Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Since WGWW Is No Longer Available (And I Hear Their Customer Service Stinks)

2»

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    cazzy said:

My plan is to go back to BGE/RO until I find something better.   Was not dissatisifed with those before, just had found something much better.

On the search for my new Charcoal of choice.   Need to get back to NakedWhiz site for some review of his research.  

Watching here closely for ideas.

It's unfortunate that WW is no longer available at my neighborhood Ace affiliate. I bought 5 bags of RO and I'm not a fan at all. Going back to HEB Central Market Lump immediately after.

I think I will pick up 1 bag this afternoon and try it.   I have not used the BGE/RO in at least a year.   Maybe my memory has faded a bit, I remember not having any bad experiences with it, but it may not be what I am looking for long term.  Thanks for the heads up Cazzy.

For a year I have been on Wicked Good, have cycled in a bag of Cowboy that someone gave me ( didnt like it).   Bought a bag of Ozark Oak - maybe I just got a bad bag and should try it again.

With the OO, I had two overnight cooks that cored.   After that, I used up the remainder in hotter cooks - for a higher temp cook OO is good.

The search continues.....

Cookin in Texas
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Thanks for the input guys.  I see people raving about OO.  Man I really just wish I could keep buying WWGW...super bummed about that but nothing I can do about it.  

I want to try the OO and might just do that.

@sltcharcoal I have a business so we can ship it there.  I am going to see if SmokinTiger81 would want to as well?

Thanks for all the input guys.  Guess @carolina_q must have just wanted to tell me that WGWW was the best stuff and I shouldn't buy anything else???  Maybe since I can no longer get it I should just give my egg away because it is apparently useless without WGWW :)
    Lit said:
    r270ba said:
    Lit said:
    I posted earlier asking about a couple on amazon. They qualify for prime free shipping and have good reviews.
    I read that and I might give it a try.  Did you actually order any?
    I just ordered a 35 lb bag of the Fogo. Should be here Tuesday I will post results once I give it a go.
    please do!

Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• r270ba
    @stlcharcoal...please don't take this the wrong way but how do you compare to the rest of the big guys.  I haven't really heard of you.  That isn't a huge deal when trying out a bag or two but 30 makes me a little nervous.  Please don't take that question the wrong way.  You website makes me inclined to give you a try (really nice)!  

I hope you understand my question...concern.  I can just hear my wife now...you bought a pallet of charcoal!!!!???
    Anderson, SC

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

@stlcharcoal  - send me a bag to try.   If I like it - I will become your greatest advocate.   I am hungry - searching for my new charcoal....

Cookin in Texas
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I got a bag of Grill Mark at Ace Hardware to try.  From what I am reading it is made by Royal Oak.  Has anyone used it yet?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

Have you shipped into Canada? It's 750 miles from St. Lou. I would be interested if I can find a few around here.

I have never shipped out of the country, and I can't quote it through my portal.  Send me your details and I'll have my logistics company quote it for international.

• stlcharcoal
    r270ba said:
    @stlcharcoal...please don't take this the wrong way but how do you compare to the rest of the big guys.  I haven't really heard of you.  That isn't a huge deal when trying out a bag or two but 30 makes me a little nervous.  Please don't take that question the wrong way.  You website makes me inclined to give you a try (really nice)!  

I hope you understand my question...concern.  I can just hear my wife now...you bought a pallet of charcoal!!!!???

No worries, I understand.  I can ship 1 or 3 bags via FedEx Ground for you to try.  They're at MSRP and you pay the shipping.  It's not very economical, the boxes get beat up, and it's a pain the butt for me......so I only do it for those that are serious about buying pallets and/or becoming dealers.

You should have heard my wife 3-4 yrs ago before I had the warehouse.  I had the 3-car garage and half the hangar packed with pallets of charcoal.  But then it was a no brainer to spend the cash on the warehouse. :)

• stlcharcoal
    r270ba said:
    @stlcharcoal...please don't take this the wrong way but how do you compare to the rest of the big guys.  I haven't really heard of you.  

Missed this part of the question.

I don't like to compare ourselves to other brands because there is no telling what you have.  Even though the bag may be identical, there's no telling what plant it came from (or even if it's US made.)

I can tell you that we're better than anything available in my city....some of which is very popular on this board.  I try competitors bags quite frequently.  Some of it under-kilned all the time; and the rest is hit or miss.  Every once in a while I'll get an awesome bag of charcoal from WalMart or Restaurant Depot, but I cannot be guaranteed it will be.  I wanted a CONSISTANT product, and that's why I am so anal about how this is delivered, handled, etc......and that's why I will never sell it mail order.

We do not have any [BS] claims about "special techniques / recipes / etc"  It's just damn good  charcoal from Missouri hardwoods that is properly kilned and bagged.  That's all there is to it.

• r270ba
    r270ba said:
    @stlcharcoal...please don't take this the wrong way but how do you compare to the rest of the big guys.  I haven't really heard of you.  

Missed this part of the question.

I don't like to compare ourselves to other brands because there is no telling what you have.  Even though the bag may be identical, there's no telling what plant it came from (or even if it's US made.)

I can tell you that we're better than anything available in my city....some of which is very popular on this board.  I try competitors bags quite frequently.  Some of it under-kilned all the time; and the rest is hit or miss.  Every once in a while I'll get an awesome bag of charcoal from WalMart or Restaurant Depot, but I cannot be guaranteed it will be.  I wanted a CONSISTANT product, and that's why I am so anal about how this is delivered, handled, etc......and that's why I will never sell it mail order.

We do not have any [BS] claims about "special techniques / recipes / etc"  It's just damn good  charcoal from Missouri hardwoods that is properly kilned and bagged.  That's all there is to it.

Well let me talk to some of my upstate SC buddies and see if they would be interested in splitting a pallet.  I like your answer and I will hold off before buying OO online.

Ron
    Anderson, SC

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    r270ba said:

Their charcoal is the next on my list.  If this tropical storm leaves and I have some good weather, I should get to it this weekend.   We'll see.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • r270ba
    So Whiz you have some to test out?
    Anderson, SC

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    r270ba said:
    So Whiz you have some to test out?
    Yep!  Like I say, next on my list.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Any Maryland eggers that want to get down on a pallet buy from @stlcharcoal? Perhaps after the Wizard sans robes tests it out?
  • stlcharcoal
    Any Maryland eggers that want to get down on a pallet buy from @stlcharcoal? Perhaps after the Wizard sans robes tests it out?

You just missed out.....shipped a pallet to Elk Ridge, MD yesterday.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

You just missed out.....shipped a pallet to Elk Ridge, MD yesterday.
    To whom? Maybe I can beg for a few bags. That's on my way home from Baltimore.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Is it available in St. Lou? I have a friend in Dogtown.(egger)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    >Eggcelsior said:
    You just missed out.....shipped a pallet to Elk Ridge, MD yesterday. To whom? Maybe I can beg for a few bags. That's on my way home from Baltimore. I am awaiting the shipment to arrive at a shipping terminal in Elkridge - probably will arrive sometime next week. I can probably spare a few bags once I pick it up. Shoot me a PM and when it arrives I can contact you.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Send a bag to a few of the heavy hitters on here.. And if they approve.... It'll drain your supply.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Maybe not right now, but assuming Wegmans stops carrying their store brand sometime this fall/winter I'll definitely be looking for a way to avoid going to my dealer and paying $1.50/lb for BGE brand.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• r270ba
    henapple said:

Send a bag to a few of the heavy hitters on here.. And if they approve.... It'll drain your supply.

Damn it. Only 2000 more posts and might be considered =))
    Anderson, SC

• stlcharcoal
    Is it available in St. Lou? I have a friend in Dogtown.(egger)
    Of course!  Nearest retailer to Dogtown is Local Harvest in Tower Grove Park.  They have a limited supply though--very small store.  If he needs more than a few bags, call ahead and order it.  Anne will special order it from the Kirkwood store or me.
  • stlcharcoal
    boatbum said:

@stlcharcoal  - send me a bag to try.   If I like it - I will become your greatest advocate.   I am hungry - searching for my new charcoal.... 

henapple said:

I wish I could, but I can't be shipping free bags charcoal all over the US.....I'd be out of charcoal and broke from the shipping.  If you guys want to buy a bag and pay for the shipping, then I'll send it out.  If you decide to buy a pallet, I'll credit you for that sample bag (or figure something out).

Besides, these boxes get beat to hell, and I don't like how my product arrives.  The bags on the pallet arrive in a much better condition.