Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bring on da Brisket!

Options

So what do you do when you come back from the drive-in movies at 1:30 am?  How about throwing on a brisket before bedtime?  I haven't done a brisket in I would say at least two years.  My last attempt was before I had an egg and it was a complete failure.  My results were a piece of jerky that tasted like ****.  Past demons sufficiently exorcised, let's look at today's cook.

We're sticking pretty close to the Travis method.  The only modification is we didn't go with Allegro Hot & Spicy marinade.  We're trying the Allegro Hickory Smoke Marinade.  Here's some pix:

Using for the rub 1 part Sea Salt, 1 part Black Pepper (I cheated with the pre-ground.  Our peppermill sux) and 1 part Garlic Powder. 

Here's the braising liquid.  The Allegro Hickory, a Labatt's Blue Light and a large onion cut up. 

Here's the 10# brisket on the egg smeared with mustard with the rub on it.  It was just before 3:00am.

Letting the DigiQ2 watch it for the night.

I'll post some pix in the morning.  Oh, we saw Epic and the new Star Trek movie.  Epic was weak, but Star Trek was OK. 

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I haven't tried this method but 328,000 views probably means that I should.. 

I was given deer to cook for a buddies birthday and used the allegro hickory and it turned out awesome. 

I decided to use my motar and pestle instead of my pepper grinder for the tri-tip tonight and I now know why someone invented spice mills, that took forever.. I definitely understand using pre-ground pepper. 

Looks like it dinner tonight should be awesome! 

Is Elaine going to fire up her egg for some sides? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Yabba dabba do!

I put my drip pan underneath the grate so when the fat starts rendering I'm not soaking the meat in it...not sure of that's right or not, but it also gives a good bark all the way around which will be tough if you are floating in 1/4 inch of hot fat...
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @spaightlabs this is the "Travis" method. It is a quasi braised method and the results are really good and it tends to cook much faster.
    Greensboro, NC
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2013
    Options
    So you leave the DFMT off completely? Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    Options
    Cant wait to see the results. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    I decided to use my motar and pestle instead of my pepper grinder for the tri-tip tonight and I now know why someone invented spice mills, that took forever.. I definitely understand using pre-ground pepper.  
    Here's what you need:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    @spaightlabs this is the "Travis" method. It is a quasi braised method and the results are really good and it tends to cook much faster.
    Gotcha - thanks. I defer to the pros from Dover.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Gotcha - thanks. I defer to the pros from Dover.
    Nice M*A*S*H movie reference.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

RESULTS:

Before going to bed after I posted here, I went out to check on the brisket.  The egg was at 321 even with the DigiQ2 so I put the daisy wheel on and went to bed.  I woke up seven hours into the cook and expecting the temp to be around 190 or so.  It was at 213 so I pulled it immediately and let it rest. 

Here's the plate shot.  Not much of a side because the fridge was bare.  Just a small salad which was really a pile of lettuce.

The brisket was moist and flavorful!  A vast improvement over my last attempt.  Slicing was difficult because the brisket wanted to fall apart.  Getting it off the fire a little earlier would help with that.  @travisstrick , I love your method!

Flint, Michigan
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

RESULTS:

Before going to bed after I posted here, I went out to check on the brisket.  The egg was at 321 even with the DigiQ2 so I put the daisy wheel on and went to bed.  I woke up seven hours into the cook and expecting the temp to be around 190 or so.  It was at 213 so I pulled it immediately and let it rest. 

Ahhh.  That is what I would have suspected.  Too much airflow with no top.  I leave mine with just the holes open.   Good save on your part.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

It's refreshing to see someone who hasn't heard of travis...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They have the "Travis for Mayor" signs up all over Toronto right now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    4Runner said:

RESULTS:

Ahhh.  That is what I would have suspected.  Too much airflow with no top.  I leave mine with just the holes open.   Good save on your part.  

There's only so much air that can move through the egg during a burn.  If the bottom vent is open just a bit then having the daisy wheel off the top will not affect the temp in any way.  In this case I had the DigiQ2 installed and I wasn't sure of anything except two things.  1.  I was running hotter than I set the Digiq2 for and 2.  I was very tired at almost 4:00 am.  I could have fiddled with the opening of the Digiq2's bottom vent to achieve control, but that would have taxed my groggy brain so I opted for the daisy wheel and dragged my butt to bed.

This analogy has been used countless times, but airflow through the egg is like water through a firehose.  You can clamp down the water pressure at the spigot and the nozzle wide open to achieve the desired water flow.  You can have the spigot wide open and control the flow through the nozzle to achieve the same flow.  You can also achieve the desired flow through partially closing the spigot AND the nozzle.  All three methods work.  You use what's comfortable for you.   

Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    It's refreshing to see someone who hasn't heard of travis...
    I wish I hadn't
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX