Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a recommendation for a knife sharpener

Options

I was leaning towards the Edge Pro.

What are you using and what are your likes/dislikes?

TIA

Edina, MN

Comments

• mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've been using an Edge Pro for a couple years and if you can live with the cost I doubt you'd ever be disappointed. Short learning curve and it works incredibly.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    here is a good resource. I ended upbuying a stone with 400 on one side and 1000 on the other. My knoves have never been sharper. I will most likely add a few stones just to play around with it but 400 and 1000 will get the job done. It was like $40 at a kitchen store
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Was looking at CT's link and noticed a post from VI about his wife cutting herself (several times)... anyone own and use one of these when you're cutting meat?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    My wife drops off the knives with the butcher at Kroger while she is shopping picks them up when she is done. No charge, been doing it for years now.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I recently got a stone. 1000/6000 Japanese water stone
    Long term learning to use a stone will be cheaper and sharper in terms of DIY options.
    Edit* I have this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DD2C9/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=cm_sw_su_dp
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Go to the forums at chefknivestogo.com. They have a ton of info on starter stones and kits.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Chef's Choice 120 or 130.......no doubt.  They are about $150 and worth every penny.  I have the 130 which allows you to put a couple different edges on knifes.  It takes a while to figure out which knives need which edges, but it's all based on what you use them for.  Once you figure it out, it's a breeze. 

I also have a knife maker  / commercial knife sharpening service locally, they charge you per the inch sharpened.  I would take my knives, axes, machetes, etc in there all at once, then go back the next day to pick them up. 

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

I purchased a 1 X 42 inch belt sander after watching some you tube videos on knife sharpening....bought 5 different grits of belts to work with.  In a few trials on non kitchen knives I got the hang of it....can put a razor edge on a kitchen knife when using this sander and finishing with a leather belt with buffing compound....touch it up using the same leather belt...I could not spell wetstone much less use one...this sanders will sharpen a lot of things...easier than u think with a little practice....worth watching the videos if willing to make a small investment....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I use plastic knives... Disposable :-/
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    ordered up the Edge Pro Apex, will post reviews once I get a chance to use it.
    Edina, MN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I have a guy that lives at the end of the street. I take a good Tito's vodka and all my knives are sharp. He makes knives, just make and donated one to the Alamo.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I bought an Edge Pro Apex a few years ago. It took a little practice. I started w. 2nd hand store dime knives. Now, between careful ceramic honing and the Edge Pro, my knives will cut most anything very smoothly.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I use a VSharp Xtreme edge.http://www.v-sharp.com/product/v-sharp-xe/ Use it in my shop, kitchen and fishing trips. Goof proof and works well for me

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • HeathBar
    HeathBar Posts: 21
    Options
    Chefs choice is the best I've ever had.
    XL BGE 
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a Chef's Choice... Use it only when a steel no longer gives a sharp edge.  Works well.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Here's what I use and I highly recommend this site. sharpeningsupplies.com

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-3-Stone-IM313CIS-Arkansas-System-P317C5.aspx

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Options
    I purchased the EdgePro Apex 4 kit about six months ago.  When I was shopping for this stuff, I was looking at this as well as the Wicked Edge system.  While I think the Wicked Edge system is a better overall solution due to the way it works, it does cost more than the Apex kit and it also appears that the replacement accessories are also more expensive. 

I went with the Apex 4 kit for a few reasons.  The first reason is because after watching a bunch of their videos on YouTube, I had every bit of confidence that I could sharpen anything I wanted to sharpen with this kit.  There is a bit of a learning curve with this system, so keep that in mind as you go.  Once I learned how to use it on some of my old cheap knives, I started putting some really seriously badassss edges on my pocket knives.  After that, I went back to some of my better kitchen knives and I'm completely happy with this system. 

The biggest part of the learning curve with this system (and would have the same curve with the Wicked Edge) is learning the process to figure out exactly what your blade angle is and how to set the machine up for it.  Once you do that and make notes of it for each knife you have, repeating the process is no issue. 

I'm quite happy with this purchase and would do it again.... as well as recommend it...  All I can say is take your time learning how to use it.  It's a fantastic tool.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Bought this system a few months ago and really like it...once you get the hang of it...it rarley takes more than a couple of minutes to put on a razor edge....make sure you use a grinder with the wheels mounted as far apart as you can...I went with one from Harbor Freight for $40.00....GL

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Stones and a good steel.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Spyderco Sharpmaker.  Similar to other designs, but this one actually works very well.  Very happy with it. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • wbbh
    wbbh Posts: 5
    Options
    AD18 said:
    Spyderco Sharpmaker.  Similar to other designs, but this one actually works very well.  Very happy with it. 
    Another vote for the Sharpmaker.  I tried various systems that held a stone at a fixed angle, but none of them worked as well or as easily as the Sharpmaker.  Mine came with a DVD that explains in detail how to use the Sharpmaker.  BTW, I use the stones to sharpen the blades on our food processor, mandolin and scissors.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I have a low-end Chef's Choice unit and it is a piece of junk, IMHO. It marks up the knives, and it is very hard to use well. I find it's basically impossible to sharpen the last inch or so of any knife with it. It is better than nothing, but not by much. I only use it because in my 4 decades on this Earth I have never been able to learn to sharpen a blade manually. Without fail, I always make them worse.

I would love to find an automagical sharpener that worked easily and well.

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I have a low-end Chef's Choice unit and it is a piece of junk, IMHO. It marks up the knives, and it is very hard to use well. I find it's basically impossible to sharpen the last inch or so of any knife with it. It is better than nothing, but not by much. I only use it because in my 4 decades on this Earth I have never been able to learn to sharpen a blade manually. Without fail, I always make them worse.

I would love to find an automagical sharpener that worked easily and well.

The VSharp Xtreme is goof proof. I have a $600 rig I use for sharpening my lathe tools and drawer full of stones and VSharp gets used for my knives. The VSharp keeps the angle between the blade and the stone consistent and correct. That's the hard part when sharpening without a jig.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I've been using a simple butcher's steel for more than 40 hears.  Not the same one.  Once you learn to sharpen a knife with butcher's steel you will never have another dull knife.  Only takes a few strokes once or twice a month.  I usually hit the knife with a few strokes before I start cleaning a big piece of meat. Takes less than half a minute.
    Columbia, SC

• Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    I have been waiting to chime in here has any body tried the work sharp knive and tool wskts sharpener you can buy for 70 bucks. My neighbor prides himself in knive sharpening has all the stones,wheels and anything else you can think of. I showd him my chrismas gift and he just about fell over you can carve your name in a piece a paper and it takes no learning curve. I like sharp knives and this is a great product.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

I have less than $300 in the 1" X 42" belt sander and belts for sharpening.  Multiple uses with this so I find it hard to spend big $$$ on a specific knife sharpener that will work no better and not as versatile.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You can get the king stone 1000/6000 for $50 and in 5 minutes make a knife sharp enough to shave your arm.
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options

Just received the Edge Pro Apex and sharpened all the knives in our block.  After about the 7 or 8th knife I got the hang of it.  So far I really like it and our knives have never been sharper.

Edina, MN