Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi. I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.

I'm cooking at the Owosso Grill Fest this Saturday. The Health Inspector is requiring all prep be done on site. Goodbye pulled pork and anything else that takes longer to cook or prepare. I'm doing pig candy, MOINK balls and Nutella tortilla dessert pizza.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Don't forget to wash your hands and to put a hair net on!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Got PRISM?

Seattle, WA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Same standards as your local restaurants...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Fred,

Check out the frozen food section for appetizers. You could do samosas, breaded stuffed shrimp, dumplings, bacon wrapped chicken balls and so on.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Go off the reservation - langostino tapas on a stick
    I hear langoustines are really cheap in Eastern Michigan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    because they don't know what the hell they are ;)  I kid!  I kid!
    SkinnyV said:
    Got PRISM?

Pentwater, MI
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just tell him he better get his arse on site at midnight the morning of when you show up with your egg and your tent ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Nola - Welcome back. In a different capacity, I'm also a government a$$hole with a @#$&%?! clipboard. That's how I know how helpful those fine folks are. I gotta think about the langostines. I'm on my way to Elaine's dance recital tonight.
    Flint, Michigan
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    CharlieTN said:

Big Brother is way annoying.

Side story - lived in Fairbanks Alaska for 8+ years.  Local hot springs resort built one of those ice hotels you could stay in for a night.  Next year the local fire marshal shut them down because they didn't have a sprinkler system in the ice hotel.  
    Chena?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Nola - Welcome back. In a different capacity, I'm also a government a$$hole with a @#$&%?! clipboard. That's how I know how helpful those fine folks are. I gotta think about the langostines. I'm on my way to Elaine's dance recital tonight.
    @Fred19Flintstone Don't get me wrong - both my parents worked for the government and I'm not an anti-govmnt anarchist or anything.  I just wanted that particular inspector to shove the clipboard up his ass because it's just totally effin' ridiculous to not allow people to off-site prep stuff they aren't commercially selling.  Think about bake sales (and they are selling food) - are the kids supposed to bake their cookies on-site? 

Anyway, thanks - nice to be back even though I barely got anything done today because I've been obsessively catching up.... 
    Nola - Welcome back. In a different capacity, I'm also a government a$$hole with a @#$&%?! clipboard. That's how I know how helpful those fine folks are. I gotta think about the langostines. I'm on my way to Elaine's dance recital tonight.
    @Fred19Flintstone Don't get me wrong - both my parents worked for the government and I'm not an anti-govmnt anarchist or anything.  I just wanted that particular inspector to shove the clipboard up his ass because it's just totally effin' ridiculous to not allow people to off-site prep stuff they aren't commercially selling.  Think about bake sales (and they are selling food) - are the kids supposed to bake their cookies on-site? 

Anyway, thanks - nice to be back even though I barely got anything done today because I've been obsessively catching up.... 

I don't know about others, but when i am out and buying food, i don't do it blindly, if i see filth or poor food practices -- i am going to pass on eating it!!  It wouldn't be the first time i got up and walked out of a restaurant!!! 

• nolaegghead
    I agree with ya there.
    I'm a big fan of "leave me the hell alone"
  • Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    That is how they do it in Indiana as well.  I did an eggfest last year and prepped my cream cheese for pig shots ahead of time and brought it.  They turn a blind eye to a lot of stuff. The only thing the health inspector really looked for was that the chaffing dishes were ok and that we served people(no public pulling out of chaffing dishes).  
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I do not live in Alabama, but i think their inspection system is the best.  Yes, it is strict, but equal.  Any customer can review any restaurant they come into-- before they sit down to eat.  And they control ALL food products before they are presented to their citizens.. 
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

Side story - lived in Fairbanks Alaska for 8+ years.  Local hot springs resort built one of those ice hotels you could stay in for a night.  Next year the local fire marshal shut them down because they didn't have a sprinkler system in the ice hotel.  
    Chena?
    Yep.  You been in Fairbanks? 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I just wanted that particular inspector to shove the clipboard up his ass because it's just totally effin' ridiculous to not allow people to off-site prep stuff they aren't commercially selling.  Think about bake sales (and they are selling food) - are the kids supposed to bake their cookies on-site?  
    And I thought America was the land of the free...... Here in west coast Canuckistan, we have no more bake sales, for exactly the reason noted, it must be prepped and cooked on site - had no idea SWMBO's rice krispy treats were toxic and a health risk. 
    @Fred19Flintstone - good luck, make us proud (even if it means you are limited to dusting some Jiffy Pop with a favorite rub)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Nola, it's all good brother!  You know you deserve a little crap for the vanishing act.  But yeah, in another capacity, I am a government a$$hole with a %&*@!? clipboard.  While I certainly didn't invent the saying, I know all about "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

When I was young and stupid, I graduated with a degree in Public Administration and Political Science.  Essentially a degree in "how to excel in working for government".  I believed working for government is a way to help people.  It's OK to laugh because that is how naïve I was.  That was 25 years ago.  Now I know better, but unfortunately for me, I'm locked in.

I don't want to do the MOINKs because that's pretty much slapping some bacon on a prepared food.  It would be better to do something that showcases the egg's capabilities.  That's what the event is all about!  There's no need for me to hurry.  The cook is Saturday.

Flint, Michigan
  • Insomnia's a beeotch!  Here's my girl in one of her costumes in tonight's (yesterday's) dance recital.

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    awwwww...precious

Yeah, I knew I'd take crap for going AWOL.  It's all good man.  I'm on your side on this.  I probably don't have the same skepticism you have with the "...and I'm here to help you", because I've worked in the private sector where it's super competitive and vicious.  I've survived 22 years at the same firm...we come from different worlds. 
    CharlieTN said:

CharlieTN said:

Chena?

I was stationed at ft wainwright for 4 years.
  • Cruising the Foodnetwork.com site, I think I found a winner.  Margarita Chicken Skewers.  Marinade strips of boneless breast in thawed frozen margarita mix, cilantro, a little rub (Dizzy Pig is part sponsor of the event) and tequila of course!  Need I go on?  I'll hit Kroger on the way home tonight and do a dry run.  With tequila around, dry is not an adjective that is very accurate, but it is the expression.  "Dry run" is what I'll be doing. 

Flint, Michigan
  • CharlieTN
    CharlieTN Posts: 177

Chena?
    I was stationed at ft wainwright for 4 years.
    I wasn't too far from you, only about 4 miles from the gate.  Lived there for 8 + years.  Moved back to TN 7 years ago.  I do miss the beautiful country but don't miss the long dark winters.  Of course it's fun to chide my coworkers here when they say it's cold in TN.