Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wanna say goodbye!!!

Ok....so after 6 months of waiting i've finally reached a milestone...the last weekend of using my Napoleon gasser is here and next w/e I pick up my large egg.The gasser will be a storage unit from now on and I am so looking forward to egging something. Maybe spatchcock chicken or a butt as suggested by many but I wanna do someting different maybe smoked cabbage rolls what ya think? I have to ask tho what makes the egg so much better than the old gasser?  Is it charcoal flavor or maybe moisture retention...is it really a game changer as many say.I get pretty good results going indirect on the gasser and am looking forward to a change!!!! So excited!!!!
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Congratulations. There is no turning back now.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I been looking for a way to do cabbage on the grill. If you try it let me know how you like it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    It's the flavor from the charcoal, the moisture in the meat but as much as anything it's the versatility of being able to cook anything, any way possible and have it be excellent.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Other than flavor and moisture there will be very little difference between your gasser and your egg. I've sold 2 eggs in the last 2 weeks while I was visiting my dealer to get some rubs and look at the champion table again... Enjoy.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    hapster said:
    Make sure you have shoes on when you run over and kick your gasser screaming "you piece of sh$t!"... Enjoy
    Ahh Hapster my wife laughed out loud when I read her this!!!! Hope its true!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Ketch
    Ketch Posts: 4
    I too am a recent gasser to egger.  The flavour, man, the flavour.  Done spatch chicken, twice, reverse seared striploins (wow), ribs and several different veggies. All indirect except the steaks.  Just excellent.  
    Gettin' a little better everyday
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Ketch said:
    I too am a recent gasser to egger.  The flavour, man, the flavour.  Done spatch chicken, twice, reverse seared striploins (wow), ribs and several different veggies. All indirect except the steaks.  Just excellent.  
    Jamie - this is the difference - taste. You can smoke on a gasser, but not like you can on the egg. 
    Don't kick your gasser to the curb, specially a Nappy. I still use my old Broil King, mostly as a warming oven. It is ideal. Veggies, are often still done on the gasser, SWMBO does not care for smoked veggies. 
    For your first cook, at least 4 hours before eating time, fire it up, then in with the setter, drip pan and grid. Set the bottom vent at about an inch, the DFMT with the petals open. Take the three hours to learn and let it idle until you get a stable 350-400. Use the spare time wisely, I suggest to imbibe in Lamb's or maybe a Moosehead or two. About 1 hour before you want to serve, throw on your spatched chicken and you will know why we love our eggs. 
    First thing I ever cooked on a Kamado was a spatched chicken on my neighbors KJ. He gave me these instructions and I've never looked back. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    To shtgunal3 Sorry for my lack of working with the forum. But for a cabbage cook. How to grill by Steven Raichlen.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    To CANMAN    U will be amazed at the difference. it is a  whole other ride in cooking. Hope u enjoy!!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• You will wonder why didn't you do it years ago!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    You're one of the most dedicated future eggers I've seen. Actively posting for nearly 7 months and you don't have an egg yet. There is something pretty badass about that!

Very much looking forward to some cook threads (with pics)!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    Hey newf! Cabbage rolls, lasagna, sheperd's pie, moose pie, tourtiere or cannelloni will be way better on the egg than in your oven.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Not even in the same stratosphere.  Case in point.....I had a gasser I paid around $600 for about eight years ago.  Got the Egg last summer and realized recently I hadn't fired up the gasser since I got the Egg, about nine months.  Sold it to a guy on craigslist for $75 and was happy to see it go.  I even helped him load it up.

I've also had top-notch smokers in the past too.  The Egg does as good a job, if not better, on low and slow BBQ plus the versatility of the Egg is far better and what really sold me. 

Welcome to the cult.....now see if you can get your friends and relatives to join.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    once  you EGG theirs not else 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • drmarko
    drmarko Posts: 6
    I have had my egg for About a month now. I can sum it up like this, a bad cook on an egg is better than a great cook on a gasser. This thing is truly amazing, my 5 year old and 3 year old keep wanting me to make more food on it.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I am a noob too.  You will soon understand and welcome aboard!!!
    Milton, GA.
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Ketch said:
    Jamie - this is the difference - taste. You can smoke on a gasser, but not like you can on the egg. 
    Don't kick your gasser to the curb, specially a Nappy. I still use my old Broil King, mostly as a warming oven. It is ideal. Veggies, are often still done on the gasser, SWMBO does not care for smoked veggies. 
    For your first cook, at least 4 hours before eating time, fire it up, then in with the setter, drip pan and grid. Set the bottom vent at about an inch, the DFMT with the petals open. Take the three hours to learn and let it idle until you get a stable 350-400. Use the spare time wisely, I suggest to imbibe in Lamb's or maybe a Moosehead or two. About 1 hour before you want to serve, throw on your spatched chicken and you will know why we love our eggs. 
    First thing I ever cooked on a Kamado was a spatched chicken on my neighbors KJ. He gave me these instructions and I've never looked back. 
    I agree with everything Skiddy says, except about the Keith's.   Black Horse, or maybe a Dominion would be more suitable for the maiden voyage.

As for what makes the Egg a whole new experience?  Sure the lump taste and the moisture retention will be immediately noticeable, but as you get used to to the new flavours you'll start noticing a whole new dimension.  It really does add a satisfying complexity to anything I've cooked on it so far.

It's kind of like magic.

New Brunswick, Canada

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I haven't used a gasser for years (converted to the egg from a Weber charcoal grill) and still I noticed a big difference. 

One other difference between the gasser and the egg is that you're going to acquire a robust smokey aroma that will constantly remind you that you're now in the cult! 
    :))
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    To me it's the wood fired taste with the convenience of being able to maintain an oven temperature setting.
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Once you start cooking on the egg you will wonder why you waited so long to make the change. You will also wonder how to find enough meats to cook to solve your egg craving. Everything taste better on the egg.
    Gulf Coast FL