Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Brazilian cook!

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
This cook was inspired by @Federalist226 and his Brazilian Churrasco! thread.

Based on a tip from him, i moseyed on down to Central Market to check out their Passaporte Brazil offerings (on until May 7th). I was like a kid in a candy store! I was mainly looking for the v-shaped skewers, but they had other shiny ones too. Picked up 4 of each kind. I don't know why I'm on a hardware acquisition spree recently.

I have a thing for skewers, and i've always wanted ones with nice handles. The v-shaped one on the left is a great deal - $5 each, sturdy, stainless steel, and the meat has virtually no chance to spin because of the shape of the skewer. The 2-pronged ones will come in handy for veggies, smaller meats, shrimp, etc. And the big swords (on the right) were just too shiny and cool to pass up. If SWMBO ever finds out how much I actually spent on all these skewers, I have a pretty good idea what she's going to use them for. 

Got to thinking (always dangerous), and figured I needed a way to organize and hold my skewers. Thought about it overnight, got home from work early and came up with this... behold the Skewer Horse! Too impatient to wait for buying decent wood, so the first protoype is built out of 2x4's. I will probably build one for my tandoor skewers as well. 

Also picked up some parmesan crusted pork tenderloin.

Rolled the small egg out, and got her ready. Used Wicked Good for the first time, and I think I'm sold on it - lit up fast, no sparks, nice aroma as it burned.

Cooked at about 325ish for 15-20 minutes per side, until the IT was about 165. Meant to pull them at 150, but i got distracted (read= ran out of beer outside).

SWMBO made a salad with white balsamic vinaigrette (picked up in Salado btw), pecans and craisins. Hers had gorgonzola too,

[No plated shot since the lighting in my kitchen sucks :( ]

This was a luxury meal for a weeknight, and took little effort to put together. I love my egg(s)!

Next up: picanha!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    awesome!  my favorite pic is the one with the coals glowing purple.  you keep knocking them out of the park with cooks like this.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Awesome cook! I love the variety your cooks add to the forum! I wish we could get awesome grocery stores like that in Oklahoma (stupid liquor laws keep the big chains out)

Your going to have quite the options to pick from when I get to your stop on the International Egghead Travel Network..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    edited May 2013
    Love the skewers! Those are awesome. I am now on the search.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks great, Cali !  Tell me more about the meat.  Did it come that way or did you put rub on it?  The finished cooked meat looks fantastic.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    About a thousand things to like in those pictures (and I did). But the one to me over the top ( one in 100) was the opener :-B
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Too cool!  I love the skewer horse.  The parm crust looks incredible on the cooked pork. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Beautiful. I love going to Brazilian steak houses and want to recreate that on the Egg. More toys I need to buy.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Dude....how crazy! I was at Central Market Tuesday and picked up two of those v-shaped skewers and two skewers of the porco temperado parmesao. I just haven't cooked it yet, probably tonight. So tell me...how was it? No, don't tell me. No tell me. No don't. I'm planning on cooking it up just like you did.

I also picked up some of the pre-marinated grouper (forget what it was called) and it was outstanding..

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Good looking grub. I've got to put some off road casters on my med like ur egg.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Looks delicious. Awesome pics too.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I think you need to put some wheels on that skewer horse!
    Dunedin, FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Great post all around... Now I have just added to the gotta have list of gear :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I know why you didn't cook at Salado.. You're afraid your table crowd would be a fire hazard.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Awesome cook!

There are always threads that cost me money...this is one of them for sure. :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Great cook and post.  Thanks for the pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• That is great! What do you think you will use the big swords for? They are sturdy enough to skewer a whole primal ribeye! I have no idea what to do with such a massive skewer, but it was too awesome not to buy.

Your rolling nest setup looks awesome too!
  • caliking

Thanks, folks!  I'm going to try to get back to everyone:

@U_tarded: it has something to do with the kind of sensor on my cellphone camera and bugs me no end. I need to take pics with a better camera, but the convenience of a smartphone can't be beat.

@Solson005: The IETN sounds like an awesome idea. I think @Foghorn would be interested. If we get to your place though, we may never leave.

@Griffin & VI: Bought these from the meat counter at Central Market, already prepped. They did a good job I think - the parm coating/crust didn't fall off and grilled up nicely. But these puppies need garlic. LOTSA garlic. My fav churrascaria in Houston is Nellore and their version of this is garlicky goodness. So make sure you add extra garlic if you're cooking these. I really liked how these came out though and will try to make my own version sometime. Griffin - I might go back and pick up some of that grouper... sounds tasty.

@Mickey: I walked around the whole store waiting to find the live Brazilian wax demo... no dice.

@travisstrick: the big wheels work well on the stone deck of my pool. Rolls across the lawn easily as well, so makes transporting it easier.

@yzzi: believe me, the thought did cross my mind. The skewer horse will be stabled in the garage, and it is easier to cut through the house, so I may not add wheels to it. SWMBO would not be happy if I kept rolling that thing in and out.

@henapple: I keep kicking myself for not cooking at Salado. Next year for sure.

@Federalist226: You started all of this! :) I don't know what the big swords will be used for yet, but small animals could be done without much fuss. Maybe whole chickens, kinda spit roasted? I just couldn't not have them when I saw them. The big wheel mod works very well for me, and gives the small egg an edgy look.

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Looking good man.  What's the name of that cut?
  • Griffin

Yeah, that is where I got mine. Same stuff. I'll add garlic per your suggestion.

If you go back, you have to get some Forno de Minas. its like those cheesey rolls that they have at Fogo de Cao. Look in the frozen section. So good.

Rowlett, Texas

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @henapple: I keep kicking myself for not cooking at Salado. Next year for sure...

We won't let you know what the date is...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    edited May 2013

@Smoothsmoke: it was called porco temperado parmesao, and was basically tenderloin I think.

@Griffin: Oh yeah. They had  fresh (unfrozen) ones here in Houston. I could eat fistfuls of those.

@henappel: if that's the case you may find me randomly riding my EggWagen down the streets of Salado every weekend in March ...  :ar!

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Sounds good man!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    "Your going to have quite the options to pick from when I get to your stop on the International Egghead Travel Network.. "

@caliking and I are the hosts on that show by virtue of him calling shotgun on another thread. However, we'll need some roadies...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Sounds good @Foghorn I want to make guest appearances. You can do the first episode at my house.

I was thinking of a more catchy name: how about Egghead Group Gathering Spots or EGGS for short?

Any thoughts?
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Solson005 said:
    Sounds good @Foghorn I want to make guest appearances. You can do the first episode at my house. I was thinking of a more catchy name: how about Egghead Group Gathering Spots or EGGS for short? Any thoughts?

That sounds great too.  But I have to admit that I like the idea of having our own network.

Unfortunately, for me, this is pure fantasy as I don't see myself retiring and having time for this any time soon.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    edited May 2013
    Well i finally did the pork. As per your suggestion, i added some garlic.  wasn't very impressed. not much flavor from the parmesan cheese. The skewers worked perfectly. almost as if they were made for the Egg. I have pictures but no easy way to upload then from home as our computer is down and I'm resorting to type this on my Kindle.

Rowlett, Texas

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Beautiful just beautiful.  Like your holding rack too<br>
    Will be at CM tomorrow picking up the skewers and some meat. Thanks for the reminder<br>

=D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Beautiful just beautiful.  Like your holding rack too<br>
    Will be at CM tomorrow picking up the skewers and some meat. Thanks for the reminder<br>

=D>

tfj and I are headed over now. Goodbye $100
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    edited May 2013
    Cen-Tex: You'll be lucky if you leave just a $100 lighter. I'm too embarrassed to say how much our bill was that day... and then I went back to get a Kent mango tree the next day. We'll see how it (the tree) does in Houston.

@Austin_Egghead and those looking for skewers - the v-shaped ones are a great deal at $5 a piece, but there are 2 versions. One version is quite flimsy and quite useless IMO, but is the same v-shape as the more sturdy one, which is the one you actually want. So give 'em the bend test and the the stiffer ones.

@Griffin: the pork needed garlic and salt to wake it up a bit - I was able to add some salt later, but too late for the garlic. It tasted great the next day as leftovers - nice smoky flavor and the pork was still tender. But it was no comparison to the flavor of the picanha.

I tried the grouper in the Cheiro Verde marinade last night. The grouper was fabulous, so thank you for the tip. The marinade was salty for our taste, but I liked the flavors in it. I will probably try to make my own version sometime and give it a shot. 

This run of Brazilian-style cooks has been great, since I tried some new things and will add some of them to my bbq rotation. 

• i was wrong. $185. Dang that place. I did get a sweet pork belly though. Going in the cure tonight.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX