Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back in Business - Kitchen Renovation Complete

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited May 2013 in Off Topic
For the last six weeks I've been away from my Eggs because my Kitchen was under renovation. It was a total gut & replace job and I didn't bother trying to keep the Kitchen in operation during this process. That turned out to be a good decision, because work really picked up about 3 weeks ago and I have had many 12-16 hour workdays. Where I work from home I was able to be there to answer questions and make decisions for the workers, but I wouldn't have had time to use the Egg. As of last Friday the work is substantially complete and I moved back into the Kitchen Saturday and Sunday. My first new cook on the Egg will be this Saturday. Why not sooner? Well I've been involved in another Egg related project which was adding lighting to my grill gazebo. I've been working on this in what little free time I've had. The lights arrived yesterday and I will have that done today.

This has been a fun year for me as an architect, first came designing my Grill Gazebo last September for my then new Egg, and now I got to redesign my Kitchen. This has been 27 years coming and is long overdue. Onto the pictures:

Between the new cabinet boxes on the left and 40 boxes of stuff from my original Kitchen, my Living Room was filled to the brim.

The top picture shows what the Kitchen looked like after 15 minutes of work the first day and then at the end of the day.

BEFORE AND AFTER
BEFORE: The original Kitchen "featured" a horrible color scheme with yellow and orange linoleum flooring, dark wood cabinets, greenish-yellow formica countertops and a dark thin brick backsplash. I have been putting blinders on and pretending I didn't see these colors every time I walked into the Kitchen.

AFTER: New cherry cabinets with granite counter top, new 12x12 tile floor with matching 6x6 border and 2x2 tile back splash, new paint scheme, and new LED under counter lighting.

BEFORE: Here is another before picture. While this was going on I was working to add lighting to my grill gazebo, which can be seen if you look carefully on the left side of the Kitchen door opening.

AFTER: After years of the other color scheme the new one is such a pleasure to view. People have commented it is like going into someone else's house.

MORE AFTER SHOTS:
The new granite counter top came with a "free" sink, which is surprisingly high quality. I also got a new electric cooktop which I will talk more about later. I also got some new black Kitchen electrics to go with the new color scheme. I really love the new LED under counter lighting.

I am looking forward to trying out the new electric cooktop. It has a flat cooking surface with no exposed knobs or controls. The 9" burner on the left is called a turbo boil burner. It has 3 times the wattage of the the other 9" burner. It is said to bring a large pot of water to a boil in 2-3 minutes.

One of the smallest things is one of my favorite features. I added extra outlets throughout the Kitchen and used GGFCI outlets that featured a 1/4" tall LED nightlight in the center of the outlet between the two plugs. The night lights are on light sensors and  come on when the lighting is low. I had seen other outlets where one of the plugs was replaced with a built in nightlight, but this night light is in addition to the two outlets. They provide enough light for you to find your way around the Kitchen at night.

The view entering the Kitchen from the Dining Room. The L-Shaped counter on the left existed before. The straight counter on the right wall is new and will serve as my baking area. The red trash can matches the color of the trim (when it is not over exposed as it is in this picture).

The new cabinets of my baking area hold the microwave and my stand mixer. All of my baking ingredents are housed in the cabinets right there. This as opposed to my going to two different closets and a 2 wall cabinets up until now.

All of my spices now have a well organized home. There are some baking goods on the top shelf. There are 4 outlets here and more LED under counter lighting.

My flour buckets and dough doubler pails are in one of the base cabinets. 

A trip to the Container Store provided me with some needed organizational tools. I got rubberized drawer liners, spring loaded drawer dividers, and the spice racks seen several pictures ago
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments