Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Smoke Ring Lacking

Options
Davcrawf
Davcrawf Posts: 2
Have tried a couple of briskest on my BGE since purchasing in May, they were fairly flavorful and reasonably tender but didn't have much of a smoke ring. Using mesquite chunks in addition to the lump, doubled the amount of mesquite the second time but didn't seem to improve. Any hints would be appreciated!

Comments

• PapaJohnTrini
    Options
    Cooking flank steak n baby back ribs for Father's Day my first time on BGE.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Where do you live? I don't get them either. I live in austin which is very dry. Moisture is key to getting a smoke ring. If you really want one, lots of chunks, drip pan full of water (or beer or whatever liquid you want). I took my egg to the beach last weekend and had a fat smoke ring only brisket. All the humidity in the air allowed it to form. Create moisture inside your egg and you'll get one.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • PapaJohnTrini
    Options
    Smoke some sausage n pork tenderloin also a chicken all the same day on my BGE my first time only had it one week they came out so tender n moist this is so great.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Davecrawf and Cen-Tex, I have always understood that the smoke ring forms only when the meat is below a certain temp, 140° I think, but not positive. Season it and then put it in the fridge until you're ready to throw it on the egg. I've even heard of folks putting it in the freezer for a bit after seasoning. If it starts at a lower temp, it will be below 140° (or whatever it is) for longer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've done all that (its posted on here). If you don't have moisture, you don't have a smoke ring.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Interesting. Don't think I've ever heard of anyone having to add moisture to an egg. Me? I don't care if I have a smoke ring or not.  :D  But I never add moisture and I usually do have one. I just take it out of the fridge, rub it and throw it on.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I do it the same way. I never get them. If I put a drip pan full of water......bingo. I don't care so I don't really do it but I studied up and went down the rabbit hole trying all kinds of tricks. Finally Nola told me to try spraying with water. I did that and it worked. Next time I did a drip pan with water and it worked too. Then At the beach last week (90% humidity) I didn't put anything in there and it had a fat smoke ring. If you burn a 100% wood fire, you'll get one every time because of the moisture in the wood. Lump has none so if you don't have moisture in the air, you have to add it. Smoke rings will not form without humidity, no matter what temp your meat is. Water is a key component (if not the catalyst) for the chemical reaction that causes the smoke ring.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks for the lesson. First time I've ever heard that. Maybe next time, I'll add a pan of water and see what happens. 

Humidity here is very low today. I have a meatloaf cookin' now, with smoke wood. Will be interesting to see if I have a ring. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Psst, CT. Smoke molecules are water soluble. You may be on to something ;)
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    I'm smoking a brisket today. It's raining and humid so theoretically I should have a nice ring later on. It's always humid here in St. Louis though, and I've never not had a good ring. Except for that last brisket I did that got roached :-<
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it's not all humidity but it won't happen without it no matter what. 

• Davcrawf
    Davcrawf Posts: 2
    Options
    Cen tex I am in Houston so you know I got some humidity. On top of that I put a pan of beer/water on second attempt and still wasn't much of one. Thanks for the thoughts and reply's. Fun part is will just have to try again!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Have you guys ever injected your briskets, I do and always get a nice smoke ring. Also I live in Atlanta so we have some humidity. I use the Jack Daniels chips for briskets.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Put a dash of Tenderquick (sodium nitrite) in your rub.  Viola - instant smoke ring.  It's just a visual change - doesn't change the flavor or texture.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Or you can stick it in the freezer for a few hours before you put it on. The ice crystals will moisturize the meat below 140* and you will have more time exposed at lower temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Or you can stick it in the freezer for a few hours before you put it on. The ice crystals will moisturize the meat below 140* and you will have more time exposed at lower temps.
    Myth busted. I did that with photo evidence..........nada. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Put a dash of Tenderquick (sodium nitrite) in your rub.  Viola - instant smoke ring.  It's just a visual change - doesn't change the flavor or texture.
    Bingo - that's why judges don't look for smoke rings in competition.

I'll tell ya what - everyone send me a brisket.  I'll be the judge... 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    celery salt in your rub will do it too.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Explains why I always have smoke ring. Humid as balls in Columbia SC
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013