Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked vs beer can: a different question

Options
Yes I prefer to cook spatchcocked over a beer can chicken, but I need to feed 10 for Mother's Day and one bird is not enough. I have a LBGE, can you get more than 1 spatchcocked on a single raised grid? It has been a while since I have done one. If not the beer can may be the way this weekend cause I know I can get 2 or 3 birds on it
LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I cooked 2 medium size birds raised grid on my large Saturday night but there is no way I could have got 3 of that size on there. One I place up and down and the other cross ways. Sorry I didn't take photos.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Here is a pic borrowed from Naked Whiz website. It has two and looks like it could probably fit a third on a large...
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2013
    Options
    You can fit two on a large, however for 10 people I would consider going vertical and do 3 birds.  Even though the whole "beer can" thing has been debunked somewhat, IMO there is still an advantage to going vertical for maximizing space on the egg.  

To be honest, I can't really tell a difference between spatchcock and vertical in the final product.  They both turn out really good!  If I am only cooking one chicken and nothing else...my go to method now is a vertical roaster on the small egg.  If I want to throw a pan of veggies under the chicken I go spatchcock on the large. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Turkey breast?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Looks like plenty of room for 1 spatchcock and 2 beer can chickens - and let us know what people like best.  Everybody wins.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

Foghorn said:
    Looks like plenty of room for 1 spatchcock and 2 beer can chickens - and let us know what people like best.  Everybody wins.
    CHICKEN FIGHT!!!!!! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I had this same problem and went to three beer cans -- not much of a downgrade and only another egger could tell the difference...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    would go with smaller 3,5 pound chickens on cans, the smaller chickens are better if your trying to put many in there, ive seen a pic with maybe 8 standing up in a large. your other option is to buy the full bone in breasts, cook them whole and cut them in half at the table. for some reason whole breasts cook better than the regular cut supermarket breasts, maybe the same reason a spatchcock cooks well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggxtractor
    Eggxtractor Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will ask my wife which way she would like. Knowing her it will be beer can so she can drink half of each beer out before I "violate" each bird cavity with a beer can :-j
    LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Options
    I just did three spatched birds, but on two levels, indirect, on the CG Adj rig.  Could have fit 4, the only thing I found was different finishing times due to the different heights.  All 3 turned out great, gotta say the egg does a great job.  Also should note that I covered the drip pan w/ foil and shaped the foil like the oval stone to deflect the direct heat.  I do think that one could do three on one level, but I was cooking 8 pounders.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will ask my wife which way she would like. Knowing her it will be beer can so she can drink half of each beer out before I "violate" each bird cavity with a beer can :-j
    You might as well let her drink all the beer since the beer doesn't do anything.  Drink all the beer and use water if you really want some fluid in the can.
    The Naked Whiz