Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bhut Jolokia (ghost peppers)

Options

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    cbruce said:
    I made some hot sauce out of one last year and developed a severe allergic reaction to it that landed me in the hospital. I broke out in a horrible rash and could not bend my joints. there was a point that I could not even get out of bed because it hurt too much. after a month of steroids, weekly blood tests, and a trip to the hospital my body finally recovered. I'm sure my experience was extremely unusual. On a good note... the hot sauce was pretty tasty.
    very hard to just up and diagnose off of a thread post, but you my friend more than likely almost died from botulism, not the "ghost pepper"

XLBGE 
  • cbruce
    cbruce Posts: 19
    Options

Aviator said:
    cbruce said:
    I made some hot sauce out of one last year and developed a severe allergic reaction to it that landed me in the hospital. I broke out in a horrible rash and could not bend my joints. there was a point that I could not even get out of bed because it hurt too much. after a month of steroids, weekly blood tests, and a trip to the hospital my body finally recovered. I'm sure my experience was extremely unusual. On a good note... the hot sauce was pretty tasty.

Looks like you got into the B.toxin.

You need to know what you are doing and pasteurize stuff like this when you make sauces and like. Just because its hot, does not mean bacteria will get to you.  

good advice... I was totally careless when I made the sauce. I'm not even sure if I washed the peppers. A friend of ours gave them to us so I assumed they were already clean. There might have been pesticides on them, who knows.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    cbruce said:

Aviator said:
    cbruce said:

Looks like you got into the B.toxin.

You need to know what you are doing and pasteurize stuff like this when you make sauces and like. Just because its hot, does not mean bacteria will get to you.  

good advice... I was totally careless when I made the sauce. I'm not even sure if I washed the peppers. A friend of ours gave them to us so I assumed they were already clean. There might have been pesticides on them, who knows.
    It can happen to folks who can for years, have to be careful.  My wife had a teacher in high school who was putting up pickles one year.  One lid was dented, did not seal properly.  When she made it to that jar, pop'd a pickle and boom dead... botulism. 

So, now that aviator cleared the pepper is edible with pleasing results, lets not kill over by incorrect preparation 

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cbruce said:
    This goes for anything that susceptible to botulism spore growth - you can't kill the spores by boiling at atmospheric pressure.  You need to acidify the sauce - adding vinegar is the easiest way to prevent it.
    Options
    @Aviator: the rest of the folks here are wimpy compared to your daughter. Kudos to her!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Its what you get used to ,I guess. We are not the "typical fools you see on you tube" who try it whole. We go the cautious route and see if we can at least tolerate it, otherwise throw it out. And she grew up in a household eating very hot food. We really liked the 'flavor" of Dave's NagaJolokia sauce, have to grow into the heat.

Amazon has already shipped my pepper seeds.

\:D/

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @aviator

You going to plant when you get them or save them for next year?

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Someone mentioned these peppers in another thread recently and on it someone mentioned ghost pepper salt. I bought a jar. Pretty good. I made some habanero BBQ sauce this past week. I need to get some seeds of this pepper to grow and try out.
    Boom
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Got a quick question. Making this sauce this weekend. I've got my base done.

But thinking maybe I need some other peppers for flavor?? I've got some jalepeno, habenero, ad cayenne from my garden. I know the bhut will bring the heat. But I want some flavor too.

Any input?

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys: I might have been the one who mentioned the ghost pepper salt. I love the stuff.

@MCN: If it were me, I would try to add a smoked and dried pepper to give the flavor profile some depth, without adding too much more heat - maybe a dried cayenne or ancho pepper. I don't know if you have time to dry some peppers from your own garden, but maybe you could try smoking some? I'm really interested in how your sauce turns out.

• MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @caliking

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to have liquid fire, I want a strong heat but it needs some savory.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Roasting the bhut's on the egg around 300

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Jalepeno was roasted as well then chopped. Raw cayenne.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Roasting some fresh garlic with evoo salt ad peper

XLBGE 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited June 2013
    Options
    You are going to roast your bum too. Looks good but man those things are beyond hot
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I want some! Nothing better than the hot pepper roller coaster. Excitement from beginning to end!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

I want some! Nothing better than the hot pepper roller coaster. Excitement from beginning to end!

Y'all it's gonna be a ride!! I can tell already!! Each pepper has its on smell and kick!! The bhut's take second to hit you but when they do it takes your breath away!!!!

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @aviator

I didn't save any seeds because my buddy is going to. He has a well over a hundred or two peppers. His dads in the tomatoe biz so I'm going to leave the seed saving to the pros. I can still get you some tho

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    Options
    MCN- you're gonna need some sitz baths too! :)

• MrCookingNurse
    Options

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    A little meely but we are getting close to a good base.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Guys these peppers are no joke!! I've put one in and the sauce is on fire!! Going to split the batch and make one hotter

Edit:
    One bhut. It has about 6 cayenne and 12 jalepenoes just for some taste.

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    Options
    That pot looks like it is about to melt.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    This stuff will reach up and slap ya!!

XLBGE 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    One of those jars seems like it would go a loooooong way...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Amazing what shows up when you google "ass fire". (I don't recommend it, this was by far the most tame image that popped up)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Of course, like when you tell your kids what NOT to do, I googled "ass fire".  And you right.  But I don't understand this one....

Options
    Man, those jars look purty, and I feel like I want one, but on the other hand I'm kinda scurrrd!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Of course, like when you tell your kids what NOT to do, I googled "ass fire".  And you right.  But I don't understand this one....

Saw that one. I didn't understand if for at least 15 minutes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX