Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken, Raised Grid or Not?

Hi all. I am new to Egging and have two cooks under my belt (ribs & pulled pork), now I want to attempt spatchcock chicken.  I have read a lot of post on here and have found discussions regarding direct or indirect methods. It seems that all of the direct methods call for "raised grid" which I don't have setup, I'm sure I can set this up if necessary. Does anybody do this on the regular factory settings, grid on top of frie ring? I have an XLBGE. I really appreciate your help with this. 

BR

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Raise it up at 375. The flare ups at grate level will most likely burn your chicke .
    Lynnwood WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited June 2013
    The simplest way to get an inexpensive raised grid setup is to get another grid (cheap weber always works), drink 3 beers and set those empty cans on the lower grid to get the elevation.  You can also place them direct on the fire ring and go with one grid but that has stability issues.  Some use 4-5" bolts and nuts with the second grid as well.  Try the search function and you may find additional info and pics.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

You could also use 2 bricks wrapped in foil to elevate the top grid, but that is not as much fun as starting your cook with a few beers in you. :) First rule of egging: the cook must be well-marinated.

I like to cut the chicken in half longitudinally - along the soine and along the breast. Gives me 2 halves that are easier to handle on the egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • _BR_
    _BR_ Posts: 42
    Thanks for the info.  I do have an extra grill lying around here and a couple bricks. Raised grid it is.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

I see your a fan of "trailer park boys" with Bubbles as your Avatar.....where you located  _BR???

Another Newfie Maybe????

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • I went direct on my small without raising it and it turned out great!
  • _BR_
    edited June 2013
    caliking: Just got back with the beer and a couple of shots thanks for the encouragement :)

CANMAN1976
    I'm in So California, "trailer park boys" are a staple in my house. even SWMBO enjoys. Sunnyvale TP would host the greatest Eggfest ever IMHO. Hope to visit the great white north some day.
  • _BR_
    I went direct on my small without raising it and it turned out great!
    I did see your cooks and they looked great.  I was kind of hoping that a setup right out of the box would be the most popular but I guess not. Raised is fortunately easy enough to accomplish for me. Thanks for the info and great pics.  Kick ass beard btw.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The XLBGE is big enough you can shove the lump to one side to cut down on the direct IR, those with one are more expert. 
    For spatched chicken, I use raised direct (350-400 grid) if going for a rubbed, crispy skin, and plate setter indirect (same temps, 350-400) if going for a sauced/glazed finish. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Depending on how much smoke flavor you want (or don't want) you might use a drip pan on the lower grid.  I just fold up a good-sized piece of foil to catch most of the drippings.  My wife and I like the amount of smoke produced by the lump alone. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • _BR_

jaydub58 said:
    Depending on how much smoke flavor you want (or don't want) you might use a drip pan on the lower grid.  I just fold up a good-sized piece of foil to catch most of the drippings.  My wife and I like the amount of smoke produced by the lump alone. 
    Does the drippings make that much of a difference? This will be my first direct cook.
    The XLBGE is big enough you can shove the lump to one side to cut down on the direct IR, those with one are more expert. 
    For spatched chicken, I use raised direct (350-400 grid) if going for a rubbed, crispy skin, and plate setter indirect (same temps, 350-400) if going for a sauced/glazed finish. 
    What does raised direct (350 - 400) = dome temp?
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Again, it's just a matter of taste.  If there is nothing between the bird and the lump, all the drippings will burn, creating smoke.  In my taste, and She Who Eats With Me, it is just smokier than we care for. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • _BR_
    Yeah, I'm don't wan't SWEWM to be disappointed for sure. Thanks!

• Pacuare
    Pacuare Posts: 77
    I have a large and have done it both ways. The chicken definitely turns out better if the grid is raised. I just raise the grid by using two firebricks wrapped in foil set on the fire ring with the stock grate on top of them.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2013
    Direct raised 375/400. Skin side up and do not turn over. Same way with turkey.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• _BR_
     Pacuare: that does seem to be the consensus, going to have to do this way this time.
  • _BR_
    Thanks Mickey!
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Ive Been doIng All My Cooks Raised Dierct... Seems To Work Great.
    Rowlett, Texas
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Spatch I do raised, on the AR ( adj rig ), indirect with pan, at 350-375.  Just saying...always moist and good.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    cookinfun said:

Spatch I do raised, on the AR ( adj rig ), indirect with pan, at 350-375.  Just saying...always moist and good.

Could you please give me a little more information on an AR. Which manufacturer and or a good source for one for a medium egg. Thanks.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    try side-to-side, hot side, roasting side.  that's one of the benefits of the 24 inch grid, more room to work side-to-side.  check the dripping collecting in the foil below the bird.  t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I do mine raised, direct.

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @_BR_ looks like you've gotten lots of good advice here, let us know how it turns out. Spatch chicken is great cook.

Where in SoCal are you?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @_BR_ - sorry just saw this - direct 400 grid on my stable (<1hour) MBGE is about 375 dome. I used to use a Thermoworks 8060 to get direct temps right. Now I trust the dome thermo and it will be as much as 50 different. 
    On indirect cooks the dome is higher than grid. (They will become same after a few hours) On direct cooks, the grid is hotter than dome, it is closer to burning lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!