Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: The other uses for a Thermapen

jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
Saw the Maverick vs. Thermapen thread and wondered about all the other purposes you all use it. Today I used it to measure the temperature of the soil outside. Can't plant certain bulbs until the soil reaches 50*; it was 46* today. I also use it almost daily when I froth milk for latte; frothed milk should be 150*.  
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• ptmurphy
    ptmurphy Posts: 42
    I've used it to test the air temp coming out of the vents to make sure the AC is cooling to the right temp.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I use it to make french press coffee (water should be about 190).  Also when I am reheating pulled pork in foodsaver bags (keep water 170-180).  My wife uses it all the time now when she cooks on that big clock in the kitchen.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I am so sorry that VI is allowed a computer. You would think that incident with the children would have stopped it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I use it to tell my kid that pool temp of 76 is too cold.
    Dunedin, FL
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    I use it for my French Press and it gets used all the time when I'm home brewing beer.  Mmmm.....beer....

My brother has used his to test the temperature of the mayo in his fridge because they were concerned the fridge wasn't cooling correctly, which it wasn't.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Mickey said:
    I am so sorry that VI is allowed a computer. You would think that incident with the children would have stopped it.
    That wasn't me.  It was somebody that looks like me.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    +1 on coffee and frothed milk.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    The Mrs uses it for baking. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot
    Pam uses it for making pralines.  They have a very small tolerance for temperature variation.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I use mine for testing the loop temperatures in my geothermal system.  The loop has needle valves for temp & pressure checks/adjustments--the Thermapen is perfect fit!

I've also used it to test the coolant temps in my DeLorean to ensure the thermostat is opening and the cooling fans are kicking in at the right temps.

I use my infrared one most other things, but those two jobs need the pen.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

I often use it to show friends on egghead furums how dammit cold it is here

photo DSC_0074-1.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Mickey uses his for a rectal thermometer.  He always does that right before he cooks to make sure he's feeling OK.
    And on another thread on cleaning the thermapen between uses, Mickey indicated he just wipes the probe on his shorts......

Other than SWMBO's hang on the side of the pot candy/oil thermometer, the Thermapen has replaced all our thermometer, except for the biological ones. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I use mine for testing the loop temperatures in my geothermal system.  The loop has needle valves for temp & pressure checks/adjustments--the Thermapen is perfect fit!

I've also used it to test the coolant temps in my DeLorean to ensure the thermostat is opening and the cooling fans are kicking in at the right temps.

I use my infrared one most other things, but those two jobs need the pen.

@stlcharcoal

Doc, do you still use Miller in the flux capacitor? I would save the craft brews for myself.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    edited April 2013
    @Little_Steven, how do you get the Thermapen to display tenths? I got a Thermapen a month ago and I get no decimal point. Just curious.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GQuiz said:
    @Little_Steven, how do you get the Thermapen to display tenths? I got a Thermapen a month ago and I get no decimal point. Just curious.

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/10/customizing-your-thermapen/
    Go Hogs Go
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    EvansEgger Thanks for that. And just so everybody knows Photobucket is compacting my pics sideways so I didn't orter a special "Little Steven" short-ass thermapen

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @GQuiz - under the battery cap, 4 switches,
    1. Degrees F or C.
    2. Allows tenths or whole numbers
    3.Disable auto off, if you leave it open (on) after 10 minutes it will auto off.
    4. Trim, allows you to adjust (recalibrate) never used. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    @LittleSteven How do I get mine to go back to day-light-savings-time. Having it off by an hour is a PIA..........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey uses his for a rectal thermometer.  He always does that right before he cooks to make sure he's feeling OK.
    And on another thread on cleaning the thermapen between uses, Mickey indicated he just wipes the probe on his shorts......

Other than SWMBO's hang on the side of the pot candy/oil thermometer, the Thermapen has replaced all our thermometer, except for the biological ones. 
    You are watching me way to close. I am having papers drawn up now.
    :-B

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    @GQuiz - under the battery cap, 4 switches,
    1. Degrees F or C.
    2. Allows tenths or whole numbers
    3.Disable auto off, if you leave it open (on) after 10 minutes it will auto off.
    4. Trim, allows you to adjust (recalibrate) never used. 

Thanks. I honestly thought it didn't display the decimal because it was a newer model.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • EvansEgger Thanks for that. And just so everybody knows Photobucket is compacting my pics sideways so I didn't orter a special "Little Steven" short-ass thermapen

No problem. Got to love Google.
    Go Hogs Go
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2013
    GQuiz said:

Thanks. I honestly thought it didn't display the decimal because it was a newer model.

Or if you had an older model.......mine is the old "boxy" style one (5-6 y/o Original Superfast Thermopen).  It doesn't have the dip switches like the new ones.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I love my egg !!!  But when it gets down to needing to know ten's of a degree, i' afraid i'm out of here!! :((
  • Village Idiot
    +1 Charlie.  I'm outta here too.  If I pull my steak at 140.2° instead of 140.1° and it sucks, then I'm going back to TV dinners.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I check temps in my hotub. Just to make sure the tub's thermo is right.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I've stuck mine out the cracked open back door to see how cold it was.I don't think I'd use it for soil temps, or rectal temps either
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Only thing I do unconventional is use it to do is check water for my beta tank when I change it. Just I make sure it's at equilibrium.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    1. milk temp for yogurt making
    2. water temp before adding to aquarium
    3. keeping inexpensive remote therms 'honest' when not using my stoker
    4. oil temp when frying in wok
    5. confirming food stays safe (at least 140F) in my Thermos Pot 7+ hours easily. 
    canuckland