Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Capital of Texas

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

I like reading the Texas BBQ Posse's stuff and following their BBQ tours. Spotted this article last month and thought it was worth a share. Lockhart is no longer the BBQ Capital of Texas according to them.

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/2013/03/indeed-lockhart-is-no-longer-bbq.html

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I have eaten my through Lockhart and it is very tasty, But Pecan Lodge In Dallas is by far the best I have had.

If you leave the suburbs ever lets go. Only open Thur-Sun.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I'm sticking with Black's in Lockhart.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin

@TUTTLE I've tried Pecan. Found it before it became popular and the lines started forming early. We were walking over from the Farmer's Market and went over and talked to Justin and he showed me his pit and we talked bbq for good long time. Real nice guy. This was before the fence was built around the pit. Went inside to eat and he spotted us and started bringing over samples of everything for us to try. I need to hit up the Farmer's market again. There's a guy that sells local grass fed beef. Last time we bought a whole packer brisket that weighed like 5 lbs. Perfect size for just us and it was out of this world.

Rowlett, Texas

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I thought this was about my house.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Interesting article. I do have to say that Franklin had the best brisket that's ever hit my lips. My wife's cousin is getting married in TX in a few weeks from now. We just bought our plane tickets last night. My wife and I are making it an extended vacation, renting a car, and plan to hit the barbecue trail while we are there.... I can't wait!! Definitely can't wait to try Black's. My wife wants to see what all the fuss is about with the brisket at Franklin too. :) She got jealous when I went there for work last year. :D
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Is Franklins worth standing in line for 2 hours? No sarcasm intended... Is it worth the wait?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Griffin

@Dyal_SC I'm going to have to look at you message on FB again and see what dates you'll be here. Maybe we can hook up. Where are you flying in to?

Rowlett, Texas

• I'm sticking with Black's in Lockhart.
    I'll be going to Blacks for the first time next weekend.  I am very excited about it!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Dyal_SC
    @GQuiz, yes, it's worth the wait. I got in line at 9:30...I was 2nd in line. You gotta get there early so they don't sell out. I was eating at 11 or 11:30ish. Plenty of people in line to talk to while you wait, and they are mostly BBQ junkies like us. :)

@Griffin, sounds good... Flying into Austin late Thursday night. Will be tied up on Friday and Saturday, but will have free time after that. Flying back home on that Tuesday. I'm assuming the BBQ trail restaurants will be open Sun and Mon??
  • GQuiz
    As long as your in front of the "last man standing" you're good, right? Will have to venture soon. Once magazine drops, lines will be monstrous.

• Dyal_SC said:
    Interesting article. I do have to say that Franklin had the best brisket that's ever hit my lips. My wife's cousin is getting married in TX in a few weeks from now. We just bought our plane tickets last night. My wife and I are making it an extended vacation, renting a car, and plan to hit the barbecue trail while we are there.... I can't wait!! Definitely can't wait to try Black's. My wife wants to see what all the fuss is about with the brisket at Franklin too. :) She got jealous when I went there for work last year. :D
    come on down. Don't forget J. Mueller's in Austin as well. it's a trailer but right up there with Franklin's (it's Aaron's old pitmaster that runs it so they are like 1 and 1A. Way smaller lines at J. Mueller's
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GQuiz said:
    Is Franklins worth standing in line for 2 hours? No sarcasm intended... Is it worth the wait?
    once............

It's really good but there are others that are close. You can get the same brisket at j. Mueller's trailer with a 10 minute wait
  • Griffin
    I'm sticking with Black's in Lockhart.
    I'll be going to Blacks for the first time next weekend.  I am very excited about it!

You'll enjoy it, Kristi. The town is so small, though, you might as well go see Smitty's and Kreuz as well. Chislom Trail if you want to see where the local eat. If you could only pick one other one besides Blacks, I'd hit up Smitty's just for the history. Geez...we haven't been through there on the way to the ranch since January. I know we'll be going through in May again, but might have to hit it up before then.

@Dyal_SC - Kreuz is closed on Sunday. Smitty's and Blacks are open.So you are going to hit them Sunday and Monday or what?

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    @CenTex, I remember seeing that truck, but I didn't stop to eat....should have. We may stop there for lunch one day.

@Griffin, yup, we will be driving through Lockhart on Sunday and Monday most likely.
  • Dyal_SC said:
    @CenTex, I remember seeing that truck, but I didn't stop to eat....should have. We may stop there for lunch one day. @Griffin, yup, we will be driving through Lockhart on Sunday and Monday most likely.
    Do yourself a huge favor and drive 14 miles from Lockhart to Lulling and go to city market. It's my favorite of all of them down there. I've had hit and miss luck with Black's for sure. last few times, it's been very so-so
  • Village Idiot

Do yourself a huge favor and drive 14 miles from Lockhart to Lulling and go to city market. It's my favorite of all of them down there. I've had hit and miss luck with Black's for sure. last few times, it's been very so-so
    Funny.  I haven't been to the city market in Lulling, but I was talking to a friend the other day and he wasn't impressed at all with city market.

I guess all of them have good days and bad days.  I've eaten at Blacks about 8 times and it has been excellent every time.  I ate at Smitty's once and didn't care for it.  The brisket was dry.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Do yourself a huge favor and drive 14 miles from Lockhart to Lulling and go to city market. It's my favorite of all of them down there. I've had hit and miss luck with Black's for sure. last few times, it's been very so-so
    Funny.  I haven't been to the city market in Lulling, but I was talking to a friend the other day and he wasn't impressed at all with city market.

I guess all of them have good days and bad days.  I've eaten at Blacks about 8 times and it has been excellent every time.  I ate at Smitty's once and didn't care for it.  The brisket was dry.
    I've had good and bad days at all of them. I don't love any of their brisket in Lockhart, except Blacks when they do it right. Smitty's and Kruez all cook them in 4 hours. had a great one at City market a few weeks ago but it was cooked hot too. They are much more firm when they do it that way but this one was really good. Blacks does them low and slow but "some's definitively better than others" at all of them.

• Griffin
    I've had good and bad at all the places in Lockhart. Last time I went through was the best brisket I've had at Blacks. We tried to stop at Luling once. They were out of everything but sausage and their ATm machine was down anyway. Sucked because we could have stopped in Lockhart and gotten something. I even called CM from Lockhart and they said they still had plenty of everything and don't tell me they sold out in 15minutes. It was Thursday night and they were dead. I'll give them another shot, but I'll stop in Lockhart first for back ups.

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot
    To be fair, the WORST BBQ in Lockhart or Lulling is probably a lot better than the crap they sell here in Houston at Pappa's (17 restaurants in Houston).  And Pappa's is probably better than any BBQ outside of Texas (I'm talking brisket).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• To be fair, the WORST BBQ in Lockhart or Lulling is probably a lot better than the crap they sell here in Houston at Pappa's (17 restaurants in Houston).  And Pappa's is probably better than any BBQ outside of Texas (I'm talking brisket).
    Houston BBQ may be the nastiest in the country. Pecan Lodge in Dallas is amazing (and right down the street from where I work!). Lockhart is amazing, and I like them all. Kreutz Market is my favorite. Blacks is good, but definitely hit or miss. I haven't been to Franklin's yet, but it's on my to-do list.
  • To be fair, the WORST BBQ in Lockhart or Lulling is probably a lot better than the crap they sell here in Houston at Pappa's (17 restaurants in Houston).  And Pappa's is probably better than any BBQ outside of Texas (I'm talking brisket).
    Houston BBQ may be the nastiest in the country. Pecan Lodge in Dallas is amazing (and right down the street from where I work!). Lockhart is amazing, and I like them all. Kreutz Market is my favorite. Blacks is good, but definitely hit or miss. I haven't been to Franklin's yet, but it's on my to-do list.
    Virgies is good though. Kind of sketchy but good Q
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    @Kreutz, but Black´s Rule!!!
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932

To be fair, the WORST BBQ in Lockhart or Lulling is probably a lot better than the crap they sell here in Houston at Pappa's (17 restaurants in Houston).  And Pappa's is probably better than any BBQ outside of Texas (I'm talking brisket).

Virgies is good though. Kind of sketchy but good Q

No mention of Coopers in Llano yet - often overlooked gem on the Texas BBQ circuit. Lots of good choices within a couple hours. California has wine tours - I see a business in Texas BBQ tours :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Village Idiot
    No mention of Coopers in Llano yet - often overlooked gem on the Texas BBQ circuit. Lots of good choices within a couple hours. California has wine tours - I see a business in Texas BBQ tours :)
    Yep, going there next weekend on my bike.  Good BBQ !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I have friends in Austin.I hear good things about Live Oak BBQ there in Austin.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    There's a new worst BBQ in Houston ..... I'm Here!!!!!  :D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GQuiz
    If you get to Kerrville, hit Buzzie's. so where is the J. Mueller trailer? Did you read the Texas Monthly article a few years back called "The Greatest Barbecue Story Never Told."? Great read. That's why I'll have to do the two hour line at Franklins soon. And why I must visit the trailer.

• GQuiz said:
    If you get to Kerrville, hit Buzzie's. so where is the J. Mueller trailer? Did you read the Texas Monthly article a few years back called "The Greatest Barbecue Story Never Told."? Great read. That's why I'll have to do the two hour line at Franklins soon. And why I must visit the trailer.
    yeah- great article. John Mueller apparently has some long running and well publicized (down here) demons. He's now out of the business and his sister, who was the owner anyway hired Franklin's pitmaster John Lewis to run it. They taught Aaron how they did it and when John went out of biz the first time, Aaron opened his own place.  he taught John Lewis and J. Mueller hired him away from Aaron when they fired John Mueller....phew. That's a mouthful. Anyway, when Arron won all those accolades, John Lewis was doing all the cooking. So you can get that same awesome brisket on South First St. at J. Mueller's. Last I heard John was running a pit for someone down in shiner. i'd eat there for sure if I was in the area. Dude is a little out there but can cook some brisket.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    Guess he is now back in Austin with a new financial partner:

Add John Mueller Meat Company to your Austin "must see" list. 

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Was just in Austin, and stopped by La Barbecue...believe it was formerly J Mueller's...now run by his sister.  Pit master is a former Franklin guy. Brisket and housemade sausage were amazing...and they have free beer!