Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WARNING

Comments

• Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    A while back I ate a lot of fatty parts whole pulling a pork shoulder. I couldn't stop because it tasted great and I hate to waste. Before I knew it the fat cap was gone (gross I know). Well lets just say I was we'll lubed around 1:00am. It was an awful feeling. Hope your feeling better. I will say I did get a bit of a laugh out of this post though. Not laughing at you laughing with you (I hope).
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Man up puss. You're a battle hardened veteran for Pete's sake. Drink a twelve pack of Shiner, stick your foot in your fil & #@ and grab a few Krystal's. Hair of the dog.

Seriously. I got food poisoning from subway 5 years ago and still flinch at the smell.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That really sucks Travis I hope your feeling better now that your "cleaned out".

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I won't eat pink ground unless I sous vide it first anymore. Just not worth it. that keeps me from eating most burgers because I hate gray hockey pucks. Still do them at home from time to time but ground beef is scary...even if you grind it yourself IMO. Unless you buy it in the tube, the grocery store grinds their own from the same whole chuck or sirloin that you buy to take home to grind. The stats are dire when it comes to contamination on ground beef in grocery stores and it all starts with the primal/sub primal that they (and in turn you) grind. Better at home for sure but if the outside is contaminated, the inside is contaminated when you grind it. And the outsides are all contaminated if you believe the numbers. It took me a good long while to come around to this but a few days like Travis had will open your eyes for sure.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • oh yeah- the tube is way worse........
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2013
    I am sorry Travis that you got so sick. One of my main goals in cooking on the egg is food safety. I never use a single cutting board. I have a veggie area for prep and a meat area. I do not mixed meats either. If I do two types I use two knives and two boards. I use gloves also plus I am always washing my hands. After a Saturday cook this weekend it took me three and half hours to clean everything up. No one got sick and the food was awesome. We had chicken, ribs, butt, bacon, sauage and deer. I know your family never meant to harm you and I am sure the thought went through you mind about the red meat. I'm  glad your okand feel better. Food Safety has become a big deal the last couple of years or so at least for me. I think some of the times I felt sick was my own fault and how I handled food.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I agree with Henapple, man up wuss.  I once got caught behind enemy lines and had to eat raw-rot infested food for years - only had a bit of gas.  But never complained once.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    The hazards of store-bought "ground beef".
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Man that sucks, had a few times, not by my hand. Army food lol **** can be bad. Glad I didnt know who gave it to me. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    IrishDevl said:

I agree with Henapple, man up wuss.  I once got caught behind enemy lines and had to eat raw-rot infested food for years - only had a bit of gas.  But never complained once.

Were you a POW and hid a watch up your ass, too?

Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    This quote is apropos:

"You're so full of ****, you're gonna float away."
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Were you a POW and hid a watch up your ass, too? image
    I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You poke a stick in your eye, you get a little upset tummy :ar! When are you going to get this damn tent out of my office!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Wow ain't that some ****! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate loss of flow control.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Sorry to hear. Hope you're feeling better.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2013

:@) 3:-O ~:>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That SUCKS.  Hope you're feeling better.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

"...if there was an oriface that I could expel from, I did and violently."

In our house we refer to that as the "Double Lindy".  It sometimes requires the toilet AND the tub.  Even worse is the Triple Lindy.  At that point, death seems like the better option.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    Village idiot said;
     "I didn't understand a word he said.  Is he from Canada?  Why can't you people speak English?"
    Actually Billy Connolly is from Scotland not Canada. I don't think a public forum like this is a good place to air your discriminatory viewpoints.
     Having said that I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with under cooked ground beef. I always cook it to temperature just to be safe. Hope everyone is feeling better now.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • I have done my time on the bathroom floor and nothing in my experience was more miserable. Speaking of grinding your own beef, I would like to give it a try. Does anyone have any basic pointers?
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    If I didn't grind the meat, I do 160.

If you DO grind the meat, what temp? And sorry for your digestive malady.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • meister5 said:
    Village idiot said;
     "I didn't understand a word he said.  Is he from Canada?  Why can't you people speak English?"
    Actually Billy Connolly is from Scotland not Canada. I don't think a public forum like this is a good place to air your discriminatory viewpoints.
     Having said that I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with under cooked ground beef. I always cook it to temperature just to be safe. Hope everyone is feeling better now.
    long running joke......VI was kidding around with one of our Canadian brethren. 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2013
    meister5 said:

I don't think a public forum like this is a good place to air your discriminatory viewpoints.

Political Correctness at it's peak.   :-q

By the way, Meister, that word is German for "master", which smacks of Slavery or Male dominance.  I am offended by your obscene choice of a user name.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Hibby said:

If I didn't grind the meat, I do 160.

If you DO grind the meat, what temp?
    And sorry for your digestive malady.

Me grinding meat is a hypothetical dream. I don't have a grinder but I'm sure I'd feel safer if I was in control of my meat source and processing.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    edited May 2013
    Smells like one of the trolls is back.

EDIT: or should it say, "like one of the trolls are back?"
  • I would like to buy the grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Could do ground beef and more.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    meister5 said:

I don't think a public forum like this is a good place to air your discriminatory viewpoints.

Political Correctness at it's peak.   :-q

By the way, Meister, that word is German for "master", which smacks of Slavery or Male dominance.  I am offended by your obscene choice of a user name.

I knew there was a reason I never liked Meister Brau!

Flint, Michigan
  • meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    Village idiot said;

I am sorry if my user name offends you, it was given to me by a close friend who's older brother was killed in a truck roll over. At the same time his younger brother became a paraplegic and I spent six months with their family at the Glenrose rehabilitation hospital in Edmonton. I have no idea why he calls me that but I wear it with pride, he is now like a younger brother to me. His older brother was one of my best friends and had it not been mothers day I would have been with them when the accident happened maybe dead. My friend life is too short to take shots at people you have never met. The world would be a better place if we would all just try to treat people, all people reguardlees of race or country with more respect. Really off topic and I am sorry for that. Now back to the BBQ!
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Travis,

Maybe you need to strap on some Depends next time you fire up the egg.  Weak stomachs have no place for this forum.   Sounds like you egged w/o the Mangrate
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • travisstrick
    @thetrim now that's a forum name I can stand behind.