Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's time to do something - But what? I need to loose weight

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    pepperoni, abt's, meatballs and sauce, sausage and sauce, bring a small crock pot to work. any meat braised, moink balls, chicken wings, smoked almonds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pistachios.  Get them in the shell.  Taking the time to get them out of the shell helps you eat less, but a few fills me up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I just though of this buy the steam in the bag frozen veggies. They come in single serve packs, you spend a bit more on them but they nuke up perfect. They are flash frozen so they are still packed with nutrients. We use them all the time in a pinch.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Atkins diet. It's perfect for the guy who likes meat and likes to cook meat. Eat all you want!!! I lost 65 lbs in 12 months. Today is my 12 month anniversary date.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Day 2 of low carb (almost none except for salad, cheese) and I am starving.  This better change or I will be right back on the normal bad stuff.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    robnybbq said:
    Day 2 of low carb (almost none except for salad, cheese) and I am starving.  This better change or I will be right back on the normal bad stuff.
    most low carb diets have lots of meat
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@robnybbq - remember to plan your food intake- eat some protein at every intake and be sure to eat every few hours a little bit and drink lots of water...

Now - notice I said intake - not meal... your portions should be smaller (since you are eating 5-6 times a day) and protein comes in many forms - meat, eggs, nuts, nut butter, cheese (high in fat), dairy (think yogurt, cottage cheese).

You've started your new routine and now you can stick to it... I like Greek Yogurt with frozen fruit on top.  Make some up days in advance, grab one every day and for breakfast, morning snack - it's easy.  I like nut butter (almond/peanut - with no added sugar on a low carb kind of cracker). 

Your body is noticing the fewer calories, it wants the sugar, and it needs to flush the cells of metabolic by products from producing energy from different pathways - give it lots of water to help it out - and start taking a multivitamin + Vitamin B complex....

Finally - good for you... losing weight sucks but it is possible by taking a changing routine approach.  I've had a couple off days - but long term approach says I can still net lose weight this week versus last (even if a little less than last week it is still a loss).

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

@robnybbq Good luck and stick with it.  Here is a thread I posted on the boneless skinless chicken breasts that we cook.  Just make sure you marinate them well with whatever seasoning you prefer and give them a try. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153014/boneless-skinless-chicken-breasts-pics#latest

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• robnybbq
    Drinking allot of water. Going to the bathroom every hour now.

Need to plan more. More low carb meals that I can bring to work. Meatloaf is just no going to cut it every day.

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    robnybbq said:
    How do you make skinless breasts taste good other than burying them in a sauce (defeating the purpose of eating skinless breasts as a healthy option)?  Adding basil, lemon juice doesn't cut it.

@robnybbq - if you like garlic, you can do outstanding boneless breasts. Souvlaki is the answer. you need 1 clove garlic crushed, 1 Tbs EVOO, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp oregano leaves, 1 tsp marjoram leaves, dash of wooster, 1 tsp ground pepper per 10" skewer. No salt. You should get at least three 10" skewers from one standard size Fosters or other pair of breasts. Cut the breast into 1" strips, thread onto skewer, marinate for 1-2 hours before you cook at 400 raised direct. Most of the oil will burn off. Good and healthy. Good luck man...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    eat two eggs every morning, pick from this 3 times a day while at work, eat something small but healthy for dinner, i chose this because its easy. there is another route to add some variety, frozen healthy dinners from the supermarket. try and make this easy on yourself for a few weeks as you figure out what you can make ahead. i eat at the supermarket 2 to 3 times a week because its close enough from my work and covienient, they have hot food like chicken wings or meatloaf, or chili, the deli department, prepared foods like stuffed grapeleaves. chinese place is a close walk from my work, chicken terryaki, beef, red pork, chicken wings, chicken with peapods. alot of this has salt and i want to limit that but for now it was more important to lose the weight

Tupperware container

4 slices of roast beef
    4 slices of really fatty salami.
    4 slices of ham
    2 hardboiled eggs
    4 slices of cheese.
    Some slices of cucumber.
    celery.
    Half a tomato

fukahwee maine

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Sell your Egg and eat cardboard and twigs with the lemon water.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I have come up with my own diet.  The one healthy choice per meal diet.  At every meal / snack, ask yourself what is the one healthy choice that you are going to make? Veggies, instead of fries, chicken instead of beef, carrots instead of crackers.  I have been limiting the amount of meat as well. If you load up on fresh veggies, it fills you up and makes a big difference. I am also exercising. It is easy and I have lost more than 10 lbs over the last month (guy).  Of course, if I quit drinking beer, I would pretty much be invisible but that's not going to happen. From an exercise standpoint, find a buddy and start off by walking.  Make that part of your daily healthy choice. Good luck!
    Milton, GA.
  • robnybbq
    OK - Day 5 of very low carb.  I have been very shaky feel like crap the past 2 days but today I am wired.  Plenty of energy and felt like actually got some sleep last night.

Garnerville, NY
  • Keep at it.  You'll feel alittle better each day.  Cooking Light Magazine features BBQ recipies this month.  Just got it yesterday and haven't had time to look at it, but most stuff I've tried from this mag are OK.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    @robnybbq, I agree with @swvabeancounter. The first 3 days suck, after that it's great. Keep at it, that is the main thing is to keep the momentum going.
  • robnybbq
    Still going here.  Down 11 lbs.  But starting to get aggravated on food choices.  Need more variety.  Getting sick of salads reheated leftovers that taste like crap the next day (Except the chicken thighs).

Had the following meals

Every morning is 2 real eggs and a 1/4 sup of egg beaters, some days have bacon mixed adn some shredded mozzarella cheese.

Snacks have been cheese sticks and baby carrots

Lunch has been leftovers (Bleh)

Dinners
    Meatloaf (good for 2 days)
    pork loins (dizzy pig rubbed)
    prime rib (Good the first night - Horrible reheated)
    stuffed bacon wrapped chicken thighs
    stir fry with beef

Could go for a great hamburger but not the same without a bun and ketchup.

I am craving an Italian dish like Pasta with sauce - but noooooooooooooo.

I need more no carb meals that have allot of flavor (Not just rub flavor or bland meat flavor) that I can cook and make extras for work that actually taste good the next day and not dried out.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    if the chicken is dry then dip it in mayo, deviled eggs, gaspacho, nuked taco meat dumped on a salad with cheese, greek yogurt with blueberries and pecans, baked zuchini and sqaush casserole with stewed tomatoes onions and cheese, big coleslaw with blue cheese and bacon crumbled on top,  any kind of dip from smoked salmon to veggie dip served with cuke slices or celery, stuffed mushrooms, pre cooked shrimp with toque sauce. theres gotta be something you like to eat
    fukahwee maine

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Congrats on the 11 pounds!

If you're jonesing for Italian you could make chicken parm.  Make your own sauce so you know it only has onion, garlic, tomatoes and basil and use that to cover a grilled chicken breast.  Dust with parmesan (or conversely, slightly under grill the chicken breast, use mozzarella and throw in the oven to finish the chicken and melt the cheese).  Having it covered in sauce might help if you have to reheat as well.

It is much more a winter dish, but my wife and I make cabbage casserole quite often.  Shred a small head of cabbage (or 1/2 a large) and put in a 9x13 baking pan.  Saute 1 lb ground turkey, 1 onion, 1-2 ribs of celery and several garlic cloves until meat is browned and veggies are tender.  Add 1 jar salsa and stir to combine.  Pour this over the shredded cabbage, cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.  Remove foil, cover with shredded cheddar cheese and put back in the oven until the cheese has melted.  Reheats well too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Get some spaghetti squash and cook it on the egg. Clean out the strands and pour pasta sauce on it and you will get your fix.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Hi Robnybbq,

forgive me, I didn't read the whole thread - but wanted to offer my advice/encouragement.

Losing weight sucks, I've done it - and at the weight I'm at right now (~160lbs 5'7", down from 195 a few years ago), it's a constant battle to maintain.  I lost the weight slowly over a little less than a year (9 months - New Years -> Wedding Date), and have kept it off (for the most part) since.

My advice - sources from various articles, books, trainers, and simple personal experience:
    1. Eat as if you are already your goal weight.  Calculate your caloric intake based upon a 180 lbs man (or whatever your goal weight might be).  This trains your body to realize that "this is the proper amount of food for me".  Any excess energy your body requires, will then have to be made up from it's energy stores.  There are plenty of online calculators/tools to help with this.
    2. Excersise.  I saw that you said you have  time/energy constraints, but I'm talking even a 15 minute walk, at SOME POINT during the day.  Do you smoke?  Take a short walk through your work day and call it your smoke-break.
    3. Remember those energy stores from point 1?  The body can use 3 things, and only 3 things for it's energy supply.  Food, muscle, and fat stores.  The body will use them up in that order as well.  Muscle is actually easier for the body to pull energy from.  However, the way to trick your body into using the fat stores, is by excersising.  If you're using your muscles, your body says, "nope - i need those, go to the fat".
    4. Seek help/encouragement.  You're already doing it, which is great.  If you could convince your wife/kids/parents/friends to lose weight with you - it really is a HUGE help.  The common goals, are a big encouragement in and of themselves. 
    5. Make your goals public knowledge, and be accountable for them.  By telling your family/friends that your goal is to lose [insert goal here] lbs, you then have to explain to them what happened when you didn't lose the weight.  Which isn't a fun conversation, which is another great way to encourage yourself.

and finally - I have to shake my finger at you a little, and I'm sorry.  BUT, I mean this with only the best intentions.

6. Stop making excuses/being so dog-gone negative.  You don't have time to excersise?  15 minutes a day?  really - yes you do.  Cut something else out of your daily routine, or wake up 15 minutes early.  You don't like veggies?  yes you do, try some different ones.  Maybe you don't like Kale, but there's sure to be something else.  Can't eat pasta?  Yes you can - rice pasta (put's on flame-retardant internet suit)
    Now that that's all out of the way - GREAT job - 11 pounds is a awesome start, it really is.  

One other peice of advice I heard recently (froma motivational speaker *shudder*, but I did like this one bit...) goes something along the lines of, major change is best accomplished through a series of incremental changes.  Changing your whole life around in 1 week simply isn't easy.  Instead, make many, many small changes to your daily routine, eventually and almost un-noticed the big change you were looking for happens.

Good Luck Rob - keep up the good work!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • robnybbq
    What I am looking for is new ways to cook different foods.  The bland way I am cooking is not going to last.

Grilling vegetables in a basket they come out dry.  Steaming them in a frying pan does not make them taste anything but what they are and to me that is the earthy taste I am referring to.  Just need a way to change what they taste like form time to time.

Cooked chicken legs/wings last night with some cajun spices and used Red Hot Wing sauce on top came out OK - not really a buffalo wing but OK I guess - I still can not make chicken on the Egg unless its spatchcocked or buried in something.

I am porked out - the two pork loins I did last weekend have run their course of having bland pork in the middle with a rub on the outside if I am explaining it right.

I am looking for foods that are FULL of flavor but no or very low carb - Almost impossible without a sauce that is the problem.  I just do not know what to make.

I am still staying the course but I am starting to get to point of giving up on it again as the repetitive bland food choices all are tasting the same.  I am being very picky and I understand this weightloss is a major change but I can see whats going to come as I get more frustrated.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My $0.02

Veggies dry - cut them in larger chunks and don't cook them so long.  You want them al dente.

Red meats (pork chops/loins, steaks) cook to 130-135.  Any more than that and they are dry and boring.

Chicken - white meat pull at 150-155.  Dark meat pull at 170. It'll rise and keep cooking after pulling. 

There are all kinds of sauces and gravies that can add flavor and moisture that are low in carbs.  Try ethnic varieties.  Dishes like ropa vieja are low in carbs and absolutely delicious (sadly, you'll want to eat a lot of it)...  mix it up.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paulas-party/ropa-vieja-recipe/index.html

Good luck

I'll look into that recipe thanks.

Beef will come out juicy the day I cook it.  The next day it tastes/looks/feels like cardboard.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    How can I flavor chicken besides and exterior rub without a high carb marinade.  Same for veggies - How can I make them taste better?

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    How are you reheating stuff? It sounds like you are sticking it in a microwave for 3 minutes on high and walking away. Try doing 30 sec with 10-15 rests. This allows the water in the food to redistribute(a microwave heats by making the water in stuff bump into each other a lot). It usually takes me 1:30 of cooking time to heat refrigerated food up to eat.
  • robnybbq
    At work in a microwave or not reheated at all.  Limited to what I can do at work.

Pork loin, meatloaf, chicken - no sauce on any of them - just a rub when cooked - Never taste good the next day.  Even at home if I boil in a bag.

At home last week I destroyed leftover prime rib.  Have a 1 and 1/2 rib leftover.  Did not have time to re-roast it for hours so I ended up cutting the meat into 1 inch slices and reheated on a frying pan - Threw it out.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    robnybbq said:
    At work in a microwave or not reheated at all.  Limited to what I can do at work.

Pork loin, meatloaf, chicken - no sauce on any of them - just a rub when cooked - Never taste good the next day.  Even at home if I boil in a bag.

At home last week I destroyed leftover prime rib.  Have a 1 and 1/2 rib leftover.  Did not have time to re-roast it for hours so I ended up cutting the meat into 1 inch slices and reheated on a frying pan - Threw it out.

You could have sliced the Prime rib thinly and made Philly cheese steak without bread. Just add some cheese and make it "wit" onions. Try repurposing leftovers rather than just reheating them. It really helps. I take leftover pork chops and make a stir-fry with them.
  • fishlessman
    could have made chili with the leftover prime and that does reheat well.
    fukahwee maine