Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip..... I think

First off I'm posting this to document my learning experience and possibly help someone else. This is not to show off a cook by no means.

Ha ok now that that's off my chest. I posted a picture of some cuts of beef on butcher paper with names on them. One was a loin tip roast and I was directed toward something like a tri tip. Set it out last night for supper tonight.

Doesn't look anything like some I've see.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Red eye express and a touch of Jamaican firewall. Let it sit out while got eggs ready.

I went with a mixture of tips from y'all and did 3-4 min a side as hot as the large would get. I don't have anyway of going lower than grate. I should have taken fire ring out and went a little lower.

Currently I'm one thermo down, so after I checked and it was over 600

Moved to the small which was set up indirect at 450

Oops how'd that get there! Had some deer sausage appetizers.

Ten min a side got me almost to 125.

Did about another 5 min after that.

XLBGE 

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    1. I need better knives. Couldn't slice it like I wanted.
    2. Pretty tasty when you got a bite cut right
    3. Should have flipped and turned more, one side was med rare one side med well to well
    4. Do not think it was tri tip
    5. Practice makes perfect! Fun cook! And family enjoyed!

XLBGE 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Having never cooked a tri-tip I don't know but I thought tri-tips were triangle shaped.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Definitely not a trip tip. Looks good to me though
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks like a chuck roast.  Hell, if it tastes good, who cares!
    He'll I'd eat it!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Yeah, that's not tri-tip.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Yea I was thinking chuck. Kinda thrown off by butcher label. It's was good. Would have rather done pulled beef if had the time.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Yea I was thinking chuck. Kinda thrown off by butcher label. It's was good. Would have rather done pulled beef if had the time.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    I've got one more of these in the freezer. It will be @hapster pulled beef for sure.

Thanks for comments and helps guys.

XLBGE 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Nice table there Mrcookingnurse you done a great job on it.The beef looks tasty too!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    I like your table too.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    It's not tri-tip and not a chuck roast. It looks like what we used to call a sirloin tip roast, back in my meat cutting days.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Tri Tip is a triangular cut usually.  Help that helps.  Not always a perfect triangle, but a rough triangle.
  • MrCookingNurse
    @billyray

That would prolly explain why it was labeled "loin tip roast"

How would you cook it?

XLBGE 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited March 2013
    @billyray That would prolly explain why it was labeled "loin tip roast" How would you cook it?
    In the old days before tri-tips were even known the round consisted of 3 major pieces, bottom round, top round and the sirloin tip. Although it's more tender than the top round, it's still a rather tough piece and should be cooked like a typical pot roast. Low heat and a longer period of time. It would also work being braised. Some areas of the country might also call this a Ball Tip roast. If you were to slice it into steaks, you would treat it like a top round and tenderize before cooking with a jacquard.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    Looks like a chuck roast.  Hell, if it tastes good, who cares!

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I'ts already been said, but that certainly does not look like a tri-tip (but who cares as along as it's good...). 

I don't think I've ever seen that temp through the top technique photographed before. I like it! That's a bold move, my friend! 

If you do find a tri-tip I highly recommend a nice reverse sear on it, and pay particular attention to the grain as you're cutting, it'll turn towards the middle. I'ts an amazing cut if you can cook it right then slice it right, but it takes some practice. Very common out here in Cali, but tough to find elsewhere.

Anyone else ever get a cut called a watermelon roast? I used to have that at my grandparents house when I was younger (10-15 years ago) but haven't seen one in a long time.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI