Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone actually use the BGE lump?

Im fairly new when it comes to egging.  I bought my egg right around my bday at which time I was given a $100 gift cert to the local bbq store.  I used that to buy 4 bags of lump, the BGE brand.  I have been bbq'ing a long time and hate buying lump so I figured 4 "free" bags were perfect!  Anyway, I am about out of this lump and ill be buying more of something soon.  I notice on the forum there are never really bge lump threads but plenty of others on other brands, which got me curious.  My pops also refuses to use the bge brand in his egg.  Says its too expensive...which from what I am finding, I kind of agree with.

So, does anyone actually use this or is there better value out there?  I don't love the lump as the bags have been lots of small pieces and lots of dust (I separate the sizes in 3 buckets usually). 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    BGE lump is rebranded Royal Oak. Royal Oak seems to be ubiquitous no matter where you buy lump;usually for much less than the branded varieties.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think the consensus is it is not the best value.  Most people believe it is Royal Oak, which you can get right now at Wally-world for $.58/lb vs $1/lb for BGE brand.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I just bought RO at about 56 cents a pound.  RO is my go to, I like Wicked Good when I can get it, and Best of the West is a good fall back (you get it at Sam's).  I won't use Cowboy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Just picked up 4 bags of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior at Job Lot for the same price I paid for one bag on BGE lump. The BGE lump is very good but pricey.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited June 2013
    @doc_eggerton - Thats a hefty supply you have there. I thought my Six 17.6 bags of RO was a stock pile, but you trump mine and then some!!! 

I bought a few bags of Cowboy from lowes during the memorial day sale. Cant wait for those to get burnt so I can use RO exclusively. 

BGE lump (too pricey) will never get burned in my egg unless there is a national shortage in other brands. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Bought a bunch at a 2 for 1 sale but at 30 bucks a bag in Toronto forget it. Less expensive lump burns just as hot.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I use BGE lump. I don't like to go to town for anything and since the butcher and the egg store are so close to each other I don't mind.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    GATABITES said:
    @doc_eggerton - Thats a hefty supply you have there. I thought my Six 17.6 bags of RO was a stock pile, but you trump mine and then some!!! 

I'm getting nonchalant about my lump supply. I'm down to around 108 lbs, and feeling pretty calm.

I bought 2 bags of BGE lump when I got my first Egg. Based on that tiny sample, it had more big lump and less dust than the average bag of RO. But not good enough for the price, and having to drive half way across the county to the dealer.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I am back to RO or BGE, till I find something better.

Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Used to just buy BGE lump. Found Ozark Oak  and now only buy the RO if henapple is not in Texas....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Dealer cost on the West Coast has gone up to $19.79 per 20# bag. So even buying at cost is getting expensive.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I buy the BGE brand, can get it here $17/bag which is $0.85/lb.  I won't go into a Walmart if I can help it and have let my Sam's club membership expire; I still am not 100% consistent in my cooks and one less variable makes life simpler.  Plus, I just don't use that much lump, living alone...  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    There are lots of brands of lump that are as good or better at a much better price. I use Humphrey Lump exclusively. I buy it in bulk quantities and get a great price on it. I learned about it from the Naked Whiz's site. Check his site out. He has tested and ranked tons (perhaps literally) of lump and has his reviews on each one.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @cortguitarman, what kind of pricing can you get?
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    I just bought 2 big bags of Royal Oak yesterday at Wal-Mart for $12.58 a piece. How much are they normally? Trying to decide if I should go back and get more...
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I think the consensus is it is not the best value.  Most people believe it is Royal Oak, which you can get right now at Wally-world for $.58/lb vs $1/lb for BGE brand.  
    Last time I looked, it still said it was made by Royal Oak on the bag. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    Stubbs was on sell at Costco's a while back and I got me a 20 lb bag.  The problem was that there where no chunks.  Just little bits and pieces.  Right now I'm just trying to burn it off.
  • I only burn the BGE lump when it's wearing the RO label.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have had my egg for over three years and technically i have been using BGE lump since the first day --  they gave me a bag and i never used it.  Still have it!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just picked up 4 bags of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior at Job Lot for the same price I paid for one bag on BGE lump. The BGE lump is very good but pricey.
    BrotherEgg, just so you aren't surprised when you open the bags, those WG bags are "seconds". Not that that should be a surprise given that they were at Job Lot. Lee told me about that deal and I keep forgetting to go. Probably sold out now. Anyway, she said, more or less... if you don't mind some smaller pieces and some dust, not our usual good stuff......

Can't beat the price, that's for sure. I always thought some of their usual pieces were too big anyway! :)

To answer the OP, I've used two bags of BGE lump. The two the dealer gave me when I bought my egg. :) Ridiculous pricing!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    edited June 2013
    I have one bag of BGE lump in the garage, currently using RO cause it's cheap ( I will go to Walmart for cheap lump) also have some Natures own Maple lump which is really good. Will not use Cowboy!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    My old neighbor and the guy that turned me on to the BGE will only use BGE charcoal and starters.  He used to tell me it was sacrilegious to use brand X in my egg.  He still texts me pictures of BGE charcoal bags when he stocks up and I tell him he is over paying for Royal Oak. 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Only time I use BGE lump is when I'm being EXTREMELY lazy.  My dealer is actually closer to my house then any other retail establishment. But most of the time I will go and get Royal Oak at another establishment.  As much as I can't stand Wal-Mart it's the most affordable and always available source near me that isn't a firework show when trying to light it.

BGE is great, just overpriced.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Just over 24 bones a bag here. Our dealer is really pricey though. And they never have much lump. Sometimes they don't have any. They never have any accesories either.
    NW IOWA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I prefer Royal Oak..........a local employee-owned discount store is selling the large bag for $11.49 each.  Doesn't appear to be a sale price, hopefully will last all summer.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Is ro and BGE made by the same company? Idk, but Chevrolet makes corvette and chevette. Price per pound isn't the only factor. Taste and cooks per pound are important also.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    henapple said:
    Is ro and BGE made by the same company? Idk, but Chevrolet makes corvette and chevette. Price per pound isn't the only factor. Taste and cooks per pound are important also.
    I tried RO and the SWMBO noticed it very quickly. She didn't like the taste it imparted on her pizza. I switched back to BGE and she is happy now. I've used them both and I think that BGE might be pricey but it is a better lump.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• bo_mull said:
    henapple said:
    I tried RO and the SWMBO noticed it very quickly. She didn't like the taste it imparted on her pizza. I switched back to BGE and she is happy now. I've used them both and I think that BGE might be pricey but it is a better lump.
    well........

They are the same thing. Just like the BGE remote thermometer is a just BGE branded Maverick ET-732, BGE lump is RO in a green bag at a 40% premium. Save yourself some money and try it again. I don't use either but seriously, they are the same thang.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I disagree and think you're stupid.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    I disagree and think you're stupid.
    of course you do. You are just a shill for Ozark Oak

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX