Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Salt/Pepper?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I got a nice 16 pounder for a weekend cook and want to keep the rub simple - salt and pepper.  Any advice on what to use?  Sea salt, pink salt, course pepper,etc...?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• kosher and course ground pepper. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I ate at a local BBQ place on Wednesday and the bark was inedible due to the salt.  Did they oversalt? Or when you do the salt and pepper method are you not suppoed to eat the bark?
    oversalted. If you cant eat the bark, you are eating a roast

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I did salt and pepper on my last one and was outstanding, from now on salt and pepper for me.
    The bark is the best part. That's like candy to me.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited May 2013

Some like to inject them with beef boullion before cooking,helps keep them moist.

Here is how I do them.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=633044&catid=1

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

50/50 kosher salt and fresh pepper by weight, not volume. You don't want to totally cover it like with a rub, but lightly. There really isn't much surface ratio to meat ratio in a brisket. You can look for Aaron Franklin's Youtube video. Here's what mine looked like and it was the best one I've done so far.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    This is one I did last week, tried copy the salt and pepper from @Griffin's picture. And yes it was awesome!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Aaron uses a 16 mesh pepper and kosher salt (50-50. The pepper is difficult to find. I get mine shipped form the Spice Store. Not cheap but goes for a long time. You do not want to use regular ground pepper since it will over do it on pepper flavor. The company where Aaron Franklins gets his pepper is located in Austin but will not ship unless at least $150 order. If you live in the Austin area, they will sell you a one lb. bag if you go to them.  Cannot remember the name but just google spices in Austin.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I use kosher salt, course ground pepper, and onion powder

Turned out great
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Yup. Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. 

My wife gets mad that while I trim, I usually eat up most of the burnt ends. Cooks privilege...

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    kosher and course ground pepper. 

I am a disciple of the CenTex method. One to one ratio. Low and slow. Marvelous results.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GQuiz
    How the heck did it double the quote? I guess that means CenTex's words carry some weight. @Griffin is right, watch the Franklin video. Then it boils down to what wood persuasion. I used Hickory chunks last time. SWMBO is allergic to oak.

• GQuiz said:

I am a disciple of the CenTex method. One to one ratio. Low and slow. Marvelous results.
    That's not what I do but I'll take it. I use Bad Byron's. It's better than S&P for me. I've done both and it's not even close in my book. 

But the question was "what kind of salt and pepper". So I answered it.

Now I have 2 methods! Take that @travistrick :))

• GQuiz
    I can't imagine how that will come out if CT says it's not close. Time to order som Bad Byron's.

• GQuiz said:
    I can't imagine how that will come out if CT says it's not close. Time to order som Bad Byron's.
    They are great with S&P. I eat it all the time down here at all the good spots. I just can't get them as good as when I use BB.

• GQuiz
    SWMBO said she's had it with all the spices and rubs I've bought. But I'm going to have to test it and get Bad Byron's. I've also used Rudy's Rub to great success. When you played Santa Brisket for @CPARKTX, what did you use?

• GQuiz
    That was a grand gesture by the way. YouDaMan CT.

• GQuiz said:
    SWMBO said she's had it with all the spices and rubs I've bought. But I'm going to have to test it and get Bad Byron's. I've also used Rudy's Rub to great success. When you played Santa Brisket for @CPARKTX, what did you use?
    Bad Byrons. it's all I use on brisket anymore. You can just assume I use it until I post that i don't anymore. Great thing about it is it's super cheap compared to all the boutique-y rubs (who shall remain nameless because I love them too and I just bought a quart of 3 different ones so don't feel bad)

• GQuiz
    You're talking the Butt Rub, correct?

• GQuiz
    You're talking the Butt Rub, correct?

• yep. I didn't know they made anything else but I'm talking Bad Byron's Butt Rub

• GQuiz
    Cool. Amazon says it will be on my front porch Monday.

• Springram said:
    Aaron uses a 16 mesh pepper and kosher salt (50-50. The pepper is difficult to find. I get mine shipped form the Spice Store. Not cheap but goes for a long time. You do not want to use regular ground pepper since it will over do it on pepper flavor. The company where Aaron Franklins gets his pepper is located in Austin but will not ship unless at least $150 order. If you live in the Austin area, they will sell you a one lb. bag if you go to them.  Cannot remember the name but just google spices in Austin.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

Is it this one?

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/spices/pepptelxc.html

Gittin' there...
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I decided that I would get out of my comfort zone with this brisket and went to the local egg dealer who had some Bad Byron rub.  I am going to put the rub on tonight and start the brisket early tomorrow morning.  I'm sure it will be great.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Definitely kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.  Franklin style.  I have never over-salted with kosher salt, but certainly have with sea salt.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Springram said:

Springram
    Spring, Texas

Is it this one?

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/spices/pepptelxc.html

That looks close enough for government work to me. I would go for it.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini