Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump storage

Do you guys store your lump in their factory bags or some type of container?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I just leave it in the bag doesn't last long enough but I usually buy around 3 bags at a time
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a cheap "tote" that I keep inside a deck box by my egg.  I usually open a bag and pour some of it in the egg, then place the partial bag in the tote.  Sometimes there is a lot of "junk" at the end of a bag...or sometimes you get a crappy bag full of small stuff, so I will pour the contents of the bag in the tote and sort through it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    open bags go into a rubbermaid container on the deck. I just fill from the bag in the container.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Disclaimer: I live in CA, so I leave my lump in the original bag and put it in a kirkland/costco trash bag and yank on the drawstrings while storing it in the garage.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

What I am using is in a plastic lump/dog food holder. The rest in the garage.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    I store my lump in 2 plastic containers underneath my large table. I need 2 containers because I have 3 types of lump. Small, medium and large lump. Everytime I open a new bag of lump I sort it by size. In one of the two plastic containers I have a thick piece of cardboard I use to divide the container into 2 seperate sides. On one side I put just the small pieces. On the other side of that box I put just the medium size pieces. Then in the other box I just put in the large pieces. I do this for an important reason. That is because depending on what kind of cook you are going to be doing your fire box needs to be filled at different levels and with different sizes of lump. For steaks or anything that needs to be seared I set my lump so that it is 2" below the top of my fire box. That way I can get my small GX grill extender down on top of my fire box so I can sear my steaks within 2" of the red hot lump. Those type of cooks gives you the opportunity to use the small pieces up and of course you get more of that in every bag than you do the medium and large pieces. Then for long, long low and slow cooks your fire box needs to be filled entirely differently. The setup there is to fill the bottom of the fire box with just large pieces so as to block the little pieces from falling through during the long cook and blocking the airflow to your fire. Then on top of the large pieces your stack medium size pieces... Again to block the small pieces from falling through to block airflow. Then on top of the medium size pieces you fill up the fire box with all of your little pieces and the dust. If you do that set up right... You can cook low and slow for 24 hours without having to put more lump in. You can learn more about that by going to naked whiz.com and reading the article posted by Elder Ward on how to cook butts the right way. My system of handling and storing my lump also allows me to grade/judge lump suppliers too. I know who gives me good lump and who gives me bad lump. There you have it... That's my way. Happy Egging, dine well my friend.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I use these Kingsford charcoal containers. They hold about 10 pounds of lump so I keep 2 of them on my deck.  Rain or snow doesn't get in to them.

http://tinyurl.com/d8pwh79
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The bag it comes in is a great, recyclable container. It gets dumped into the egg as needed. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Store it in the garage

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited April 2013
    My lump comes in a reusable bag so I just keep it there. I don't leave it outdoors though, either in the garage or the shed works for me. 

If I switch it to containers when I buy it I would need 40 to 60 containers to hold it all.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    The hoard is in the basement, but up top on the deck 2 Kingsford containers. Works well. Just dump and go. Sorting serves no useful purpose. Your mileage may vary, HH.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    tazcrash said:
    open bags go into a rubbermaid container on the deck. I just fill from the bag in the container.

Same here

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• HogHeaven
    Aviator said:
    The hoard is in the basement, but up top on the deck 2 Kingsford containers. Works well. Just dump and go. Sorting serves no useful purpose. Your mileage may vary, HH.

I beg to differ with you on sorting... I have never had to put lump in even for 16 to 18 hour cooks. Knowing how to fill your fire box makes sure that never happens. Using just small pieces for reverse sears is smart so you use all of that up at about the same time all of your big and medium size pieces are gone. Makes perfect since to me. But... To each their own. Happy Egging and dine well my friends!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited April 2013
    HogHeaven said:
    Aviator said:

I beg to differ with you on sorting... I have never had to put lump in even for 16 to 18 hour cooks. Knowing how to fill your fire box makes sure that never happens. Using just small pieces for reverse sears is smart so you use all of that up at about the same time all of your big and medium size pieces are gone. Makes perfect since to me. But... To each their own. Happy Egging and dine well my friends!
    The egg will go 16 - 18 hours, mine does as well.
    :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i get 25/30 bags at a time and store on a skid in my shed . any open unused portion of the bag goes into a kingsford charcoal container next to the eggs 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • HogHeaven
    bigphil said:
    i get 25/30 bags at a time and store on a skid in my shed . any open unused portion of the bag goes into a kingsford charcoal container next to the eggs 

Just curious what would motivate someone to buy 30 bags of lump at a time... Are you planning for a disruption of the supply/distribution system or something?
  • bigphil
    @HogHeaven i have a LBGE and a XLBGE we cook on them every night and since i have the room it saves me from picking it up all the time .also i stock up at the end of the season so i have enough for the winter since around me the only thing nearby i can get is cowboy which i really don't care for 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • HogHeaven
    Bigphil... Cool. I just have a LBGE and it's just me and the wifey. She does get mad as hell when I fill up both refrigerator's with leftovers though. I cook more than we eat and it would take me a year an a half to go through that much lump.
  • i go through 2-3 10 lb bags a week so back-stock is in the garage and 2 bags in a deck box by the egg
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @HogHeaven I go with @Aviator. Big fan of dump it in and it all burns. Has always worked for me. Did the sorting once for a month and just could see no differance. I do sort of sort. I reach in one of the Larges to get pre fired lump for the Mini as it lights faster.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Store it in my Car Hold in the bags they come in, I got 3 different brands (Royal Oak, Central Market Version, and B&B) I change up each time for different cooks.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• bigphil
    @hogheaven sounds like you need a food sealer to freeze those left overs 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    HogHeaven said:

bigphil said:

Just curious what would motivate someone to buy 30 bags of lump at a time... Are you planning for a disruption of the supply/distribution system or something?

I buy 30 bags at a time to stock up for both summer and winter. I don't want to go to the store all of the time to get lump. Also, the price for vying in bulk can save lots of money.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • HogHeaven
    bigphil said:
    @hogheaven sounds like you need a food sealer to freeze those left overs 

LOL... I didn't mention that earlier. Got one and the freezer's are full too. Sometimes when the wifey is not looking I donate it.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    I buy 50 or so bags around Memorial Day sale time; it last me a whole year.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mickey said:

What I am using is in a plastic lump/dog food holder. The rest in the garage.

Man, @Mickey a lot of lump. How does OO compare to RO?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'm in the dump it in and go and have never had a problem. I have 2 Kingsford containers on my deck and keep unopened bags in the garage
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    RO 20 lbers went on sale for $9.97 couple of days ago. I thought I was nuts for buying 10. So did SWMBO thought I was too.  Seems like 10 is not outrageous at all. LOL.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

hondabbq said:
    RO 20 lbers went on sale for $9.97 couple of days ago. I thought I was nuts for buying 10. So did SWMBO thought I was too.  Seems like 10 is not outrageous at all. LOL.
    That is a good deal...where did you find that? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.