Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back in Business - Kitchen Renovation Complete

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited May 2013 in Off Topic
For the last six weeks I've been away from my Eggs because my Kitchen was under renovation. It was a total gut & replace job and I didn't bother trying to keep the Kitchen in operation during this process. That turned out to be a good decision, because work really picked up about 3 weeks ago and I have had many 12-16 hour workdays. Where I work from home I was able to be there to answer questions and make decisions for the workers, but I wouldn't have had time to use the Egg. As of last Friday the work is substantially complete and I moved back into the Kitchen Saturday and Sunday. My first new cook on the Egg will be this Saturday. Why not sooner? Well I've been involved in another Egg related project which was adding lighting to my grill gazebo. I've been working on this in what little free time I've had. The lights arrived yesterday and I will have that done today.

This has been a fun year for me as an architect, first came designing my Grill Gazebo last September for my then new Egg, and now I got to redesign my Kitchen. This has been 27 years coming and is long overdue. Onto the pictures:

Between the new cabinet boxes on the left and 40 boxes of stuff from my original Kitchen, my Living Room was filled to the brim.

The top picture shows what the Kitchen looked like after 15 minutes of work the first day and then at the end of the day.

BEFORE AND AFTER
BEFORE: The original Kitchen "featured" a horrible color scheme with yellow and orange linoleum flooring, dark wood cabinets, greenish-yellow formica countertops and a dark thin brick backsplash. I have been putting blinders on and pretending I didn't see these colors every time I walked into the Kitchen.

AFTER: New cherry cabinets with granite counter top, new 12x12 tile floor with matching 6x6 border and 2x2 tile back splash, new paint scheme, and new LED under counter lighting.

BEFORE: Here is another before picture. While this was going on I was working to add lighting to my grill gazebo, which can be seen if you look carefully on the left side of the Kitchen door opening.

AFTER: After years of the other color scheme the new one is such a pleasure to view. People have commented it is like going into someone else's house.

MORE AFTER SHOTS:
The new granite counter top came with a "free" sink, which is surprisingly high quality. I also got a new electric cooktop which I will talk more about later. I also got some new black Kitchen electrics to go with the new color scheme. I really love the new LED under counter lighting.

I am looking forward to trying out the new electric cooktop. It has a flat cooking surface with no exposed knobs or controls. The 9" burner on the left is called a turbo boil burner. It has 3 times the wattage of the the other 9" burner. It is said to bring a large pot of water to a boil in 2-3 minutes.

One of the smallest things is one of my favorite features. I added extra outlets throughout the Kitchen and used GGFCI outlets that featured a 1/4" tall LED nightlight in the center of the outlet between the two plugs. The night lights are on light sensors and  come on when the lighting is low. I had seen other outlets where one of the plugs was replaced with a built in nightlight, but this night light is in addition to the two outlets. They provide enough light for you to find your way around the Kitchen at night.

The view entering the Kitchen from the Dining Room. The L-Shaped counter on the left existed before. The straight counter on the right wall is new and will serve as my baking area. The red trash can matches the color of the trim (when it is not over exposed as it is in this picture).

The new cabinets of my baking area hold the microwave and my stand mixer. All of my baking ingredents are housed in the cabinets right there. This as opposed to my going to two different closets and a 2 wall cabinets up until now.

All of my spices now have a well organized home. There are some baking goods on the top shelf. There are 4 outlets here and more LED under counter lighting.

My flour buckets and dough doubler pails are in one of the base cabinets. 

A trip to the Container Store provided me with some needed organizational tools. I got rubberized drawer liners, spring loaded drawer dividers, and the spice racks seen several pictures ago
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sweet.. Great to have you back.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    That was a serious project! Very nice looking. Congrats.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Looks fantastic!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Nice work !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    WOW, looks great Jim! I know you are glad to be back in your kitchen,
    and we are all glad to have you back posting again!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Jealous. Looks great. Now hit us with some wokked food already!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    That looks great, Jim.  Get to work and post your delicious results!
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Nice man!

XLBGE 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Niiiiice! Alright, come renovate my kitchen next!!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    You can see you've been missed by all the responses so far. Glad to have you back. The new kitchen looks great.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The new indoor prep area looks great! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very very very nicely done! I love kitchen pr0n! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very very very nicely done! I love kitchen pr0n! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Jim,

Very nice! I think your cooktop is induction. You will love it for the high speed but even better is the ability to hold low temps for sauces/hot tubbing

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks with everybody for their kind words! The cooktop is actually a radiant cooktop. It is a Kenmore Elite and is their high end radiant model just below their first induction cooktop. On the Kenmores is they mark the burners on the induction tops with an X symbol for some reason. I was thinking of getting the induction model, but I really didn't didn't feel like investing in new pans at this point in time. Once again thank you and I'm looking forward to getting back in the BGE business.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Man, if I could use the top shelves of my cupboards I would have so much more storage :-S

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Man, if I could use the top shelves of my cupboards I would have so much more storage :-S
    i put the booze on the top shelf
    :)) you would be outta luck
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Can you even use the second shelf?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice, very nice - look forward to your return to egging. Everything is so organized you will not be able to find anything!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Nice renovation! Something to be proud of.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    Options
    your lino looks nicer than my blue wall to wall indoor outdoor glued down rug
    :)) one of these decades....
    :D really looks nice
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Can you even use the second shelf?
    Isn't that why he got the Bernie? Once that pup's big enough, LS will be riding it around the kitchen as his "portable foot stool" so he can get to the ice cream in the freezer once the temps finally rise outside. He won't be able to just keep it on the back porch, even in Canada. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the those outlets with the night light are a great feature, put those in the bathroom remodel and slowly putting them in rooms other than the bedrooms, i hardly turn lights on at all now at night which helps me sleep better
    fukahwee maine

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Very nice! Glad to have you back.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    @jfm0830 That looks great!  It actually gave me an idea for something that I can do in my kitchen.    I have a small pantry in my kitchen that is pretty worthless.  The big pantry is in the hall that goes into the kitchen.  I would love to put an oven in the useless pantry.

The cabinets where you have your oven built in...whats the depth?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Beautiful.  Nicely done.  I'm doing something very similar:!
    Redoing everything but the cabinets (I like those).   Everything has been ordered, just waiting now... Tile floor, quartz countertops (which also came with a free "one bowl" stainless sink!), tile matching backsplash.  Funny, very similar colors on everything as yours too.  Now I know what mine is going to look like!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    Great job. Looks so much better. Clean and ergonomic.
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks again for looking and for the kind words.

r270ba : they are the same 24" depth as a normal base cabinet
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Kitchen looks great Jim! Many happy days ahead for you & the Mrs! My wife got her dream kitchen 3 years ago in a home expansion project and we're still loving it today. I showed her your pic of the LED outlets and now it looks like I'm adding them to my Honey-Do list. #-o
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA