Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

French Bread Today & Pizza Tonight from the Same Dough

Options
2»

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options

@CigarSmokinEgger: You've sold me. Do you bake on the egg or like the results better in the oven? I want to try baguettes in the egg this weekend. Any suggestions?

Sounds like @The Cen-Tex Smoker is going to need a 2nd egg...
    Lynnwood WA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Awesome cook, I like to bake bread .. Will give the pizza a try. Done the do loaves in the past.
    Seattle, WA
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    Thanks! I've made baguettes in the oven, but have never done bread in the egg without using a DO. There are several interesting solutions for steam on another thread. It will be an interesting experiment for me!
    You got me, I've done searches and have come up empty.  What's "DO?"  Thanks :)
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    DO means dutch oven
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that means Dutch Oven in this context. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. 

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Options
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Options
    I'm making bread again today with the same dough recipe and thought I'd share a photo of the pre-ferment (biga). It's ready when it looks like a pancake that needs to be flipped and smells like ripe,fermenting alcohol (reminiscent of CenTex after a trip to Vegas).image
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Ah, science, the simple conversion of sugars to CO2 and alcohol... nice! (Even with the reference to CenTex and Vegas - Yuk)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice

I'm making bread again today with the same dough recipe and thought I'd share a photo of the pre-ferment (biga). It's ready when it looks like a pancake that needs to be flipped and smells like ripe,fermenting alcohol (reminiscent of CenTex after a trip to Vegas).image

Wow. I would say you have been busy this morning but I just landed in LA so i got you beat. Too bad I won't be there to enjoy that food you made sound so appetizing. You have seen me after a trip to Vegas, right. It's not pretty.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2013
    Options
    This is all makes sense. All this time, I thought cen was the grill master...turns out he just starts the egg. :(|)

@Girl_on_Grill You're a great wife to let cen take credit for your famous brisket and numerous sous vide adventures! I'm guessing cen just hands you the phone when I text him for advice huh? :P Hope you enjoyed the sammie yesterday!! ;)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    She is the SV master for sure. I just buy the briskets at franklins and take credit for them as my own. She's also the wok master. My skill set is very limited.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

She is the SV master for sure. I just buy the briskets at franklins and take credit for them as my own. She's also the wok master. My skill set is very limited.

=))
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Options
    It may not sound appetizing, but whoever follows these directions will have an "AHA!" moment when they are trying to figure out if their biga is ready.... quote from original directions above: "I let it rest in a 70 degree room for 14 hours until it was a gooey, bubbly, pungent mess." (insert CenTex joke here)

As for the true grill master in the house - CenTex, hands down. I'm still a lowly apprentice. 
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I also like to do a drop test; take a small portion and drop in water, if it floats, it's ready to go :)
  • Davegging
    Options
    I was getting ready to make this bread but couldn't figure out the measurement and I don't want to mess it up.  Isn't grams used for dry ingredients and ML for liquid?  What is the conversion for the water?  Thanks and looking forward to this bread
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Just give me that loaf and a pound of butter ... then leave me alone !!!! image

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Girl_on_Grill
    Options
    Davegging said:
    I was getting ready to make this bread but couldn't figure out the measurement and I don't want to mess it up.  Isn't grams used for dry ingredients and ML for liquid?  What is the conversion for the water?  Thanks and looking forward to this bread

I weigh everything. It's more precise than eyeballing the level of water in your measuring cup.
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Options
    Davegging said:
    If you really want to get into making bread, a scale and a thermapen are great helpers! That being said, if you don't have a scale and feel like winging it a little, here's my suggestion:

Buy a small bag of flour (weighing 1000 g) use 80% of it for the biga, and the remaining 20% in the final dough. 

or use this weight conversion chart (1 oz = 28 g)

Rough water weight to Cup conversion: 
    Biga: 544 g = 2 1/3 cup
    Final Dough: 206 g = slightly less than a cup

Have fun!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    With the pizza dough, you had me at bubbles.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dlt
    dlt Posts: 14
    Options
    Girl_On_Grill-can you tell me where the original recipe for the dough can be lcoated and the specific directions using the DO and the EGG? Thanks!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dlt said:
    Girl_On_Grill-can you tell me where the original recipe for the dough can be lcoated and the specific directions using the DO and the EGG? Thanks!
    she's not around at the moment but I think it's all in the original post. The DO on this one sat on the plate setter but I think last time she moved to a Wok filled with moist sand sand in a spider as a heat sink (she got that on here somewhere but I forgot who did it) and DO on our adjustable rig/oval stone. I'll ask her when she gets back but I think that was the setup she has moved to. All the information on the recipe and the source are all in her OP.

• Girl_on_Grill
    Options
    @dlt: The recipe can be found in Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish

I followed the directions in the book suggesting the use of a dutch oven and just made sure the BGE was the correct temp. I put the DO on the grid. The cooking techniques and times were the same.

The technique CenTex referred to (using a wok as heat sink) is for baguettes.
  • dlt
    dlt Posts: 14
    Options

Thanks for the info-I just ordered the Ken Forkish book yesterday and have a DO, so can't wait to try it out-looked awesome-with some real butter, cheese, wine or a brew? Life is good!

• mindfulwanderer
    Options
    That is a great way to use yeast bread recipes. I will check out the Flour Water Salt Yeast  baking book and also recommend Baking Artisan Bread by Ciril Hitz. Four or five basic yeast bread recipes with several variations on each one. regarding the king Arthur baguette pans and holes in the load try reducing your liquid just a touch. I've used the KA pans for a couple of years and not had a problem with holes or dough filling the pans holes. Keep it fresh bake often and enjoy life.