting a little over done.  Just took it off did the whole FTC thing.  The little bits we pulled off before doing that were delicious.  Can't wait for dinner tonight!

Jen

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks good to me.I'd be excited about dinner too.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    If it looks like a meteorite, you are on the right track...

Enjoy and post some sliced pics :)
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    Options
    Didn't take any pictures of it sliced.  It looked good, tasted good but the flat was overcooked and too crispy.  Next time I'd do fat side down and I needed more rub and time to rub it in advance.  It was a last minute decision to make it when we were at Sam's Club yesterday so it was rubbed right before putting it on.  The family thought it was great and I just picked apart all of it's flaws.  :)

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2013
    Options
    JenGang said:
    Didn't take any pictures of it sliced.  It looked good, tasted good but the flat was overcooked and too crispy.  Next time I'd do fat side down and I needed more rub and time to rub it in advance.  It was a last minute decision to make it when we were at Sam's Club yesterday so it was rubbed right before putting it on.  The family thought it was great and I just picked apart all of it's flaws.  :)
    I rub mine 2 minutes before putting them on and I do fat side up. If this is your first, consider it a win. It takes a few to get right. Unless you really know why you would want to rub it overnight or why you would do fat side down instead of up, I would plan a little ahead, post on here beforehand and we'll walk you through. There is absolutely no evidence that fat up/down makes any difference or rubbing overnight or 30 seconds in advance makes any difference. it just takes a few so don't go making huge changes to a near miss (in your mind- sounds like most people thought is was a hit). build on what you have already done. You are close.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Don't give up @JenGang... you'll get it!

I'm going to have to say though... "You ran out of charcoal???" Now that's inexcusable! 
    ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.