Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at Reverse Sear Ribeyes (Pics)

Options
JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
Since reading how everybody is doing reverse sear I though I would try it tonight. I picked up a couple thick bone-in Ribeyes from Publix and a bag of spinach. Then stopped by Ace Hardware as I was out of lump I walked in and at first was very excited as they had a whole skid of Ozark Oak 10lb bags which I have never seen in Atlanta, my excitement was cut short when I asked how much per bag and she said $14.99 as my mouth dropped open she quickly said but this is the Lump they use in competition BBQ. Since I had never tried it I reluctantly bought one bag. Anyway back to the steaks, I got the Egg stabilized at 300 indirect put on the steaks and about 30 minutes later pulled them at 115 and let them rest. While the Egg was ramping up to 650 I sautéed the spinach with EVOO and garlic then seasoned the steaks with Cow Lick and Kosher salt then put the steaks on for 1 minute per side. These were cooked perfect and melted in your mouth my best steaks yet. 

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like your style
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Thanks Buddy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Looks exquisite.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great looking steaks.  Would they give a discount on the lump if you bought the pallet?
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Great looking steaks.  Would they give a discount on the lump if you bought the pallet?
    They were so proud they were selling it no way. At that price they are making a killing, I did tell her that I would try it but there is no way I would be using it at that price. I told her I can get RO at the Restaurant Depot for $8 a bag I just needed some for tonight.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    well....a wise man once said that reverse sear is the redneck sous vide B-) those look awesome. perfectly done
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX