Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs?

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited April 2013 in Pork
Seen a lot of turbo rib posts but always liked my ribs low and slow so never paid attention to the time and foil bit. Just went to get ribs out for dinner and somebody froze them. If I can't get them thawed in an hour I'll have to go turbo. Can anyone help out a fellow American with the time and temp please?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Seen a lot of turbo rib posts but always liked my ribs low and slow so never paid attention to the time and foil bit. Just went to get ribs out for dinner and somebody froze them. If I can't get them thawed in an hour I'll have to go turbo. Can anyone help out a fellow American with the time and temp please?
    warm water will thaw those in 30 minutes. Will they fit in your sous vide?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.)
    350 indirect 1hr 40 min.
    Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
    Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Thanks Mick. Got them on about half an hour ago. I'll slow smoke this batch and eat late. I'll try next time

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options

No, I thought of that but I use a big stock pot. I thought they took longer sous vide

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

No, I thought of that but I use a big stock pot. I thought they took longer sous vide
    I was just talking for the thaw. I use it all the time. i just set it at 135 and stuff thaws in minutes
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah, I thought that after I replied. I just nuked them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeah, I thought that after I replied. I just nuked them
    or you could do that

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    I'm used to low and slow as well, but yesterday I went 300 temp at grate, with three racks high in the dome. Pulled them after 3 hours, and they were just the way I like them.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Ran into a similar issue to LS, wanted to do a low and slow, but ran short on time. Tried to dial it in to 300° grate, but I lost it a bit and it hovered between 310-315°. Am I still looking for the same doneness signs? Like the bend test?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario