Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rustic Sourdough

Options
2»

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Mighty_Quinn, your bread looks amazing! I tried creating my own sour dough starter a couple of years ago but never had much success with it. Seeing your post has inspired me to give it another shot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm going to order some from KA and see where that takes me

King Arthur's website is a great way to learn to bake bread and other goodies... I'm on that site before every cook. It's a great company.
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    You can also make a natural starter as detailed in Tartine by just mixing water and wheat/bread flour together by hand, then covering and leaving in a room for several days :)
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Lol...I was waiting that comment. On baking day I pull from fridge in the morning and let it sit in the container most of the day, then I shape and let proof for 30-60 minutes..basically until it feels right, which for me is when you poke the loaf and the indentation doesn't spring right back out.

Quinn... I read this thread the other day. I used my handy dandy digital scale and weighed out the ingredients to exactly what you posted. I let it proof/rise for 4 hours at room temp, about 70 degrees. I put it in the refrigerator for 2 days. I just took it out of the proofing container and shaped it. I am going to let it proof again on parchment paper and a pizza peel and I have it covered in cling wrap. I've fired up my LBGE. I'm going to give it about an hour to proof and then poke it to see if stays in or comes back out. If it stays in... I'm going to take it to the BGE. I think I'm going to put it in with the dome temp at 500. Which means the cooking temp at the felt level will be about 475 degrees. I'm going to mist it with hot water right before I close the lid. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    Lol...I was waiting that comment. On baking day I pull from fridge in the morning and let it sit in the container most of the day, then I shape and let proof for 30-60 minutes..basically until it feels right, which for me is when you poke the loaf and the indentation doesn't spring right back out.

Quinn... I read this thread the other day. I used my handy dandy digital scale and weighed out the ingredients to exactly what you posted. I let it proof/rise for 4 hours at room temp, about 70 degrees. I put it in the refrigerator for 2 days. I just took it out of the proofing container and shaped it. I am going to let it proof again on parchment paper and a pizza peel and I have it covered in cling wrap. I've fired up my LBGE. I'm going to give it about an hour to proof and then poke it to see if stays in or comes back out. If it stays in... I'm going to take it to the BGE. I think I'm going to put it in with the dome temp at 500. Which means the cooking temp at the felt level will be about 475 degrees. I'm going to mist it with hot water right before I close the lid. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe.
    MQ does not play on here much anymore so he may not answer you. He's off on other hobbies these days. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    CT, that makes me sad...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CT, that makes me sad...
    He may be back or lurk. I know he was planning on taking a break when I took mine. Haven't heard a peep since. He's really in to bread and Charcuterie so he's off on some of those right now I assume

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Thanks guy's for letting me know I probably won't hear back from him. That's to bad because that was a great loaf of bread! I measured out his recipe exactly with my digital scale right to the gram. I used 1/2 cup less water than he did. I set the BGE up with my pizza stone just an inch above the felt line. I cooked at 500 degrees dome temp... Which means I probably cooked at about 470/475. Before I started the cook I couldn't believe that that bread could take that temp for 40 minutes... So I opened the lid after 25 minutes and put my thermapen in and it was at like 154 degrees. I checked it at 35 minutes and it was like 180 degrees. I pulled it at 40 minutes at 194 degrees... He was dead on! The bread came out hard on the crust, soft and chewy in the interior. I'm going to make this my go to recipe... Until I find something better.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Thanks Mighty Quinn for your rustic sourdough recipe.  I tweaked it a bit for my taste buds and it was a fun ride all the way.  I made 4 loaves at 400 degrees dome from two batches.