Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1" Rib-eyes, Thick Enough for Reverse Sear?

I picked up a couple of steaks on sale but they're thinner than I'd like; couldn't pass up the price :)

They're 1" thick, is this enough for a reverse sear or should I do them direct?  If direct, what temp?  Thanks!

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I would cook them direct. Good hot fire and +/- 3 minutes a side depending on where the grill grate is relative to the lump and how done you want it. Just do not get distracted. Practice makes perfect, as always.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If it's not too late hot tub them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    If it's not too late hot tub them
    What is that?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Put them in a Ziploc bag or vacuum seal and put them in a pot of water at 100* to 120* for roughly 40 minutes per inch of thickness and then do a hot sear. Gives you a red/pink middle on a thin steak

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Well, have experimented with "hot tubbing" or Sous Vide as others call it.  The basic idea is to seal the food in vac-seal, baggies, etc. and immerse in hot water, with the water temp set for the desired "doneness" temp of the food.  The advantage is that the food hast a set doneness or "target" temp, and will not over cook....Then the food can be seared, etc. for the desired texture / flavors. 

As much as I am an old diehard with Q and grillin, this made things easier, time not so critical.   desired done temp of a ribeye might be be 120F, and the water will not overcook..iff the water is set to 120.   Just sayin, am having fun and ease with the method, and enjoying...
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    OMG,forgot the most important, probably the wine.  The food immersion temp ig generally less then the Done temp, allowing for reverse searing at the end...sorry..
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)