Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Primal/Paleo Pizza

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

I've been craving pizza something fierce. The Doc said it was ok if I ate almond flour, so I figured there has to be a recipe for pizza using almond flour online somewhere. Found a bunch, but one kept appearing over and over, so I though I would give it a try.

2 cups Almond Meal/Flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons Olive Oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 176° C (350° F). Combine all the ingredients and mix together. If the dough seems too wet, you can add a little more cheese or almond flour.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put the dough in the center. Top with a second sheet of parchment paper and roll out to your preferred thickness. {This dough is super sticky, so don’t forget the parchment paper!} Can be rolled out super thin to make a huge pizza.

Bake the crust for 12-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Then add desired toppings and bake another 15 minutes or however you like it.

I started off with some fresh eggs that one of Mrs. G's co-workers gave her. This guy apparently gets over a dozen eggs a week from his chickens. Can't beat fresh eggs.

Added them to the dry ingredients

Mixed them together with my hands

I let it sit for about 10 minutes (1 cigarette) and then rolled it out thinly (this is half the dough)

Next it was onto the Egg at 350. I figured I would let it cook a few minutes and then remove the parchment paper and let it go the rest of the 15 minutes. That's when it all fell apart...literally. I figured screw it...it won't be pretty, but waste not, want not. Topped the pieces of dough and put them back on the egg.

For the second half of the dough, I left it on the parchment paper the whole time. I may not be the brightest light bulb, but I wasn't going to make that mistake again. I can't see how cooking in an oven could produce different results, but after cooking the pizza for 15 mintues at 350, the top was nowhere near done. So my cousin and I shot some more pool and watched some basketball. Still not done. We finally gave up on it and tossed it under the broiler to finish off.

Looks pretty tasty, huh? Mine had the pepperoni and bacon on it.

My vegetarian, pescatarian cousin had 'shrooms and diced jalapenos on his.

You know the saying "you can't judge a book by its cover"? Yeah...totally applies here. If all you care about in your pizza is the sauce, the melted cheese and the toppings, then maybe you could tolerate this "pizza". But if you love dough and fully appreciate the flavors and textures, skip this recipe. The texture was off. I guess I would describe it as mealy. Wasn't really crispy or bread like at all. Not very firm. The taste was ok, but I just couldn't really eat it. Maybe I'll continue to experiment, but more likely I'll just take a cheat day and make good pizza. Live and ya learn, I s'pose.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Isn't cheese a paleo no no?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Looks interesting, Stop by Jimmys and try the gluten free dough next time you are down here. And then we will go get a few cocktails.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Hey, with those toppings, ANYTHING will taste good !!  Looks interesting!!  AND GOOD !!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It looks good from here!  I haven't tried anything like this before. 

You could always just try a whole wheat pizza crust.  Even if you count it as a cheat...perhaps less of cheat :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    I'm a pizza addict and have done Paleo and whole life. Trust me there is no Paleo substitute. Trying to find one will just make you crave the real stuff more amd get slightly depressed. Best thing to do is to wait until you earn a cheat day. When you do, try to use portion control (order a thin crust or something) because you will want to eat massive quantities which if you have been going strict Paleo for a while it will make you sick.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • I wish I had that pizza in front of me right now!
    Gittin' there...
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Dumb question would that be gluten free I make pizzas for the neighbors and one of the wife's can't eat it because it is not gluten free or what ever I would try it so she could eat some. 
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I had my first paleo cheat this week after a month and a bit. I had a doughnut boy did I feel like crap! I was really hoping you where going to come up with a great pizza Griffin... Dang. We tried an almond flour pie crust this week that was a mealy flop as well. Have you experimented with coconut flour at all?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907

Are you using the almond flour because you want a gluten free pizza?  If so my wife has a very good recipe for a gluten free crust.  We are going to be making calzones tomorrow for mothers day and I will have her put the recipe for the dough up here.  If you want a quick fix Bob's Red Mill makes an ok pizza.  Or there is a brand out there called Gluten free Mama that good.  I am jelious of those that can just go to the store and get a GF crust. 

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Firemanyz said:

Are you using the almond flour because you want a gluten free pizza?  If so my wife has a very good recipe for a gluten free crust.  We are going to be making calzones tomorrow for mothers day and I will have her put the recipe for the dough up here.  If you want a quick fix Bob's Red Mill makes an ok pizza.  Or there is a brand out there called Gluten free Mama that good.  I am jelious of those that can just go to the store and get a GF crust. 

I will be watching for this. My wife and two daughters a gotten free and have been looking for a good crust. Last year we visited St. Louis and found PW's Pizza which had a great gf crust the kids loved. We ended up eating there 3 time in 4 days. Would like to make something close at home.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Almond flour is carb free. I have been baking with it for a couple of years, had the same results. The best no carb crust I can find is a ground beef and sausage crust. Roll out about 1 lb of hamburger/sausage out into thin layer. Bake about 10 mins at 375. Pour off the grease and cover with toppings. Bake until the cheese melts. Works great on the BGE.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    egger ave said:

Almond flour is carb free. I have been baking with it for a couple of years, had the same results. The best no carb crust I can find is a ground beef and sausage crust. Roll out about 1 lb of hamburger/sausage out into thin layer. Bake about 10 mins at 375. Pour off the grease and cover with toppings. Bake until the cheese melts. Works great on the BGE.

I love this!!! Can't have dough.... Can't have carbs....

MAKE MEAT DOUGH!!!!!

BRILLIIANT!'n

XLBGE 
  • Griffin

@rtt121 I guess I should have said paleo crust. There are "dairy free" cheeses. I haven't tried them as I'm doing Primal and can have cheese.

@TUTTLE871 I still need to look into that. I'm not doing any type of flour, so not sure if it will work. Down for some drinks, though.

@SmokeyPitt thanks for the idea, but I'm not doing wheat either.

@NEWB_IN_NOLA - I might just give up the idea and save pizza for cheat days.

@Justacookin - I'm not real sure. I haven't really looked into what gluten is. It might be and maybe somebody can answer that. I've pretty much removed flour and wheat from my diet, so I was trying to find a recipe that used almond flour (I can eat nuts) instead.

@double - haven't gotten into coconut flour yet. Have you tried tapioca starch or arrowroot?

@Firemanyz - my doc doesn't want me eating flour (he's got me on a Primal diet), so I thought I would try this recipe out. Looking forward to seeing if I can try yours out.

@egger_ave - I might try that. I remember you mentioning it before. Take pics next time you do it. WOuld love to see how it looks. So can you pick it up like a piece of pizza?

Rowlett, Texas

• egger ave
    yes you can cut it into slices. Eating carb free is allowing me to control my Diabetes. No grains or grain flowers in the pantry or on the grill. I have tried coconut flour and cauliflower crusts. Like the meat crust the best of all. SWMBO approves as well.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I have not I guess that arrowroot is allowed on primal but not considered paleo. I like the idea of just saving a proper pizza for a cheat day unless there is something out there we have yet to find.
    Lynnwood WA
  • egger ave
    from Wikipedia "The lack of gluten in arrowroot flour makes it useful as a replacement for wheat flour in baking. Like other pure starches, however, arrowroot is almost pure carbohydrates and devoid of protein, thus it does not provide a complete substitute for wheat flour."

Pure carbs, can't eat it on a low carb diet.

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin
    Thanks for that @egger_ave. Somebody suggested it to me, but I haven't looked into it nor looked for it at a store. Won't be using it now.

Rowlett, Texas

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I wonder what it would be like if you added yeast?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• egger ave
    Almond flour doesn't rise like wheat flour. You can add yeast,baking soda or baking powder. It's trial and error to get the amount correct.I use a blend of almond and coconut flour when I bake.

Albert Einstein
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I love this!!! Can't have dough.... Can't have carbs.... MAKE MEAT DOUGH!!!!! BRILLIIANT!'n
    Been doing something like this for years. As a diabetic, it is hard not to cheat but when you cheat with pizza, it is worse. It is called the "pizza effect"....which means it will significantly raise your blood sugar and due to the fat content from the cheese, you stay high for a much longer time. I have found that if I am really craving a pizza, I just make or order one and just scrape off the toppings and eat the toppings. I know, I know, the crust is the best part, but ......  Anyway, the beef and sausage crust method is pretty dang good. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • egger ave
    Springram said:
    I love this!!! Can't have dough.... Can't have carbs.... MAKE MEAT DOUGH!!!!! BRILLIIANT!'n
    Been doing something like this for years. As a diabetic, it is hard not to cheat but when you cheat with pizza, it is worse. It is called the "pizza effect"....which means it will significantly raise your blood sugar and due to the fat content from the cheese, you stay high for a much longer time. I have found that if I am really craving a pizza, I just make or order one and just scrape off the toppings and eat the toppings. I know, I know, the crust is the best part, but ......  Anyway, the beef and sausage crust method is pretty dang good. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    Thats the only way I eat pizza with a crust made from grains these days. I think they add sugar to the tomato sauce as well.

Albert Einstein
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I read that chickpea flour can make good paleo pasta, I wonder if there is a way to make pizza crust out of it?
  • egger ave
    I read that chickpea flour can make good paleo pasta, I wonder if there is a way to make pizza crust out of it?
    Check this out,it's worth trying.

Albert Einstein
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You sir are out of the throwdown
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    henapple said:
    You sir are out of the throwdown

Which one of us? Ah screw it. I remember when this was a much friendlier place. I'm outa here. Or is it outta? Ouutta? I'm leaving. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    Chcikpeas are legumes and thus not paleo.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    There are several members that should be excluded. Yourself, VI, cali, foghorn, necessary, etc... Unfair.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Chcikpeas are legumes and thus not paleo.
    Darn, you're right. More carbs in there than I thought. 
  • smokinsooner
    smokinsooner Posts: 161

this may be too late of a post to enter the "throwdown"...but I have posted this before. I found this recipe randomly one day... and believe me when I tell you, although Paleo...it's dang tasty. it won't cut the craving for pizza dough.....but knowing Griffin... and his love for bacon, it might ease the pain a bit.

http://freerange-human.com/recipes/ketogenic-pizza/

(I have found by smoking your bacon weave slowly...275ish, you get a good crisp bacon crust and the weave tightens up to hold your sauce and toppings with no problems)

BOOMER!