Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If most people suggest smoking a full brisket for 12-13 hours, can I smoke a half brisket for 6-7?

Options
This brisket is 4lbs.  I guess I'm looking for hours per pound at 225is.

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks,

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I usually takes 1-1.5 hrs per lb at 250/275. 

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    edited April 2013
    Options
    First off-225 or so on the dome (calibrated) will be hard to hold and will take forever due to the fact that generally your cooking grid will be initially around 20*F lower (gap closes longer the dome stays shut).  Most run around 270+/-*F (most BGE's have a "sweet-spot" around 240-260, where they naturally settle on low&slows) on the dome and plan for 2 hrs /#.  If finished early you can foil, towel, cooler (FTC) for a good 4-5 hrs til time to serve.  Finish is when a probe goes in and out with no resistance in the thickest part of the flat-start checking around 190 but don't be surprised if you get into the low 200's before finished.  FWIW-and welcome aboard.  Enjoy the cook and BGE!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    If it's a flat or part of a flat it will cook faster. It's about thickness.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine will lock in here for 36 hrs. Have a chuckie in now, brisket tonight. Listen to cap. Let your egg find its spot and let it cook there. 225 is too low and you'll be chasing your fire all night.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I did an 8 pound brisket last weekend at 275 and it was done in 6 hours.  Delicious!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    QDude said:
    I did an 8 pound brisket last weekend at 275 and it was done in 6 hours.  Delicious!
    sounds about right to me. can be a little more than that but that's in the park

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mine will lock in here for 36 hrs. Have a chuckie in now, brisket tonight. Listen to cap. Let your egg find its spot and let it cook there. 225 is too low and you'll be chasing your fire all night.
    Damn C-T you use one of those. I thought you just willed the brisket to be perfect

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn C-T you use one of those. I thought you just willed the brisket to be perfect
    This is for a chuckie that I need to pull off for a braise at 160. I usually don't use them on briskets until the next day when they are getting close. Too much hassle. 

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    I don't cook brisket that often. Last time I cooked it it took me 14 hours and it was not even that big. I cooked it about 225-250 and I was surprised it was locked into that temp for the entire time. It turned out very well! I was impressed!!
  • handymannyharvey
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I have a medium egg and I think the temp stays pretty true to my thermometer (I calibrate it frequently).

I'll get it going at 240is and let it sit for 6-7 hours, then another 2-3 in FTC.