Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Flat' Brisket

Looking for some guidance on a 6.5lb flat I'm doing tomorrow. The guidance I am seeing here seems to relate to a packer. I haven't found a store selling packers, yet. I've had it in a beer/chipotle marinade since 10pm last night. I'm intending using indirect and around 200/225. What do you wonderful and expert Egg'ers suggest I do to ensure success? Thank you!
Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I would do it Travis's old way. I think that approach is the best for a flat.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    You can go "traditional" and that's a crap-shoot but if you nail it then you won't forget or you can go with the "Travis method" for a much higher rate of success. Based on years of brisket flat adventures- if this is your first time out of the gate then search "Travis method" or "How I do it" here or with google and "big green egg" in the search function to get the process. Regardless, the enjoyment is with the cook-results are a bonus!  This from one who has more misses than hits with the flats but always comes back for more!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Thanks for posting the link cen.  

We should have a flat throwdown someday so we can narrow down what the best method would be for one.  I actually think butcher paper would come in handy for a flat.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Really appreciate the input, thank you!! Will let you know how it goes.
    Bronxville, New York. XLBGE, MBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @cazzy-YMMV- but in my world if you want to "cheat" for a "flat victory"  then you have to go with the braise or equivalent. But It's been a while (years) since I have gone that route. I did hit the "holy grail" recently (if two years ago is recent (May '11)) with the flat cook and am too foolish to think I can't do it again-that's the fun with the brisket-anythimg else is a piece of cake!  For the record, the "failures" are still quite tasty...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I get flat that are about that size and do them about once a month. I do them at 265-280ish and they turn out pretty well most times. I have never tried the braise method since I am pretty happy with the results I get.