Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And we're off!!

13»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Ok...love the ideal about the drip pan. Should I add water to it?

Sounds good Charlie...I'll put lump in both compartments.it definitely doesn't seem heavy duty.

This is the biggest curve ball, but I will overcome!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

No off-set smoke/cooker experience here but if you are aiming for roasting temps then I would essentially set them up as an indirect weber (bad word here:)) type cook as Dyal_SC mentioned.  I just don't see the off-set getting to the temps you need.  Now, if you are hot smoking then that's a different game.  FWIW- 

Hopefully more experienced off-set cookers will be along.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    @cazzy-I would go with water just to get moisture in the chambers but I'm just recalling my ol weber days so take this with a heavy dose of salt. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Keep in mind that the meat that is closest to the offset side may get done faster do to the extra heat. looks like a great cook and wonderful view although I am curious if someone took the drain plug out of the lake?
  • cazzy
    setdahook said:

Keep in mind that the meat that is closest to the offset side may get done faster do to the extra heat. looks like a great cook and wonderful view although I am curious if someone took the drain plug out of the lake?

Thanks for the tip! I will rotate em.

The drought combined with eco nuts who've decided they need to let water out because we have enough.

None the less, I thoroughly enjoy being out here. Very tranquil and I've had a great breeze the entire time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    I can get up to 500 degrees in my Klose just by burning sticks in the side firebox. However, it's a thick walled 700 pound beast and it requires constant feeding of wood. For this one I love the suggestion of some additional coals in the cooking chamber. I'd use a water pan with some sliced onion in it. You probably need to rotate the meat around from the hot part of the grill to the cooler part. You may want to turn on the gas grill just to reduce heat loss on that side of the charcoal cooking chamber and even up the cooking temps across chamber.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    I'm very curious to know how this grill works out. I'm going to be cooking on one of these for a week in August while I'm on vacation.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Foghorn said:

I can get up to 500 degrees in my Klose just by burning sticks in the side firebox. However, it's a thick walled 700 pound beast and it requires constant feeding of wood. For this one I love the suggestion of some additional coals in the cooking chamber. I'd use a water pan with some sliced onion in it. You probably need to rotate the meat around from the hot part of the grill to the cooler part. You may want to turn on the gas grill just to reduce heat loss on that side of the charcoal cooking chamber and even up the cooking temps across chamber.

Didn't think about that, I'll fire up the gas side. I'll probably take out some lump that I have in the main box. I probably put in a lil too much.
  • cazzy
    lousubcap said:

@cazzy-I would go with water just to get moisture in the chambers but I'm just recalling my ol weber days so take this with a heavy dose of salt. 

Thanks Cap, definitely adding water!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Looks like a trip to H. E. B. was all it took...lol!!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Good suggestion about rotating the meat ---  we are spoiled by internal temperatures of our Eggs!  Once the cooking chamber gets hot, and the meat starts cooking, let "that" fire burn out, and just maintain temperature by the fire in the firebox/flue.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Looks like a blast.  Please keep us posted on the progress.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • cazzy
    I'm in the weeds, but its l coming together. Butt and brisket off the grill. 5lbs sausage done. 3 chickens done. All coming together! The non egg was challenging but I did the best I can do.
  • cazzy
    I missed the temp a lil on some chicken, not bad...but that's expected with juggling 12 things at once.
  • lousubcap
    @cazzy-no worries with the temperature-I'm sure it will be the best food the guests have consumed it quite a while.  Time to throttle back and enjoy the rest of the day.  That is one championship cook-a-thon. Congrats on pulling it all together-now just wander around with your eau de' smoke and get them anticipating what's to come. 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Dude that's incredible! I would love to see a time lapse video of the whole process.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    just keep it up it will be worth every bite.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Sounds like you had one hell of a night Caz.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cazzy
    Yeah, all is done and after I pulled the last thing off the egg, my adrenaline left and my feet started feeling like death. Lol

During the ceremony, I decided to take 5 minutes to personally capture some moments for my brother-in-law and his bride.

I have a bunch of pics to load, the ones I could get of course! I'll upload them tonight when I actually have Internet. I've been tethering from my phone and it's bloody slow.

Overall, everything went over well. I expected more from the brisket, but it wasn't bad, just not up to my standards. The chicken was unreal and the pulled pork was the bomb.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I'm surprised your still sober enough to post. Good job Caz

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    And I'm sure your "not up to my standards" brisket was probably the best brisket everyone else at the party has had.  Nice job pulling it all together Cazzy.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • shtgunal3 said:
    I'm surprised your still sober enough to post. Good job Caz

i know i wouldn't be but caz has the advantage of not drinking booze.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    You da Man Cazzy!
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Sounds like you had one helluva busy night/day as pitmaster/smokey photographer! Well done Cazzy! =D>
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cazzy
    edited May 2013
    I didn't have time to get close up pron shots because I was too busy.  That's because I decided it was easier to carve everything myself instead of trying to teach someone the way I wanted it done.  lol I tried to get my uncle to pull the pork, then just did it myself.  Which was good, because I didn't pull the money muscle as it wasn't pull worthy.

The scenery looked pretty cool at 6am, so I took my camera to the dock.

Brisket & Butt

Sorry, didn't get any pictures of the birds, but here is the spread.

These are a few shots from when I was wearing my "i'm pretending to be a photographer hat"   :P

In the end, it was a fun day!  For using a pit I had no experience with, I thought I did a kick butt job with the chicken!  The thermapen is a powerful tool!  Pork butt was amazing and the chicken was pouring juice.  One thing about feeding a big crowd is they never start service when they want you to, so some of my chicken wasn't eaten when I wanted it to.

It's been a fun thread and I feel like yall were right here with me the entire time.  I get to relax tonight, then tomorrow I'm cooking 15 New York Strips for my family!   :D
  • lousubcap
    @cazzy-One amazing production. And here I was impressed with the fantastic wing recipe.  I don't know how you pulled it off but you did, everyone enjoyed the banquet (eating the finest food they have had in ages) and you get to dial it down to a mere 15 steaks Sunday.  More happy campers!  Congrats on a memorable journey!  Thanks for allowing us along for the ride!
  • chris123stock
    chris123stock Posts: 664
    BRAVO Amazing job.

=D> ^:)^