Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What is your grocery/household budget a month?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    henapple said:
    @travisstrick... So with booze you're at $400 a week?
    Damn Travis, if you lived here you would double the booze part

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    You ask right after we switch from Regular Beef to Grass fed, doubles the price. It's just 2 of us and occasional drop in's but we go $300 a week on food, including beer and wine we get at Publix
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Five of us; me, wife and three kids.  We're at about $1300/ month, including household items.  We're in SoCal and everything's expensive, but if I'm honest we spend a lot of money on wine.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    We average about $200 per week.  There are two of us but we feed a lot of friends and neighbors fairly frequently.  The $100 for the filets for my wife's birthday dinner for 7 people last night will impact the average.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I'm in the 200 dollar per week club, two adults, two kids. That doesn't include booze or the occasional smoke.  I would guess if you throw lump and liquor in there it's 300 a week.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Little Steven

That's a relief, I buy my lump at the butcher. Forgot about that one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• There is just two of us and we get by on $185 every two weeks 25 years got by on $50 a week
    :((

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    henapple said:
    Couse it sucks or couse its more expensive. I almost went to rehab when I lived in Fairbanks, AK. December is hard to deal with when its -40 for 3 weeks straight. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    You otta live up here I'm a scared to add it up.With just my wife and I (and we eat out way to much), would venture to guess we still go over a thou a month.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    We are about $1200 a month for 4 all organic/grass fed local bought. Should go down when summer crops start coming in.
    Lynnwood WA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2013

I guess we eat pretty good at home. Just swmbo and myself. I am a chef so I eat at work during the day. She usually packs a light lunch and a few snacks. I only eat dinner at home. We are probably running $4-$600 month. I get alot of deals through work on grocery too, especially meat.

I was talking to a buddy of mine, and he added his bills up for taxes to write off, he saves all bills when he eats out. Its just a side business so he doesnt entertain clients at all or ever for that matter. He spent $5400 eating out last year. I spent $628.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    you guys weekly bills are higher than my holiday bills
    :)) i make a little below average pay, but this explains why i have two lake houses.
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Bout $200/week in Groceries and stuff from Publix. 

Bout $150/week on top of that eating out.

There are 3 of us in my clan.

This thread makes me sad 
    :((
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    Last year, we averaged $775 per month for me, SWMBO and 2 kids. But, we buy gas at Kroger, so some of those charges get rolled in there because Mint can't tell Kroger Food and Kroger Gas apart.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    When we were a family of 6, the weekly trip to the supermarket was around $70, but the kids drank a minimum of a gallon of milk a day on top of that. Probably $400/mo in 1990 dollars.

The youngest boy managed to move out last December. (2 jobs, 6 days a week, woo-hoo!) I'm having difficulty buying and cooking portions small enough. Too many spoiled leftovers. Spending maybe $200/mo. and not necessarily buying minimum quality stuff.

But holidays when the kids are back blow all that. The (dubious) value of my cooking aside, Christmas, Easter, 4th, Thanksgiving tends to cost about $400/dy.

• Eating low carb is definitely more expensive! Wilma does the shopping. I don't want to know.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'd guess we're at $200/wk, but it is hard to know since that it includes cleaning supplies, TP, etc.  and my wife tends to make more than 1 trip to the store per week.  Some weeks are definitely less, but throw in a Costco run and that bill can be anywhere from $200 - $400.  Add alcohol on top of that.  We normally eat out 1 night a week and I buy lunch at work. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Wife is within 60 days of retirement and I am from that to another 8 months. This will help me work up an idea.....I always thought household was paid by Chase.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    henapple said:
    Couse it sucks or couse its more expensive. I almost went to rehab when I lived in Fairbanks, AK. December is hard to deal with when its -40 for 3 weeks straight. 
    Oh it's double the price here cause of the taxes. My 500 wk includes 140 bucks worth of cigarrettes as well. Gotta lose that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I honestly don't keep tabs on it.  My wife are pretty conservative on spending in a lot of other areas and we like to eat well.  My guess is it's pretty high....

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    $250/week. Family of 5...what are you gonna do?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    This thread has me interested in actually reviewing my spending in detail. Get more exact figures.
    Boom
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    I use envelope budgeting software called YNAB. It's awesome.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    About $150 per week at Wegman's and another $50 for last minute meals. That's for 3 adults, and a 3 year old girl who eats more than me and burns three times as much calories. Any given week I'm gone 4 - 5 days. About a third that much in booze.
    This thread has me interested in actually reviewing my spending in detail. Get more exact figures.
    you have to go thru all the bills
    :)) my quarterly water bill is 8 bucks, not enough to even think about changing the gasket on the leaky faucet. have the lights changed over to those low wattage ones, as i go thru the house i add a diode type dimmer to each room so the lights dont go on often anyways, electric bill never goes much over 30 bucks until winter when i flip on a heater which jumps it to 60 bucks. when i bought my first house the idea was to pay what a gas station attendant could afford monthly, found a camp on a lake.........liked it so much i bought another
    :D man am i glad i didnt buy a big expensive house to feed my paycheck to
    fukahwee maine

• double
    double Posts: 1,214

you have to go thru all the bills
    :)) my quarterly water bill is 8 bucks, not enough to even think about changing the gasket on the leaky faucet. have the lights changed over to those low wattage ones, as i go thru the house i add a diode type dimmer to each room so the lights dont go on often anyways, electric bill never goes much over 30 bucks until winter when i flip on a heater which jumps it to 60 bucks. when i bought my first house the idea was to pay what a gas station attendant could afford monthly, found a camp on a lake.........liked it so much i bought another
    :D man am i glad i didnt buy a big expensive house to feed my paycheck to

Wow maybe another thread... What everyone's utility costs are around the country. Our electric bill hits $400 in the winter and we don't have a massive house. Water sewer garbage is at least another $150 or more a month.

Lynnwood WA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    double said:
    Wow maybe another thread... What everyone's utility costs are around the country. Our electric bill hits $400 in the winter and we don't have a massive house. Water sewer garbage is at least another $150 or more a month.
    My electric bill last month was $-3.25 (yes, minus).  I have 32 PV solar panels.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    double said:
    My electric bill last month was $-3.25 (yes, minus).  I have 32 PV solar panels.
    you should bill like they bill you

cost of electricity
    customer charge
    distribution charge
    transition charge
    transmission charge
    energy efficiency charge
    renewable energy charge
    storm performance adjustment
    fukahwee maine

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I live in Columbia SC. I guess electric bill averages $180-200. Can get higher at temp extremes. When weather perfect and not running HVAC drops to maybe $140. Small house, 1,300 sq ft.
    Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

double said:

That figures... Mr renaissance man.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN