Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you worry about too much BBQ ?

Since getting the Egg some few weeks ago, I find we are cooking on it rather often With all that you read about the health risks of BBQ, do you wonder how much is too much ?

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Nope! I've got plenty of other things to worry about. Everything in moderation (cooking, eating, drinking, exercise, work, play, etc).

Aside from that there are many things I can do with the Egg aside from BBQ.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You can cook near anything on the egg, full meals,both healthy and some unhealthy.  Can't label the cooking device "a health risk" - it just depends on what you are cooking!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Please don't get banned by suggesting one would get tired of BBQ.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    No, IMHO eating processed foods and a sedentary lifestyle will kill you long before grilled foods will. You can cook healthy with some effort. We love grilled veggies and fruit and meat of all kinds. Just go easy on the carbs and check out everything you can cook on the BGE. And have fun!
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I don't cook pork butts every weekend, there are plenty of healthy things. I don't worry a bit about it!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I think what you are talking about is the long high heat sears creating carcinogens. We don't do either.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    You gotta die from something. I'm gonna die from this, maybe, but I'll die happy.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The key is cook it don't incinerate it - watch out for the burnt outside - not barked, burnt. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Too much BBQ? 7 years ago I had 2 heart attacks, and was not in the best of health. I have been doing competition BBQ for 2 1/2 years now, and feel great. Doc says all is good. I feel like I can take on the world, well at least a small part of it.  Now for the big picture, there really isn't anything you can't cook on your egg. I cook on 1 or more of my eggs everynight. In fact that thing in the kitchen(stove) is a great place for doing the prep-work on.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm with LS and assuming your talking about carcinogens? How just meat cholesterol and stuff??

My wife worries about carcinogens, but read up on it and its easy to avoid, but it takes a whole lot more than seared steak or burnt burger to give you cancer. Read up on that too. About mis sense mutations, tumor markers and how many hits you need to change a cell to malignant trouble.

As for as eating unhealthy, I cooked everything in bacon yesterday, but the majority of meals can't get much healthier. Lightly seasoned chicken breast, asparagus and zucchini?? Doesn't get much better than that.

Overall, my philosophy is your gonna die from something with prolly an average age of 75, try to be smart, but I enjoy my food and currently I'm 6' 3" 190 so no worries there.

XLBGE 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    One word answer.  No.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited May 2013
    After getting the Egg, our family was eating a lot more meat, and often in larger quantities. We've gotten a lot better w. portion control.

BBQ, if done right, is really pretty safe. The meat is not charred. Much of the fat has rendered. The collagen has converted to gel, which some people claim is a big plus to protein balance in the diet. The herbs and spices used in the rubs often have strong anti-carcinogenic properties. But, lots of calories, particularly if the meat gets drowned in a sweet sauce.

FWIW, the same carcinogens that end up on meats bathed in the smoke from dripping fat occur in many baked goods that are brown and crispy. The is a popular ginger snap made in Europe that is more hazardous than a poorly grilled burger.
  • CajunEggHead
    CajunEggHead Posts: 189
    If you are worrying about that Egg making you sick please by all means send it to me, I'll die from a BBQ overdose.........
    :-SS

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    I have no choice. I live in Texas, we have to eat BBQ, its the law.  If you don't...the State BBQ police (SBBQP) will come after you.
  • Streetglider
    Streetglider Posts: 104
    To quote my boss, "everything in moderation, including moderation".

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited May 2013
    I don't worry at all. We have to eat and I have to cook our meals since my wife has early onset Alz and can't cook anymore. If I try to cook in the kitchen she wants to get involved, tries to help and just gets upset/frustrated. Cooking on the egg is my territory and things go smoothly... well relatively smooth. 
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    egzilla said:

I have no choice. I live in Texas, we have to eat BBQ, its the law.  If you don't...the State BBQ police (SBBQP) will come after you.

I have a colleague who is vegetarian except for the occasional BBQ'd brisket or ribs that he can't resist so he makes an exception from time to time. He got off with just a warning.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Wait, too much BBQ is a thing? Why would that ever be a thing? If anything, I don't BBQ enough! 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    lewisj82 said:

Wait, too much BBQ is a thing? Why would that ever be a thing? If anything, I don't BBQ enough! 

Good first post. Welcome!
    Flint, Michigan
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184

Good first post. Welcome!
    Thanks! Been reading since I upgraded to a BGE in March, getting tips here and there. This place is a great spot for information!

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    BBQ is a way to cook and when done right maximizes the ability to cook whole foods.  Which is the most natural and healthiest way to cook.  If I had my druthers I would cook on it three times a day with food I raise and grow on my own.  Add to that using only natural wood lump and it doesn't get any better.  Taste good and good for you.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Everything in moderation... Including moderation.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Humans have been eating dead meat over fire for centuries. I think we'll be okay...
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

I honestly think it is a much more healthy choice overall to prepare fresh food at home on the Egg than either eating (a) processed foods or (b) restaurant foods where for example sodium is used far and away more than what we use at home and the calorie count is much higher also.  Of course there are choices to be made on the Egg too.  While we do some shoulders and brisket, we also grill/smoke a TON of other lean options including lots of chicken, all types of seafood, lean pizzas with chicken and/orveggies and generally the leanest cuts of steak when we do steak.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    I don't BBQ enough. Reason to me is BBQ is not a food, it is a lifestyle, one focused on good quality tasty food, friends, family, memories, the occasional adult beverage for relaxation, and jut an overall laid back lifestyle. I need more of all that :)

In terms of carcinogens, fat, and red meat, eh, I think candy is worse for ya than some pulled pork on a Friday night.

Love the question!