Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hawaiian Chicken Lollipops (pix)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052

No smoke added.....just grilled them up over lump charcoal.  Flavor was ridiculous!  :D

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Recipe?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Marinate for a few hours in Lawry's Hawaiian Marinade, Pineapple Juice and a sweet and spicy rub of your liking. Sprinkle with the rub and baste with the marinade until done. :)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    You have really been blowing my skirt up lately. Good work sir.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice! Kids will love those. Thanks

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    OK, I will probably feel stupid, but what is the cut?  Are those legs that have been trimmed to the bone?

Great look.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Those look amazing - need more detail.
    Options
    Thx, guys! Simple as cake to do.... And very cheap....

You just take a sharp knife and score a ring around the knob. Then pull the meat towards the base of the leg. You can snip away the sharp bone and tendons that are exposed at this point too. Then you take a heavy knife and place it high up the leg bone....then using your other hand, smack the back of the knife and chop the knob off with one quick blow.

Then season, marinate, and grill to your liking. :)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    A great looking presentation.  I like the even cook that occurs when you use a rack.  Next time around I will have to try and see if I can trim to the bone, but preserve enough knob to hang in the rack.

Thanks for a new idea.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Dyal_SC
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Doc, I'm sure you can utilize the foil to protect the bone, as well as give the rack a little something to grab ahold of...:)
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    LOL... I knew someone would go there... ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Starting to think you East Coast types can cook. WOW
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dyal_SC
    Options
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited April 2013
    Options

Here is a video that shows how to make the lollipops from the wings... and bone out a whole bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

Lollipop of the winglet is in the first minute of the video.

Using the leg looks like it would give a much meatier pop... will definitely try

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! =P~

I just tried that marinade on chicken using my new food saver marinade canister, I really liked the flavor and imagine your method takes it up a couple of notches!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Ok...now you are just showing off Dial_Soap. ;)

I think I'd like to try that...wrapped in BACON!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    "Then you take a heavy knife and place it high up the leg bone....then using your other hand, smack the back of the knife and chop the knob off with one quick blow."................................... This makes me shudder a little
    Does kinda sound like a briss...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    caliking said:
    "Then you take a heavy knife and place it high up the leg bone....then using your other hand, smack the back of the knife and chop the knob off with one quick blow."................................... This makes me shudder a little
    Does kinda sound like a briss...
    Oy vey, Shlomo

A bris and brisket. Dinner and a show.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is definitely high on my to do list!  Thanks for sharing the technique.  

I suppose if you want to use one of the leg racks you could always just leave the knob on the end; or perhaps lop it off after they have cooked.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    If there is a heaven, that is without a doubt what they serve for their welcome dinner. 10 out of 10!!!!!!!!!!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx fellas'! They seem to cook more evenly and stay juicier with this method too. Plus snipping away the tendons and sharp bone beforehand makes for a more pleasant chicken drum. I made these once for my family, nieces and nephews, and my one nephew commented, "Uncle Craig, there won't be any of these left after dinner today." :) And there weren't. Half a ham leftover, but no chicken lollipops. ;) Kid and adult approved. :)
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Instead of just snipping the tendon and bone, try using needle nose pliers to pull them out. Done with wings, a great appetizer. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    So still not clear. Is what you cooked chicken legs or wing drumettes? Guess it could be done with either.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx for the tip, @jlsm!! I'll hafta try that. @SmokinDAWG82, these are chicken legs. They can be done with wings too though.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Here is my favorite video showing how to do the wings. Jacques Pepin. Everything sounds better with a french accent.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Wow does he make that look easy!!!! 

Part of me is in awe, another part thinking he's got such psycho potential!!!! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The Pepin video is a real treat. I have made wing lollipops before but prefer the drumstick version - a bigger treat for the effort involved. Oh, and I tried needle nose pliers to pull the little bone in the drumstcks (fibula?) and it didn't work too well.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.