Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Questions

I am very interested in purchasing one of these immersion calculators and have read lots here but am wondering if anyone has experience in the differences b/w the Polyscience chef and creative series models.  I've read that the creative is adequate but I'd hate to buy it and at some point wish I had the chef.  My last toggle with this scenario resulted in purchasing an XLBGE vs the L and I am soooo happy that I did- not saying that a large or medium aren't in the future as well but I love having the xl as my lone egg.  Back to the point though- which to buy.  Also, has anyone purchased on ebay?  I'm not afraid of the process but do I need the carrying case or any of the books that they throw in?  I'm quite sure that I'd buy several sous vide cookbooks anyway so I don't know if the included material is even necessary.  Nola?
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I have the chef series unit.  The main difference is the pump.  It is WAY too powerful on the chef series (and I use a big cambro tank); the creative series is more than sufficient...  Do yourself a favor and get two creative series so that way you can cook proteins and veggies all at once.

• Sadly, Nola does not play here anymore (at least for now). I can say that just like your XLBGE, you'll never want less Sous Vide. The PS is widely considered the best out there but they are both very good.

Save your money on SV cookbooks. You do everything the same way so once you learn, it's really simple. Buy Modernist Cuisine at home and you'll ave more fun with SV than you could ever imagine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hoofaloos
    hoofaloos Posts: 242
    Thanks guys.  The Modernist Cuisine is included in the creative series kit.  Also, what do you guys use to vac seal.  I've seen some of nola's posts and it looks like a regular foodsaver.  any thoughts?  i'm hoping to not have to drop another grand on a vacmaster or something of that nature.
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have the Creative series ( made in China) and I use foodsaver bags and also baggies.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Regular food saver and ziplock bags from time to time.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I use a food saver, LC, and Thermapen works just fine.
    I looked into the machine and thought It was pretty pricy.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    Sadly, Nola does not play here anymore (at least for now). I can say that just like your XLBGE, you'll never want less Sous Vide. The PS is widely considered the best out there but they are both very good.

Save your money on SV cookbooks. You do everything the same way so once you learn, it's really simple. Buy Modernist Cuisine at home and you'll ave more fun with SV than you could ever imagine. 
    What happened to NOLA?  I know I haven't seen him on here for a while.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    paqman said:
    I have the chef series unit.  The main difference is the pump.  It is WAY too powerful on the chef series (and I use a big cambro tank); the creative series is more than sufficient...  Do yourself a favor and get two creative series so that way you can cook proteins and veggies all at once.
    Kind of wish I had done that. It does create a problem making a full meal. No way I could talk her into another pro.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I started with hot tap water in a cooler, then moved to a DIY crockpot version and then found a "used immersion circulator" on ebay that works perfectly. (search "immersion circulator", not "sous vide" -or price goes up!) I paid $250, and would not recommend anyone pay more than that unless you are a chef/use daily. Let's be real- it's a "fancyfied" device that heats water . Highly recommend you just use cooler technique (for beef/fish- not chicken) for a while or buy a used immersion device from ebay - I see a "Braun Thermomix" for $199, looks just fine. Mine has a hi/low switch on pump, so above stated concerns not an issue. Not trying to bash those who have the beautiful polysci unit, I'm sure it's great too, it's just too pricey for what it does in my opinion.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Sadly, Nola does not play here anymore (at least for now). I can say that just like your XLBGE, you'll never want less Sous Vide. The PS is widely considered the best out there but they are both very good.

What happened to NOLA?  I know I haven't seen him on here for a while.
    No clue. Guess he just got tired of @chrisnjenn :)). maybe he'll come back now that he has been exposed.............(see the rub exchange thread if you haven't already. hilarious)